The Heavyweight Division is An Embarrassment

Says a lot about the state of the division now when Lewis was considered a top new prospect. Hes heavy handed and thats it.

Stipe and Ngannou are good, but the division as a whole is at one of its weaker points in history.

The HW division has been mostly stale since PRIDE days. Cain, JDS and even Brock gave it some life but it did not last long. Ngannou is the only new generation fighter that is close to being a prospect and there are some question marks around him.

These 'athletes' make our sport look bushleague. Their athleticism is non-existent. Their gas tanks? What gas tanks? Skill? Psh. We just watched two obese men do very poor kickboxing. We need more athletes like Francis Ngannou to give this division some actual legitimacy.
Athlete =/= gas tank, being ripped =/= being athletic.

HW division is good for one thing - first round knockouts. Other than that, it has little to offer.

Maybe people like it because it's most similar to real life fights in that they don't have the endurance to last more than a couple minutes and their athletic abilities are extremely limited so you're just seeing wild slugging, which I would assume is what most casual fans think fighting consists of or is most relatable to their own abilities/knowledge.
I'll take that over 5rds of dancing in the mighty mouse division

Dana couldn't find the fighters they are playing football and basketball etc

Man, you just saw a 5'10 guy take out a much bigger man through having better fundamentals and cardio. Lewis is unpolished and should learn to jab, but he is quite light on his feet for a 300 lbs guy. Hunt is the mma version of David Tua and is knocking bigger, stronger guys out at 43 years of age. That's what heavyweight fighting is all about, but you guys are so desperate for NFL and NBA to be the "best athletes" that you have to insult it. Guess what, Kevin Durant or JJ Watts would both have been eating through straws if you had dropped them in there with Hunt tonight.

Exactly. Quite frankly Lewis showed some outstanding athleticism, and Hunt is always fast as shit with amazing cardio for a 270 lb guy

Lewis has outstanding athleticism? Because he threw a switch kick? I think that says everything about HW.

You must think Kevin Randleman was like Lebron James if you think Lewis is athletic.

Man, you just saw a 5'10 guy take out a much bigger man through having better fundamentals and cardio. Lewis is unpolished and should learn to jab, but he is quite light on his feet for a 300 lbs guy. Hunt is the mma version of David Tua and is knocking bigger, stronger guys out at 43 years of age. That's what heavyweight fighting is all about, but you guys are so desperate for NFL and NBA to be the "best athletes" that you have to insult it. Guess what, Kevin Durant or JJ Watts would both have been eating through straws if you had dropped them in there with Hunt tonight.

Quite light on his feet...Derrick Lewis...

Are you watching the same fight as everyone else? Stipe must be light as a feather if Lewis was light on his feet.

And are you serious saying that the NFL and NBA don't have better athletes?

What does the TS Want to see someone doing the pommel horse and 40 yard dash its a fight if you want to see great athletes watch the olympics Hunt always brings it and that's what most fight fans care about not who can do an Olympic gymnastic level floor routine.

Lewis has outstanding athleticism? Because he threw a switch kick? I think that says everything about HW.

You must think Kevin Randleman was like Lebron James if you think Lewis is athletic.

Who gives a shit how athletic Lebron James is when all he does with that athleticism is put an orange ball in a net? Don't compare that shit with fighting.

Agreed OP. I'm gunna tweet White & tell him not to stop with Flyweights - he can cut the HW division while he's at it for all I care

Quite light on his feet...Derrick Lewis...

Are you watching the same fight as everyone else? Stipe must be light as a feather if Lewis was light on his feet.

And are you serious saying that the NFL and NBA don't have better athletes?

I don't really care if NBA and NFL have got better athletes, because those guys aren't fighting. They run around with orange or oval balls dressed in weird clothes, doing pointless stuff. I don't care if guys working construction or flipping burgers are great athletes either. Fighting's what I care about and I respect fighters.

'Champions' not defending makes our sport look bushleague

Who gives a shit how athletic Lebron James is when all he does with that athleticism is put an orange ball in a net? Don't compare that shit with fighting.

Yeah the biggest skill in basketball is being tall. If it wasnt, then the average height wouldnt be 6'8 or whatever it is. Dont u have a 20% chance of being in the fucking NBA if you're a 7'0 tall American? Thats insane. Athleticism....skill? lol.

The HW division is a joke but anyone holding basketball up as a supreme sport can simmer fucking down

I don't know how you have mma without the Heavyweights wtf

They quit looking for talent when they saw they couldn't sign Fedor.

Who gives a shit? Do you know how many people watch basketball? Like 20 times more than MMA.

But I wasn't comparing Lebron with Lewis. I was comparing Randleman with Lewis. Randleman was athletic. Lewis isn't. Not by a long shot.

Yeah the biggest skill in basketball is being tall. If it wasnt, then the average height wouldnt be 6'8 or whatever it is. Dont u have a 20% chance of being in the fucking NBA if you're a 7'0 tall American? Thats insane. Athleticism....skill? lol.

The HW division is a joke but anyone holding basketball up as a supreme sport can simmer fucking down

I love MMA more than any other sport. But to say that basketball is all about height...wow.

It is far harder to play basketball on an elite level than MMA. A 6-10 guy with 5 months of training has a puncher's chance at KOing a UFC heavyweight. A 6-10 guy with 5 months of basketball training has zero chance of scoring 1 basket in the NBA.

Back