The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now 3 times the size of France

I used to live in Penticton and have been all over BC. Hongcouver is a fantastic city.

Calgary is a very clean city. That's something many visitors comment on. Most of us are quite committed to the recycling effort.

There's just something about wild camping that makes the occasional user think it's no big deal leaving their junk in the bush. Pisses me off. Pack it in, pack it out. I've confronted people about it and will continue to do so.
Lol man I have some stories about confronting litterers

Even more if you count people who don't pick up after their dogs ....

Etc etc lol

On the bright side, isn't this preferable to that much garbage being strewn about the Pacific?
Nature seems to have done some of our work for us, now we just have to remove it.

Lol man I have some stories about confronting litterers

Even more if you count people who don't pick up after their dogs ....

Etc etc lol
Dog shit - in an effort to keep our parks clean we pick up after our pets as we should. Then we put the dog crap in a plastic bag, wrap it up nice and tight, put it in a bin from where it goes to a landfill where the shitty plastic bag sits for centuries! Lol. I don't currently have a dog, but while picking up landmines after my last Rotty I used to think "there must be a better way". Mind you it didn't concern me enough to use paper and carry a pile of mushy poop in my pocket. There's that convenience thing I mentioned earlier. In retrospect i could have sacrificed a reusable Tupperware container for the cause.

People do litter every fucking where. When I go to the river and chill on the sandbar, sometimes I see these bitches leaving beer cans and shit laying around. I have said something to some before, but they didn't do shit...so I picked some of it up. People don't appreciate shit anymore.
This isn't just caused by littering, though. Garbage disposal is still largely a "dump it" approach. It doesn't really matter that you pick up your trash at the river, it's going to end up in the water anyway.

Disposable diapers for example are a HUGE problem.

People vastly underestimate the impact of these islands. Microplastics are spreading.

Does this have anything t
During the election there wasn’t even one republican politcian who believed in climate change. Kasich at some point suggested that it’s real but not to do anything about it.

They believe this because that’s what their constituents believe. Republican voters believe this.

Most polling shows this as well. Most republicans believe it’s an exaggerated concern.

So I pretty much disagree with your premise.

What does this have to do with trash in the ocean?

I can't believe that the MIC hasn't been lobbying congress for a solution.

Surely the US can produce "clean up ships" the size of aircraft carriers that can skim the surface of the ocean collecting the trash.

- Billions into the defense industry.
- Positive vibes from environmentalists.
- US ships patrolling the globe.
- Jobs. Jobs. Jobs.
- Shipping lanes safer to travel through.

I believe it would pollute the ocean even more.

I believe it would pollute the ocean even more.
This got me wondering what the navy's garbage disposal policy is while at sea. Anyone have input?

Quick, conservatives, tell me again how the free market solves all problems...

Actually lately it's the progressive side that has benn most in favour of free-market.

Trump, Brexit, Le Pen are the ones challenging it.

Anyways yes. We are addicted to plastic.

I try as much as I can to buy stuff with no packaging.

Oh and if you live in Germany you are also probably addicted to useless papers sent to you by mail.

I don't see what the problem is. It creates a super fun playground for our marine wildlife. Look how much fun this little guy is having!

marine_debris_tedxgp3.jpg

I say we accelerate our efforts and continue to nurture and grow this thing. We'll have a free pontoon bridge to Asia soon.

The-Great-Pacific-Garbage-Patch-is-now-twice-as-big-as-Texas-850x500.jpg

In the meantime, chill out and grab some waves, gents.

Zak_Noyle_Wave_of_Change.jpg

We absolutely suck as a species

This isn't just caused by littering, though. Garbage disposal is still largely a "dump it" approach. It doesn't really matter that you pick up your trash at the river, it's going to end up in the water anyway.

Disposable diapers for example are a HUGE problem.

People vastly underestimate the impact of these islands. Microplastics are spreading.
Good to know...next time I'll leave my shit laying around too since it doesn't matter. Thanks Tonni

Can it be repurposed to be an island playground for the rich and famous?

I wonder why the right is generally opposed to environmental legislation. Conservative pundits shilling for corporate America, bamboozle the grass-roots to oppose enviro legislation. But that still doesn't explain the opposition from the rank-and-file, because one would assume they can rationalize a better environment is ultimately better for them.

Wonder if it's just a case of opposing environmentalism, because it has come to be identified with liberals????
That and I think even if they do support environmental regulation it might not rank high enough on their priorities to get them to jump parties. A hunter might support environmental regulation but he might not want to vote for the Dems who are also the party of gun control for instance.

There's no proof that humans are responsible for this. Earth has natural pollution cycles. Pollution was way worse 100,000 years ago. Even if we were responsible, we have no idea how responsible. I'm not gonna give my rights away so some whale doesn't get a butterfinger in the blowhole.

Back