The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v4 (Android & Windows): Curved Screens Taking Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
What phone do you have and what photo/video editing apps do you use?

iPhone 6s Plus
Snapseed, juxtaposer, phonto, picframe, afterfocus, and iMovie

GOAT combination

Safari sucks. Internet explorer sucks. Chrome is the best browser. Is normal.

But internet explorer doesn't just decide "fuck it, i'm just gonna not load this website...so i'm gonna retry to reload this website again" everytime i click a different link.

In some instances I have to reload the same page 5 time just to get it to fully load once. How the fuck does that happen? Is it because apple hates flash? I dunno and I really don't care. The default explorer that comes with the phone should be adequate in simple browsing.

But again, apple sucks donkey dick. it's this trendy hipster thing to go ape shit over the latest iphone, but the reality is that the systems and environment that come with this product are ass backwards.

So like man buns, I'm getting the fuck out of this trend.

But internet explorer doesn't just decide "fuck it, i'm just gonna not load this website...so i'm gonna retry to reload this website again" everytime i click a different link.

In some instances I have to reload the same page 5 time just to get it to fully load once. How the fuck does that happen? Is it because apple hates flash? I dunno and I really don't care. The default explorer that comes with the phone should be adequate in simple browsing.

But again, apple sucks donkey dick. it's this trendy hipster thing to go ape shit over the latest iphone, but the reality is that the systems and environment that come with this product are ass backwards.

I had this moment years back. My iPhone 4 was undersized with shitty storage crappy camera and screen so I bought a note3 and loved it. The battery life deteriorated quickly but a bad ass phone. The lg G4 was awesome too.

There are tons of awesome androids. What are you leaning towards ?

* made in Korea * n.n

Still in love here . There is much less bloat ware on the Note7 compare to the previous versions . It's super fast . Keyboard has improved as well . How is your LG ?

If you're using the stock keyboard I'd also recommend using SwiftKey from the play store. It's better imo.

weren't the canceling the nexus line?
That's real, but only in name. There has been doom and gloom about the Nexus line like 3x before this.

The early leaks about the spiritual successor to the Nexus 7 tablet line, rumored to be contracted to Huawei, show them preparing to re-position the Nexus line under the new "Pixel" umbrella that was launched with the Pixel C. Not sure what they're going to call it exactly (Pixel 7?)

No rumors for a phone, yet, either, so it's possible this is only the splintering of the line (Nexus for phones, Pixel for tablets) but I haven't seen anything confirmed yet.

I had this moment years back. My iPhone 4 was undersized with shitty storage crappy camera and screen so I bought a note3 and loved it. The battery life deteriorated quickly but a bad ass phone. The lg G4 was awesome too.

There are tons of awesome androids. What are you leaning towards ?

My wife has a galaxy and it seems to ...you know...WORK. So maybe a galaxy.

Safari sucks. Internet explorer sucks. Chrome is the best browser. Is normal.

Huh? Safari is so much better than Chrome or IE on mobile right now it's humiliating for Android & Windows, guys. It's literally over twice as fast.

I'm going to quote some benchmarks, but even these don't tell the real story, because Apple's advantage isn't so much how much faster and more capable Safari is at all of these synthetic benchmarks for a browser app's performance in the various ways that it is normally challenged, but because of the incredible amount of optimization from website developers themselves for the iOS platform (sometimes including optimization for Apple on a freaking per-device level).

http://hothardware.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-versus-iphone-6s-plus
JetStream is the replacement follow-on benchmark to SunSpider and it focuses on browser performance as well as javascript processing. Here we're seeing an outlier and it looks like the Galaxy S7's software setup needs a bit of optimization. Apple's iPhone 6S Plus smokes all contenders by a wide margin as well, suggesting great efficiency in their software stack.
Galaxy-S7-JetStream.png

Rightware's BrowserMark test ranks performance of modern mobile web browsers, along with device processing engines, in terms of how well they handle web page loading, screen resizing, and web graphics rendering workloads. In this test, the Samsung Galaxy S7 just edges out the Snapdragon 810 octal-core equipped Google Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S but is surpassed by the octal-core Kirin 950 by a small 5% margin. And again, it's impressive to see how the Apple A9 and Snapdragon 820, with 2 and 4 cores respectively, compete versus the octal-core chips. Performance scaling per core certainly isn't linear.
Update 3/11/2016: We have since refresh Samsung's previous generation Galaxy S6 Edge and Edge+ numbers here and have updated the chart. It was determined the previous scores had anomalies and the new scores show the octal-core Exynos-power GS6 series scores quite well in this test.

You will probably notice the iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 7 aren't on the below chart. That's because the latest version of Safari wasn't compatible with the benchmark upon release of the iPhone 6s models. Nevertheless, you can see at the bottom of this page that 2014's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are still vastly superior to the latest Samsung Galaxy S7 release:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-review-1142p5.php
Galaxy-S7-browsermark.png

dXZaSC.png

Finally, you have Javascript benchmark Kraken. I'm not seeing it tested for the most recent Samsung releases, but it has trailed Apple by even more than it does in the Browsermark for past releases:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6s_plus-review-1316p6.php

zsC7ME.png

Well i guess that's a decent enough option.

Are you still using android or have you made the conversion to Apple? Your posts of late seem to indicate strong preference towards Apple products. Why hasn't any Android manufacturer replicated Apple's ability to optimize their phones to the same level of efficiency? Im totally willing forgo the spec race if it equated to having a buttery smooth experience, good battery life, and overall solid reliability.
No, I'm a root-user, I would have far too much to sacrifice by migrating to Apple.

I'm on a rooted Marshmallow LG G3 (VS985) with the stock firmware (debloated), using Nova Prime's launcher, running the Xposed framework including Lucky Patcher and root-access adblockers.

Huh? Safari is so much better than Chrome or IE on mobile right now it's humiliating for Android & Windows, guys. It's literally over twice as fast.

I'm going to quote some benchmarks, but even these don't tell the real story, because Apple's advantage isn't so much how much faster and more capable Safari is at all of these synthetic benchmarks for a browser app's performance in the various ways that it is normally challenged, but because of the incredible amount of optimization from website developers themselves for the iOS platform (sometimes including optimization for Apple on a freaking per-device level).

JetStream is the replacement follow-on benchmark to SunSpider and it focuses on browser performance as well as javascript processing. Here we're seeing an outlier and it looks like the Galaxy S7's software setup needs a bit of optimization. Apple's iPhone 6S Plus smokes all contenders by a wide margin as well, suggesting great efficiency in their software stack.
Galaxy-S7-JetStream.png

Rightware's BrowserMark test ranks performance of modern mobile web browsers, along with device processing engines, in terms of how well they handle web page loading, screen resizing, and web graphics rendering workloads. In this test, the Samsung Galaxy S7 just edges out the Snapdragon 810 octal-core equipped Google Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S but is surpassed by the octal-core Kirin 950 by a small 5% margin. And again, it's impressive to see how the Apple A9 and Snapdragon 820, with 2 and 4 cores respectively, compete versus the octal-core chips. Performance scaling per core certainly isn't linear.
Update 3/11/2016: We have since refresh Samsung's previous generation Galaxy S6 Edge and Edge+ numbers here and have updated the chart. It was determined the previous scores had anomalies and the new scores show the octal-core Exynos-power GS6 series scores quite well in this test.

You will probably notice the iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 7 aren't on the below chart. That's because the latest version of Safari wasn't compatible with the benchmark upon release of the iPhone 6s models. Nevertheless, you can see at the bottom of this page that 2014's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are still vastly superior to the latest Samsung Galaxy S7 release:

dXZaSC.png

Finally, you have Javascript benchmark Kraken. I'm not seeing it tested for the most recent Samsung releases, but it has trailed Apple by even more than it does in the Browsermark for past releases:

zsC7ME.png
I don't even use safari on my iPhone 6 but when I used to use it on my 4 it felt unstable. Maybe I will go back to it.

No, I'm a root-user, I would have far too much to sacrifice by migrating to Apple.

I'm on a rooted Marshmallow LG G3 (VS985) with the stock firmware (debloated), using Nova Prime's launcher, running the Xposed framework including Lucky Patcher and root-access adblockers.

I know that Androids let you get away with pretty much COMPLETELY configuring everything to your liking, but how close is a jailbroken iPhone to a rooted Android?

I have my phone jailbroken, Flex 3 installed, and I can manipulate almost any app into thinking I have the paid for version or making it think I have FightPass and order PPV's in HD as well.

Can Androids do stuff like this? Do they do it better?

I have only EVER had stability issues when jailbreaking once, and that was because I was on 2 FULL iOS versions behind Apples newest, and stuff just started slowing down. Once the one for 9.3 came out, I got a factory iOS image of 9.3 and re-imaged the phone, along with re-jailbreaking it, haven't looked back. I have been Jailbreaking since my original 3GS BTW.

I like customizing my phone when it comes to how apps work and perform, just never dipped my toes in the Android market because it seems that they are just throwing shit at the wall most of the time, making devices with bigger numbers/specs then Apple just to say, well, they have the bigger numbers, and still under performing.

What am I missing by NOT going Android???

Galaxy-S7-JetStream.png

dXZaSC.png

zsC7ME.png

All these fancy charts and yet I still have to reload any link I click on sherdog up to 5 times because "there was a problem with the website, so it's being reloaded..."

And this happens on both an ipod2 and my iphone. I've googled the issue and it seems to be a "thing"

http://www.techinpost.com/fix-a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage-so-it-was-reloaded-problem
http://www.fixerrs.com/2015/02/a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage-so-it-was-reloaded.1971090/

(and yes I've tried all those fixes)

As of right now...I have a laptop that is over 12 years old, out performing something so simple as WEB BROWSING against both my 5 year old iphone and my 4 year old ipod2.

So either apple makes shitty products that can't last beyond 2 years without disintegrating, or their software sucks as you install your latest "make my iproduct slower" update.

If only one of my apple devices were doing this I'd give apple a pass on this and simply suggest it's the device that's breaking down, but an ipod2 should still be able to load a fucking video without crashing.

Safari sucks ass...

Apple sucks ass...

I base this off of owning two of their products and not some jackass pie chart that crashes my iphone... lol

Last edited:
I know that Androids let you get away with pretty much COMPLETELY configuring everything to your liking, but how close is a jailbroken iPhone to a rooted Android?

I have my phone jailbroken, Flex 3 installed, and I can manipulate almost any app into thinking I have the paid for version or making it think I have FightPass and order PPV's in HD as well.

I have only EVER had stability issues when jailbreaking once, and that was because I was on 2 FULL iOS versions behind Apples newest, and stuff just started slowing down. Once the one for 9.3 came out, I got a factory iOS image of 9.3 and re-imaged the phone, along with re-jailbreaking it, haven't looked back. I have been Jailbreaking since my original 3GS BTW.

I like customizing my phone when it comes to how apps work and perform, just never dipped my toes in the Android market because it seems that they are just throwing shit at the wall most of the time, making devices with bigger numbers/specs then Apple just to say, well, they have the bigger numbers, and still under performing.

Well, I hadn't looked into the jailbroken community in a while. A few of the things you mentioned did not exist that I was aware of on Cydia even several years ago, only on Android, but otherwise, besides the implementation of custom ROM's, perhaps the jailbroken community has grown to rival the functionality of the rooted community on Android. Also greater ease of control over adblocking.

So the choice here is...jailbreak the FUCK out of your iphone, essentially making it no long an apple product...or get a non apple product?

I don't even use safari on my iPhone 6 but when I used to use it on my 4 it felt unstable. Maybe I will go back to it.

Yeah...try safari and load sherdog...browse for a bit and then enjoy the crashing as you wanna load up any shoop thread or thread in general that has a ton of gif's or video in it...

fucking garbage products.

In a word,

TASKER.

This allows me to automate literally everything.
It has touch input which simulates a touch on your screen. This means you can have any software launch and perform a series of activities on your phone which means all the monotony is gone. Boring and repetitive tasks can be automated.

I even have my charger connected to a wifi smart switch and have tasker switch it off when my battery reaches 90 percent.

There are hundreds of other stuff that you can do with tasker and other apps like gmd gesture control which will allow any app to launched by touching any point on your screen. For me rooting is a must.

All these fancy charts and yet I still have to reload any link I click on sherdog up to 5 times because "there was a problem with the website, so it's being reloaded..."

And this happens on both an ipod2 and my iphone. I've googled the issue and it seems to be a "thing"

http://www.techinpost.com/fix-a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage-so-it-was-reloaded-problem
http://www.fixerrs.com/2015/02/a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-problem-occurred-with-this-webpage-so-it-was-reloaded.1971090/

(and yes I've tried all those fixes)

As of right now...I have a laptop that is over 12 years old, out performing something so simple as WEB BROWSING against both my 5 year old iphone and my 4 year old ipod2.

So either apple makes shitty products that can't last beyond 2 years without disintegrating, or their software sucks as you install your latest "make my iproduct slower" update.

If only one of my apple devices were doing this I'd give apple a pass on this and simply suggest it's the device that's breaking down, but an ipod2 should still be able to load a fucking video without crashing.

Safari sucks ass...

Apple sucks ass...

I base this off of owning two of their products and not some jackass pie chart that crashes my iphone... lol
lol I can feel the hate as you type.

lol I can feel the hate as you type.

I absolutely hate everything about apple. It's such a shitty yet trendy/popular product. It is the man bun of cell phones. You look and you see people get excited over them, knowing full well that it's an inferior product/environment...but because of great marketing and being first...everyone HAS to have an iphone, thus further rewarding their shitty direction and choices.

I've developed games for them and their need to have every game run through "x-code" ...like do they not realize that the majority of the market develop games using a fucking PC???

I've got two oh their products and I regret both of them. I'm knee deep into clash of clans and I know I likely can't transfer my account to an android because I-Shit runs under game center...which means I'd have to start over.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate everything about apple. It's such a shitty yet trendy/popular product. It is the man bun of cell phones. You look and you see people get excited over them, knowing full well that it's an inferior product/environment...but because of great marketing and being first...everyone HAS to have an iphone, thus further rewarding their shitty direction and choices.

I've developed games for them and their need to have every game run through "x-code" ...like do they not realize that the majority of the market develop games using a fucking PC???

I've got two oh their products and I regret both of them. I'm knee deep into clash of clans and I know I likely can't transfer my account to an android because I-Shit runs under game center...which means I'd have to start over.
Have you ever tried one of their newer models? the 4s is pretty outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back