The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

I am utterly disappointed by android tablet market. Samsung produces expensive poopoo, while the Chinese put out hundreds of phone models but not one decent tablet.
Yep. It's a heaping pile of shit: the whole market.

Hands down the best deal on tablets is the previous year's iPad model (16B baseline= $329 MSRP, now) or the iPad Mini 4 (128GB model on Amazon= $345 right now)

My 2013 Nexus7 tablet is still very functional. What a great device. Meanwhile my kids iPad minis are now off updates and rebooting all of the time.

Hands down the best deal on tablets is the previous year's iPad model (16B baseline= $329 MSRP, now) or the iPad Mini 4 (128GB model on Amazon= $345 right now)
It is not even about the price. The Android tablet comparable to top android phones in technologies simply does not exist.

Is the tablet market still a viable business?

the-tablet-market-just-keeps-on-falling.jpg

so any good smartphones coming up for 2018? thinking of upgrading soon from my OnePlus2

Yeah, I'm still using my 2013 Nexus 7 Tablet, I've looked on the market but nothing seems worth buying. This Tablet is still a beast and it only cost me $150 at the time.

They need to make a 3rd generation, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I'm still using my 2013 Nexus 7 Tablet, I've looked on the market but nothing seems worth buying. This Tablet is still a beast and it only cost me $150 at the time.

Yeah it is a good device. Would buy a new version as well, though would prefer a screen bigger than 7"

Yeah it is a good device. Would buy a new version as well, though would prefer a screen bigger than 7"

With bezels going to virtually zero they could do 8" in the same footprint as the Nexus 7.

Last edited:
With bezels ging to virtually zero they could do 8" in the same footprint as the Nexus 7.
I wouldn't mind it being bigger. With a tab you actually nrrd some space around the screen to hold it. And we mostly use pads for media and games, so big screens are good.

I wouldn't mind it being bigger. With a tab you actually nrrd some space around the screen to hold it. And we mostly use pads for media and games, so big screens are good.

8" would be very nice for mobility. For larger, a pixel with a detachable screen as a tablet mode would be better.

8 yrs ago I had an idea for a scalable phone/tablet/laptop idea. imagine a pixel book with a slot for your cell phone. that gives you wireless data in a laptop. the keyboard would add battery and a more powerful processor as you're likely to need the most power when you are using a keyboard. THe screen could detatch from the keyboard. That would be a large screen. The screen only mode would only have wifi, a battery and a GPU.

Mick. Dumb question here but is 16gb even functional? According to my phone the system is using 7.5 gb already. That would leave less than 8 gb available on a 16 gb iPad. Would that ultimately effect performance? IE slow everything down?

Mick or anyone else that understands batteries...Riddle me this: I have a 2014 Droid Turbo w/ 3900 mAh battery. I'd say first 1.5 years the battery was good. Since then it's been losing steam and the need to charge up is a lot more frequent. Fast forward today you have most flagships that float around 2,700-3,300 mAh. Is it possible that despite the smaller battery on these flagships, they are better optimized, more efficient chipset, better LED/lighting, which would then net the same effect of a phone with 3900 mAh? Or am i way off base?

Mick. Dumb question here but is 16gb even functional? According to my phone the system is using 7.5 gb already. That would leave less than 8 gb available on a 16 gb iPad. Would that ultimately effect performance? IE slow everything down?
No, the big slowdown usually doesn't hit until 80%-90% depending on the drive.

But you're just not going to have any space for apps. It's not 2013, anymore. It's not unusual for game apps, for example, to be 1GB+ these day once you've downloaded the data/obb files. Apps are swelling in size across the board. I sure as hell wouldn't get a 16GB anything at this point.

Mick or anyone else that understands batteries...Riddle me this: I have a 2014 Droid Turbo w/ 3900 mAh battery. I'd say first 1.5 years the battery was good. Since then it's been losing steam and the need to charge up is a lot more frequent. Fast forward today you have most flagships that float around 2,700-3,300 mAh. Is it possible that despite the smaller battery on these flagships, they are better optimized, more efficient chipset, better LED/lighting, which would then net the same effect of a phone with 3900 mAh? Or am i way off base?
Most important consideration for battery size is the screen surface area to battery mAh ratio. This should be understandable because the screen remains the #1 battery drain for virtually every user (regardless of device or operating system) in existence.

Next most important hardware spec is your chipset. More powerful chipsets are bigger drains, so the best phones tend to require larger batteries just to enjoy the same battery lives.

Other than that, battery conditioning has changed the least among all technology types since the inception of the whole iPhone revolution. Everyone is waiting for this dam to break open (tons of money and other resources being poured into R&D on stuff like the glass battery designs). But otherwise, pretty much everything runs on the Lithium Polymer technology, and the battery will simply wear down over time due to all the recharges.

The industry has focused more on making the LED/LCD cells more energy efficient, not the other way around. OLED displays have always drained more energy per cell, so this has been an area of particular concern for the Android manufacturers like Samsung and LG (although Apple has finally transitioned to an OLED display with the iPhone X).

Beyond that, Android phones tend to build up a ton of advertising spam. So every time you open an app, all of those pop-ups, and also hidden processes, will drain the battery. For this reason Android phones out of the box will often enjoy much, much better battery lives than ones that have built up a user profile. Apple's ecosystem (most specifically its revenue structure) works in a way that they are much better able to control and stifle this sort of software spamming. Expert users with root access often block these ads and hidden processes from running, but that's a niche market.

My 2013 Nexus7 tablet is still very functional. What a great device. Meanwhile my kids iPad minis are now off updates and rebooting all of the time.
I had several friends who owned the original Nexus 7, but one in particular who actually used his all the time. He liked it quite a lot. He bought an iPad Air 2 off a friend the first chance he got-- which surprised me. Never looked back. Another friend owned the Nexus 7 2013. He liked it quite a lot. Then the charging port shit out. So he bought a wireless charging station on my advice. Was happy. This worked for about 4 months before it shit out. Now he owns an iPad Mini.

So it goes. That's device to device. As far as objective measurements of which devices have longer relevancy there is no question the iPads enjoy greater longevity. I'm done fighting it, and from the looks of it, so is Google and all their partners.
Google needs to release a device.
Their attentions are divided.
https://store.google.com/us/product/google_pixelbook?hl=en-US

Google Pixelbook
maxresdefault.jpg

google.jpg

Back