The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Note to self and others who might come across the same issue. If your phone freezes often, overheating and restarting by itself then it might be a good time to remove your microsd card to see if the problems still persist. Turns out that was what caused my phone to act up funny. Luckily after formatting the card the phone works fine with it.

Today, Razer revealed why I left that meeting impressed: the Razer Phone is an Android smartphone featuring a 5.72-inch 1440x2560 IGZO display with a 120Hz refresh rate, variable refresh rate technology, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, 64GB onboard storage, and 8GB of RAM. Other features include dual front-facing speakers backed up with Dolby Atmos technology, dual rear 12 MP cameras, an 8 MP front camera, fingerprint reader, a microSD slot capable of up to 2TB capacity, and a 4,000 mAh battery with Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+. According to Razer, that's enough charge for 12.5 hours of video playback, 63.5 hours of audio, or seven hours of Hearthstone straight.

To that end, the high-end hardware is good for more than just gaming. Apps are quick to load, and even quicker to switch between, thanks to the 8GB of RAM. The 120Hz screen is also useful for regular tasks, as it makes scrolling through your Twitter or Instagram timeline smoother than ever, and the IGZO screen's 1440x2560 resolution and Wide Color Gamut looked top-notch. This paired with Dolby Atmos-powered front speakers made for one of the best mobile media experiences I can think of.

Visually, the Razer Phone should appeal to anyone who likes Razer's existing hardware. Taking inspiration from Razer's Blade series of gaming laptops, the phone has a large (but thin—8mm to be precise) aluminum body with sharp corners instead of the rounded edges and glass shells of many recent smartphones like the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8. Like the iPhone, it also foregoes a headphone jack in favor of a single USB-C port. The Razer Phone also uses the popular Nova Launcher Prime, which is known for its customizability—another thing we appreciate as PC gamers. Android-wise, it's on Nougat version 7.1.1, and will receive the upgrade to Android Oreo in spring 2018.

Of course, all these high-end features aren't worth a thing if the accompanying price point puts them out of reach. In fact, I had all but written the phone off throughout my briefing, thinking "yeah this is great, but it probably costs more than $1,000." I was shocked (and pleasantly surprised) when Razer told me it would retail for $700—no other phone on the market has a 120Hz screen, adaptive refresh rate tech, or 8GB of RAM. For comparison, the iPhone 8 also starts at $700, while the Google Pixel 2 starts at $650.

http://www.pcgamer.com/razers-phone-has-a-120hz-screen-available-november-17-for-700/#comment-jump

seems a little pricey for not having

Buy a "gaming phone" to play shit I can already play on my current phone? No thanks.

Or are they making games especially for this phone? Because I can't see that taking off.
Well, for some games, where framerates matter to gamers, such as Vainglory, NOVA, Blitz Brigade, or Bullet Force, for example, your phone won't do it as well. It's running at 60fps, tops, and more likely 30fps, not 120.

But on top of that-- this isn't a niche product. It's a smartphone with better specs than all the other Tier 1 smartphones for less money. This thing is an absolute monster on paper:
  • 5.72" IPS display
  • 2560 x 1440 resolution
  • 120Hz (nobody else does this)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 64GB storage (2TB expandable SDXC slot)
  • Dual 12MP rear cameras; 8MP front camera
  • Dolby front-facing stereo speakers (!!)
  • USB-C w/Quickcharge 4.0
  • 4,000 mAH battery
  • Android Nougat 7.1.1
On top of that it looks like they're catering to the hacker community with an extremely lightweight skin for Android. NOVA Prime is hands down the best launcher out there.

This thing looks incredible, dude. Compare:

Last edited:
Whats the hold up on hologram tech? i want my phone to project itself in 3D

If this is less than $650 you'll have my interest. Doesn't 3180 mah seem a bit of a concern to power 2 screens though? But if this is at&t exclusive it will serve no use for me since im still with big red

I anticipate the #1 issue with the Razer phone will be supply. It's gonna be impossible to get your hands on one.

gladiator-thumbsdown-e1406907315619.jpg

Definition of a gimmick. Huawei is leading the charge in the Chinese domestic market, IMO. The others have fallen behind, a bit.

I just read the Face ID will be accessible by 3rd party apps. I don't need assholes accessing my face's unique datapoints and doing who knows what.

I anticipate the #1 issue with the Razer phone will be supply. It's gonna be impossible to get your hands on one.

gladiator-thumbsdown-e1406907315619.jpg

Definition of a gimmick. Huawei is leading the charge in the Chinese domestic market, IMO. The others have fallen behind, a bit.

they ripped off samsungs concept. i bet its cheap as fuck too

Last night I saw pics of various cracked glass iPhone X's. Why didn't those dumbshits immediately put the glass iPhone in an actual protective case with polycarbonate and silicone?

Last night I saw pics of various cracked glass iPhone X's. Why didn't those dumbshits immediately put the glass iPhone in an actual protective case with polycarbonate and silicone?
iPhones are the devices I see the most without cases. No idea why.

These phones are so thin now, I need a case on mine just to get a decent grip on the thing.

These phones are so thin now, I need a case on mine just to get a decent grip on the thing.
I wanted to get a novelty Game Boy or Nintendo case, but felt actual protection is more important than goofy shit.

A lot of iphone users want people to know they have the latest iphone, and cases may get in the way.

I wanted to get a novelty Game Boy or Nintendo case, but felt actual protection is more important than goofy shit.
I have a 2 and a half year old who likes to use my phone so it’s in one of those ridiculous otter box cases. Definitely worth it for those times she tosses it on the floor.

Can anyone weigh in on what flagship I should get? I'm with Verizon and not interested in the iPhone. That narrows it down to s8, s8+, note 8, pixel 2/xl, and lg v30. Primary wants are good battery, snappy/responsiveness, no lag, minimal to no bloat, headphone port, durability and reliability. Coming from a Droid Turbo 1

Can anyone weigh in on what flagship I should get? I'm with Verizon and not interested in the iPhone. That narrows it down to s8, s8+, note 8, pixel 2/xl, and lg v30. Primary wants are good battery, snappy/responsiveness, no lag, minimal to no bloat, headphone port, durability and reliability. Coming from a Droid Turbo 1
Pixel. As close to vanilla android compared to your other phones selection. What's the point of all that tech when they get bogged down by heavy manufacturer's UI?

Pixel. As close to vanilla android compared to your other phones selection. What's the point of all that tech when they get bogged down by heavy manufacturer's UI?
I hear ya but those display issues (amongst the other reported issues) and lack of headphone port really turn me off on this phone. I'd almost be more inclined to get the Pixel 1 and forgo lack of wireless charging and water resistance

Back