The Greatest Heel No one remembers: Gino Hernandez

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just wanted to do a quick shout out to Gino Hernandez a huge star during the late 70's and early 80's

Formed the Original Dynamic Duo with Tullly Blanchard in South West Championship Wrestling and it was a period that Tully called the finest of his career even with all the Horseman stuff he did later

Went to World Class in the 80's and became the premier opponent for the Von Erichs. Drew huge houses and formed another version of the Dynamic Duo with Chris Adams. Led to a Hair vs Hair match with the Dynamic Duo vs Kerry and Kevin Von Erich that drew 40,000 people in 1985.

Ended up passing away of a drug overdose in early 1986. Was part of the boom period for World Class Championship Wrestling but also was part of its demise as with his death WCCW lost one of their main attractions.

At the time Tully Blanchard has gone on record stating Gino was in negotiations to come in to Jim Crockett Promotions to be a member of the Four Horseman

Gino was also negotiating with Vince to potentially come in with Chris Adams to be the Dynamic Duo in the WWF.

The Guy had it all. Great look. Good wrestler. Amazing heat seeker. Would have done well in either company but would have probably done better in JCP as a horseman. The perfect fit

Last edited:
HZFseM.gif

I remember him
I could see Vince bringing him in to be the Million Dollar Man and Gino woulda been great at it
Much more of a playboy Ric Flair version than the Dibiase version that we eventually got
I can see the vignettes now
Gino in a limo and at a nightclub surrounded by 80's style skinny coked up blondes

Would have been a natural to have him face Razor Ramon. Coke head who didn't pay up and Ramon coming to collect.

Before my time, but hearing the tales of him in WCCW and such makes me sad I didn't get to see him.

Chael P. Sonnen carrying his legacy on by stealing his promos, lol

Gino Hernandez was fantastic. I loved his team with Gentleman Chris Adams. It's sad that they're both dead now. Hernandez could have been huge. He had all of the tools necessary.

His death made Heroes of World Class an endless tragedy for me as I was caught utterly off-guard when he died (and more so when Adams died especially as he appeared to be an interview subject for the film proper). I knew about the Von Erich's so I thought I was prepared for grim but I sure as hell was wrong. For those not from Texas or alive definitely watch the whole film some time.

His death made Heroes of World Class an endless tragedy for me as I was caught utterly off-guard when he died (and more so when Adams died especially as he appeared to be an interview subject for the film proper). I knew about the Von Erich's so I thought I was prepared for grim but I sure as hell was wrong. For those not from Texas or alive definitely watch the whole film some time.

Whats the name of the film you are referring to? Definitely interested

Whats the name of the film you are referring to? Definitely interested
Heroes of World Class is a near 3 hour film produced before Kevin and family sold their footage library to WWE (who later produced a rather lame documentary on the same subject known as Triumph & Tragedy) that is simply put my pick as the best wrestling doc ever made. It is as comprehensive as it could get, with extensive interviews with all important living subjects (including other shoots with deceased personnel) and unbelievable first hand accounts from WCCW's booker Gary Hart (who at one point recollects an airport visit where World Class was being aired on syndication and was horrified he was the only living man on the show). It features Kevin's return to the Sportatorium right before it was torn down that still had earmarks left by his family even though it was a homeless drug den at that point.

It used to be on youtube in full but I can't seem to find it right now sadly.

Edit: I pointed out two minor spoilers but this one is too big to be put out without warning:
Kevin reveals that his father took the pistol that Kerry took his own life with, aimed it at him, and said that if he was a man he'd join his brothers.

Heroes of World Class is a near 3 hour film produced before Kevin and family sold their footage library to WWE (who later produced a rather lame documentary on the same subject known as Triumph & Tragedy) that is simply put my pick as the best wrestling doc ever made. It is as comprehensive as it could get, with extensive interviews with all important living subjects (including other shoots with deceased personnel) and unbelievable first hand accounts from WCCW's booker Gary Hart (who at one point recollects an airport visit where World Class was being aired on syndication and was horrified he was the only living man on the show). It features Kevin's return to the Sportatorium right before it was torn down that still had earmarks left by his family even though it was a homeless drug den at that point.

It used to be on youtube in full but I can't seem to find it right now sadly.

Edit: I pointed out two minor spoilers but this one is too big to be put out without warning:
Kevin reveals that his father took the pistol that Kerry took his own life with, aimed it at him, and said that if he was a man he'd join his brothers.

Sweet! Ever since I read your response, I looked all over the internet.
FINALLY found a link to the documentary. Starting it right now

https://ewingoset.info/aGt2RFkJCQUwZh0ZGnkxHB8GN3xbKlN2H01ZMDAxDR0fIDwHRRshfFotGS5uHlIPKW5dCh1z

lkrwtf.gif

I had always heard that quote from Fritz but never knew where that story was told. So sad.

Let's be clear here, in World Class the Von Erich's drew huge houses not Gino Hernandez. He might have been a good heel but people went to see the brothers.

Those Von Erich boys were rock stars down there.

Back