The Hook Debate: Palm in or Palm down? (17 threads mashed together, have fun)

I feel both have their uses, and most often when used in tandem they are effective. If your tying to get some fast combinations while in tight using Palm down is awesome for giving a 1-2-1 and then popping over that defense real quick with a hook. Using the Palm in to close distance with a lead hook or a followup to some jabs is always good too. Personalky i use the palm in method more. I feel the horizontal alinmemt of the glovd allows for better contact on your taget but YMMV.

I agree with the OP and just never understood why there have been debates on this since both are PROVEN effective.

My Muay Thai coach taught me palm in is stronger, safer for your hand and feels more natural , he also told me palm down is popular in boxing because gloves have sensors so you can point a little bit further but if you want to knock the guy palm in is the best...

Why is palm in safer and stronger? Also since when do boxing gloves have sensors?

Depends on the angle of my upper body. In tight, I prefer a palm down hook all day. Outside boxing, especially with my weight back, palm in.

Came here to say this.

In tight (where you can actually reach with an elbow strike), palm down and keep the elbow elevated (same height as the fist).

Any further than what can be reached with an elbow strike and I like palm in and I might let the elbow drop a bit (not much, but it will be lower than the fist)

Last edited:
Why is palm in safer and stronger? Also since when do boxing gloves have sensors?

My coach told me is less risky for the hand and feels more natural and stronger, we have made the test but do it on a heavy bag and the box gloves comment was about olympic boxing, were you need to get your arm further to get points .

tumblr_m77bneu5Gs1qaa8d1o1_r1_500.gif

Danny+Garcia+Knockouts+Rod+Salka.gif

joe-frazier-knocks-ali-down-o.gif

I guess they both work under the right circumstances.

My coach told me is less risky for the hand and feels more natural and stronger, we have made the test but do it on a heavy bag and the box gloves comment was about olympic boxing, were you need to get your arm further to get points .

At the olympics there are still judges scoring whatever they think lands it isn't with sensors as far as I know. It's 3 judges and all of them or 2 not sure right now have to push a button at the same time for a punch to score.
And for the next Olympics there's proper scoring being brought back anyway

At the olympics there are still judges scoring whatever they think lands it isn't with sensors as far as I know. It's 3 judges and all of them or 2 not sure right now have to push a button at the same time for a punch to score.
And for the next Olympics there's proper scoring being brought back anyway

Well maybe sensors are in the helmet too, I don

Almost always palm in. I really struggle throwing palm down hooks now, always feel like I'm going to catch my little finger/knuckle.

Almost always palm in. I really struggle throwing palm down hooks now, always feel like I'm going to catch my little finger/knuckle.

I have the same hesitation, I think it's a matter of getting accustomed to it.

Palm in, but my coach told me it's up to me as long as I concentrate on my knuckles

Here is the ultimate advice

"now move out
palms up or palms down
back up, back up
tell me what ya gonna do now ...

keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (what)
keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (come on)
keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (yeah)
keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' "

basically, Limp Bizkit suggests using the cork screw technique = rollin':

tumblr_ndi7pafjAD1qgqqg8o1_400.gif

More in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gg8-ehDUo0

Last edited:
My take:
Palm down: A faster, more powerful punch. Less range, but less travel motion as well. Good for "sitting down on your punches", but makes you less mobile. Mechanically, your shoulder, elbow, forearm, and wrist is more parallel to the floor and punching power generated at the core translates more directly into the target.

Palm in: a punch with greater range and a wider arc. Mechanically harder to keep parallel to the ground; your wrist will probably be above your elbow, so some of the impact is lost at an upward angle. It's easier to stay mobile while throwing this kind of punch, so it's good for angling off or mixing in combinations.

They should be both be part of your arsenal.

My gym teaches palm in. Their reasoning is that if you catch someone with it palm in, the force of the strike will be equally distributed across the knuckles. If you throw a hook that falls short with your palm down, that's usually how you break the knuckle of the pinky taking all of the force in such a small area.

My gym teaches palm in. Their reasoning is that if you catch someone with it palm in, the force of the strike will be equally distributed across the knuckles. If you throw a hook that falls short with your palm down, that's usually how you break the knuckle of the pinky taking all of the force in such a small area.

But ideally you aren't supposed to hit with all knuckles but just the one of your index and middle finger

4 punch combos, Palm down. 3 punch combos (ending with the hook) Palm in

Take it from somebody with years of shoulder injuries-palm down puts more stress on your shoulders, and is the weaker punch for most people. Palm in forces your biceps and forearm muscles to help support the motion=less stress on your shoulders.

Back