The Hook Debate: Palm in or Palm down? (17 threads mashed together, have fun)

mj-laughing.gif

So is everyone for the most part agreeing it is acceptable to keep your shoulders up? Nobodys posted yet to tell me I am wrong, and Im just curious of what the general concensus is about the shoulder thing. If im wrong, Im wrong....thats fine...was just curious if I was ass wrong about the shoulder thing as the instructor was telling me or if one school of thought was being completely dismissed as wrong by someone who was shown differently.

im wondering if shoulders up/down should be a thread (or threads) in itself.

I prefer how I was taught, which was to follow what happens naturally/anatomically (ideally in order to maximize power transfer).

Try this:

Hang your hand at your side, then bring your hand up so your arm is bent at 90 degrees, keeping your elbow fixed at your side...and make a fist.

Look at your fist - your fist should be thumb up, pinky down in relation to the floor.

Now begin slowly raising your elbow out and up until your upper arm is level with your shoulder, and observe what happens to your fist. As your elbow goes up, your fist steadily turns until when your elbow is even with your shoulder, your palm is now facing straight down.

Thats more or less telling you what is the correct form to throw your hooks anatomically and with max power.

Basically, the angle of your fist changes depending on whether you are throwing to the body or the head in order to maximize power.

If you are throwing more as a deceptive hook (i.e. where you need distance and not power) then you can get more range by turning the fist /palm in/ to the head...but its a sloppier hook with less power since you will extending it beyond its ideal range (you are extending the elbow past 90 degrees, and relying more on your bicep for stabilization/power transfer instead of bone/ligament).

Thus, I only throw a hook like that to setup something else, i.e. a low kick to the leg.

nice...makes sense to me, anatomically but im no kinesiology expert.

no idea but i got to see Chuck's last fight live...which happened to be against Rich:

GYI0060731860.jpg

i thought it was all preference. In any case, bare knuckles to a skull isnt a good idea.

true...isnt there a saying about striking with a hard surface to a soft target and a soft one to a hard target?

incorrect... exact opposite. Also, you don't use your bicep at all when throwing a hook, you use the twisting motion of your torso to gain power and speed the hand just goes for a ride. Which is also why you pivot your feet.:D

how do you keep your arm in that hook position if youre not using the bicep at all?

i do exactly the opposite to that picture.
my left hook is my money punch,i could not get power punching like that but im speaking for myself only.

Payak before his conversion to being a former Thai monk? :eek:

WTF? People wipe their asses standing up? How would you even do that? My asscheeks would clench on the stuff I wanted to wipe.

i never even considered it as a possibility until my sophomore year in college. walked into the bathroom and saw my Russian buddy's head sticking up above the stall door. when we questioned him about it, he explained it so matter of factly that i questioned if id been doing it wrong myself the whole time.

since then, ive embraced using both styles, depending on the situation. horses for courses, as they say...

So uhhh, how do you throw a hook now?

So uhhh, how do you throw a hook now?

im not sure that question can ever be answered...its like the chicken or the egg. i coulda swore i made this thread myself as a noob but i evidently didnt (looking through my thread posting history).

can we get this stickied?

I can add it to the "Instructional Threads" Sticky, you know, the thread no one ever looks in when they need an instructional thread or think one should be stickied...stuckied...whatever.

I can add it to the "Instructional Threads" Sticky, you know, the thread no one ever looks in when they need an instructional thread or think one should be stickied...stuckied...whatever.

Good effort

Back