@red
Reaction score
My personal favorites are:
Chuck Berry
Kieth Richards
Steve Cropper
Jimmy Page
Pete Townsend

Who are yours and why? What are some of your favorite songs that have great rythmn parts?

Last edited:
Steve Cropper

Good man for mentioning him, he never gets enough love.

Malcolm Young and James Hetfield are the quintessential rhythm guitarists for hard rock/metal, I would say.

Guys like Tom Fogerty, too.

I always liked Eddie Van Halen's rhythm work more than his lead.

But, my favourite example for rhythm guitar is on this track.

Still not sure if it is Lou Reed or Sterling Morrison, or maybe both of them. But it is awesome

Dave Mustaine
Scott Ian
Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman
Gary Holt/Rick Hunolt
Eric Peterson

As much as I hate to say it James Hetfield in probably top 5.

Guitarists whose rhythm work i enjoy:

James Hetfield
Malcolm Young
Brian May
Steve Jones
Dave Mustaine
Scott Ian
Jerry Cantrell
Dave Davidson
Alex Lifeson
Pin + Dan Weller

Malcolm Young.

Certainly not the most technically gifted guitarist in the thread but the driving force behind hit after hit.

Malcolm Young.

Certainly not the most technically gifted guitarist in the thread but the driving force behind hit after hit.
are there any less famous guitarist from the 70's you dig? I remember you mentioning linda rondstats guitarist.

are there any less famous guitarist from the 70's you dig? I remember you mentioning linda rondstats guitarist.
Waddy Wachtel played on some of Ronstadt's stuff. He was with Warren Zevon, most notably.
Robbie Robertson has a pretty unique style too.

Waddy Wachtel played on some of Ronstadt's stuff. He was with Warren Zevon, most notably.
Robbie Robertson has a pretty unique style too.
I love the band. If you dig them you might like Roy Buchanan. I heard that is where Robbie learned his pinch harmonics from.

No order,
Hetfield
Bob Weir
FZ and Jimi even though most praised for lead playing

I love the band. If you dig them you might like Roy Buchanan. I heard that is where Robbie learned his pinch harmonics from.
I've listened to some Buchanan. Good stuff.

If we're getting more rootsy, I always enjoyed Chet Atkins rhythm style, though he's obviously better known for his lead playing.

Ah yeah, I forgot a couple:

James Burton and Scotty Moore, both played guitar for Elvis.

I especially like Burton, the chickenpicking style is something I have tried to emulate.

Tony Iommi.

It is crazy how this guy does not get mentioned when people talk about all time great guitarists. I can understand, b/c most people judge a guitarist by how fast his fingers move, but this guy wrote some of the greatest riffs ever. Black Sabbath was way more original and ahead of their time than Led Zepp also

“Heavy metal, the true heavy metal, was started with Tony Iommi.” Rolling Stone magazine -

http://www.tonyiommifantastic.com/a...slash-hetfield-janick-gers-henry-rollins.html

Last edited:
The entire Fair Warning album is a clinic on rhythm guitar playing.

Tony Iommi.

It is crazy how this guy does not get mentioned when people talk about all time great guitarists. I can understand, b/c most people judge a guitarist by how fast his fingers move, but this guy wrote some of the greatest riffs ever. Black Sabbath was way more original and ahead of their time than Led Zepp also

“Heavy metal, the true heavy metal, was started with Tony Iommi.” Rolling Stone magazine -

http://www.tonyiommifantastic.com/a...slash-hetfield-janick-gers-henry-rollins.html

Iommi gets his props when talking about riff writers. Problem is, most GOAT guitarist lists focus on guys that show off their talent with great solos. So Tony doesn't get the love there.

Is what it is

Back