The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Problem

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch#Effect_on_marine_life_and_humans

I have been following this issue for a couple of years now. The issue keeps getting worst and no one really seems to care. Out of sight - out of mind. A garbage patch twice the size of Texas that is indiscriminately killing life in the ocean: Seabirds, fish, sea turtles, seals, etc.

I think I have a simple solution. Since this 'garbage patch' lies between the U.S. and Hawaii, I believe the U.S. should take lead in helping get rid of it. Get an oil tanker to park itself in the middle of the patch. Star a leak of oil that would spread throughout much of the garbage. Set it on fire and let it burn itself out. Not sure about the cost of the ship or the oil, but definitely a worth while cause to clean up the ocean and save marine life. How much bigger does this thing need to get before some country, or someone, starts to act on it? I believe there are 5 of these in the planet.

Burning a Texas sized oil patch thats also filled with garbage, yea that will fix the environment

Wish there were more pictures of it, or satellite? Anyone know of any?

Why not just hit it with a few nukes?

We could cancel the wall and just put a quart of the Defense budget towards actual collecting and clean up the problem.

Eventually it will solidify into a land mass and Libertarians will settle on it and found the glorious nation of Trashtopia.

Burning a Texas sized oil patch thats also filled with garbage, yea that will fix the environment

I was just going to say that. Apparently OP never burned much shit as a kid, otherwise he’d know about that thick black smoke that comes from burning oil and plastic, tires etc.

This kid was on the JRE and seems like an interesting dude with some out of the box ideas. I think the prototype has just been deployed.

According to the article, there are a few problems with the collectors and the project. I think the whole thing is too small, and what will they do with the garbage once it is collected? Clean up half the garbage in 5 years?

I was just going to say that. Apparently OP never burned much shit as a kid, otherwise he’d know about that thick black smoke that comes from burning oil and plastic, tires etc.

You missed post #3.

According to the article, there are a few problems with the collectors and the project. I think the whole thing is too small, and what will they do with the garbage once it is collected? Clean up half the garbage in 5 years?

So much of the actual problem is the micro particles of plastic. That's what is killing everything.

We could cancel the wall and just put a quart of the Defense budget towards actual collecting and clean up the problem.
Something we could all agree on and support??m <Lmaoo>

We damn sure know that ain't happening

So much of the actual problem is the micro particles of plastic. That's what is killing everything.

...and we humans are eating the fish being fished in that area. I agree with @trident, maybe the cheaper and environmentally friendly option would be to nuke it. I think folks in California can live with a little radiation in the air. I would pay to go see that mushroom cloud. I would say maybe a 10 megaton underwater explosion.

Here is the Mark 39 with a 4 megaton yield.

Last edited:
Is there any reason those families can't reunite on that thing?

...and we humans are eating the fish being fished in that area. I agree with @trident, maybe the cheaper and environmentally friendly option would be to nuke it. I think folks in California can live with a little radiation in the air. Potential atmospheric test site for North Korea and Iran. I would pay to go see that mushroom cloud. I would say maybe a 10 megaton underwater explosion.

A series of small tactical nukes would actually work better.

Also, theres a 22 year old kid who has an idea to harvest the plastic and make sunglasses out of them.

That's option B.

But nukes could give us a floating beach in the Pacific that would be perfect for a Denny's.

...and we humans are eating the fish being fished in that area. I agree with @trident, maybe the cheaper and environmentally friendly option would be to nuke it. I think folks in California can live with a little radiation in the air. Potential atmospheric test site for North Korea and Iran. I would pay to go see that mushroom cloud. I would say maybe a 10 megaton underwater explosion.

do you really think that would work and destroy a no soild mad twice as big as Texas?

Back