The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

Fairtex is top of the line overall probably.

zzz, do you wrap your hands? If not then start. My top 2 choices for you are the Ringside IMF Tech bag gloves or some sexy brown Boons

zzz, do you wrap your hands? If not then start. My top 2 choices for you are the Ringside IMF Tech bag gloves or some sexy brown Boons

He already addressed that in his original post: "I also use wrist support bandages on top of 5-meter Thai style wraps (Twins wraps non-Mexican elastic)"

I apologize for the long post in advance lol

I am in the process of getting some new gloves, purely for pad and bag work. I am only a beginner, going to a boxing gym once a week for about 8 months now. My current gloves are these Top Ten Fight Elite Bag Gloves in size L, http://www.fighters-europe.com/top-ten-fight-elite-bag-gloves-product-9105 but it really bothers me that its weight is not listed, it is likely that size L means 12 or 10 oz, also likely that it has the same foam as IMFs, they do feel really dense. These gloves feel great, seems sturdy in construction (but I only train once a week on top of my day job). But with these gloves I often get sore left wrist when throwing lead hooks, in particular hooks to the body. The soreness is beginning to affect my jabs, leading to my decision to buy a second pair of gloves, the regular kind with a full thumb, for better hand protection. Concurrently I am still trying to correct the way I throw punches to avoid injuries.

I am really struggling in deciding if I should go 12 or 14 oz, and if I should continue with using a glove with stiffer IMF-like padding, or the softer, thicker, pillow-like padding of Twins.

I am 164cm / 5.34 foot; and 53kg / 116.8 lbs

My hands hands are very small and I am cursed with a bum thin wrist, therefore compact hand compartment and wrist support are my top requirements. I also use wrist support bandages on top of 5-meter Thai style wraps (Twins wraps non-Mexican elastic)

I am inclined towards Thai brands, as I live in Asia and prefer to buy from stores who ship from Thailand for cheaper shipping. I really can't buy from Ringside or Title as the shipping as I would be paying $50 in shipping for a $80 glove.

My current short list of is as follows, please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Top King Supers : I am more inclined toward the all leather construction of Supers over the mesh palm featured on the Airs, but concerned about reviews saying that they feel pillow-like, although the external size is considered here as smaller than Twins. Posts here indicate TKs have the snug hand compartment I am looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120996742744?var=420097226703

Raja RBGV-1 : Review posts here indicate that Rajas has larger external size and large hand compartment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120999130318?var=420098122753

Boon- I've read that it offers the best wrist support, is the most compact of the gloves I've listed, and it really forms to your hand over time. However it is only available in 12oz and below and often out of stock. The foam is also reported to be quite thin and soft, offering less protection?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Boon-Mu...=450159196135&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I am also looking at Fairtex BVG9 Heavy Hitter Mexican Style (I like the impact feedback of dense foam, but I also worry about them being rougher on my hands... The there's the popular staples Fairtex BVG1 and Twins BGVL3.

Thanks for your time and any replies are appreciated.

I would look at the Fairtex BGL7 (lace up verson of the BGV9) and have someone lace them up for you. The padding will be hard for the first 10-20 rounds then break into to a great glove. However, there is a weird finger bar that some people dislike.

I have owned 4 pair of boon gloves a 14oz, 12oz, 16oz, and a 10oz. Each glove has a different hand compartment, that does not follow the standard model (i.e., >oz = >hand compartment). Ironically, the 10oz fit my 6'3 self the best (one of the best gloves i have ever owned), and the 14oz do not even fit my thumbs...

The new Raja gloves I sell at my gym are better then all Fairtex, Top King and Twins.

Twins - gloves are good quality very durable and take plenty of abuse and fit well, same for the shinpads.

Top King - Shinpads are simply the best on the market without question,comfort and padding is superb. Gloves seem to be ok so far.

King - Shinpads are ill fitting and best not bothering with, Gloves are a different shape but seem ok.

Fairtex - Gloves are very nice and comfortable but not as durable when compared to Twins. Shinpads are good- they have a few different models.

Boon - Gloves are nice, not a fan of the old shinpads but the new ones look like a great improvement.

Windy - Gloves are tough as, not the prettiest brand though.

Boons in red are the best gloves i've used yet!!

zzz808303, if you've got small hands, I'd definitely encourage you to look into the Top King's. The hand compartments are very compact and snug, and the wrist support is glorious. They're also considered a "puncher's glove", so you'll have a lot of padding and support for your hands (I had heard that the gloves were originally designed for Anuwat, but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or just the rumor, since we're talking about Kaewsamrit haha).

They're also considered a "puncher's glove", so you'll have a lot of padding and support for your hands

My understanding of a "punchers glove" is that they have a lack of padding not a lot.

My understanding of a "punchers glove" is that they have a lack of padding not a lot.

In boxing terms, yes, you're definitely right.

I was thinking more in terms of MT, i.e. the Twins are more of a defensive/clincher's glove with more padding on the base of the backhand while the Top Kings are more front-heavy for more weight into punches.

I probably just botched the terminology royally haha! :redface:

Boon(gloves+belly pads)
Fairtex(solid all around)
Twins(same as fairtex just less $)
Windy(tear-drop bags)

I think major brands make gym branded gear. Like Top King making Baukaw's gym brand.

depends really, I would NOT cut your own holes though, either way with or without vent holes you need to air out your gloves. The vent holes are WHILE you are using it so if you are a heavy hand sweater that make pose an issue if not, shouldn't effect anything.

Agreed. Do not cut your own holes!!!

Where did you order these from?

I myself would return them. Thats a pretty big mistake.

I only have experience with one brand of MT gloves: INTER

I first became aware of the brand when I saw Ernesto Hoost wearing their shorts in an old school K1. I have a pair of 14 hook/loops. They are the same width as a 16oz Reyes. The padding is very, very protective to the knuckles but a tad stiff and requires a bit of breaking in before use in sparring.

You can find these on a facebook search "Inter Muay Thai." There are 2 pages, one has more pics of gear and the other has more pics of shorts.

hey guys i ordered some Boon gloves but there's a small problem. the left hand glove does not have ventilation holes cut on the palm, the right one does. should i exchange them or cut the holes myself. is it even a big deal? like if the lack of ventilation holes will have too much sweat built up and rot out the leather?
everything else about the gloves are as perfect as can be.

If you have a proper leather punch it will be fine I have done it myself to my fairtex bgv-9's

Santa can u take a pic of it and post it? Im curious to what it looks like.

Santa can u take a pic of it and post it? Im curious to what it looks like.

Sure, it just, in a few days after I get my camera back from my friend (he took it camping).

It is the same tool they used to put the holes in the thumb portion. I also use it to add belt holes and whatnot.

Back