The great Gregg Allman has passed away

Jackonfire

BMF Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
52kscm.jpg

Gregg has gone on to reunite with his brother Duane who died in October of 1971

Gregg Allman, the singer, musician and songwriter who played an essential role in the invention of Southern rock, has died at the age of 69. Allman "passed away peacefully at his home in Savannah, Georgia," a statement on the singer's website read Saturday.

Although Allman claimed the term was redundant, the singer-keyboardist helped create the first great "Southern-rock" group as co-founder of the legendary The Allman Brothers Band. alongside his older brother, famed guitarist Duane Allman. The Allmans fused country blues with San Francisco-style extended improvisation, with their sound creating a template for countless subsequent jam bands. Gregg Allman was blessed with one of blues-rock's great growling voices and, along with his Hammond B-3 organ playing (beholden to Booker T. Jones), had a deep emotional power.

"When it's all said and done, I'll go to my grave and my brother will greet me saying, 'Nice work, little brother – you did all right,'" Allman wrote in the last lines of My Cross to Bear. "I must have said this a million times, but if I died today, I've had me a blast. I wouldn't trade [my life] for nobody's, but I don't know if I'd do it again. If somebody offered me a second round, I think I'd have to pass on it."

(Rolling Stone)

He was 69 years old.

DA2-zbtV0AAzp0Y.jpg

Hard to imagine he was only 21 years old when he wrote the now classic Whipping Post. But its not as though he knew what it was he was doing:

"I didn't know the intro was in 11/4 time. I just saw it as three sets of three, and then two to jump on the next three sets with: it was like 1,2,3—1,2,3—1,2,3—1,2. I didn't count it as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11. It was one beat short, but it didn't feel one short, because to get back to the triad, you had two steps to go up. You'd really hit those two hard, to accent them, so that would separate the threes. ... [Duane] said, 'That's good man, I didn't know that you understood 11/4.' Of course I said something intelligent like, 'What's 11/4?' Duane just said, 'Okay, dumbass, I'll try to draw it up on paper for you.'

Last edited:
Time for church y'all

Nah, seriously. Just listen to how Gregg takes this Beatles song and totally makes it his own. Its that voice. That feeling. Lost forever now.

This hit me harder than Cornell. Growing up, I remember going through my mother's hundreds of records, and discovering Whipping Post on their self titled album. Such a great and timeless record.

RIP fellow southern man.

That voice. Blue eyed soul.

That vision

quote-when-i-got-out-of-high-school-i-thought-i-ll-take-a-year-or-two-off-and-play-the-clubs-gregg-allman-85-58-42.jpg

Thank the gods he stuck with music.

Brothers Duane and Gregg doing what they do best

Damn, we lost Trucks awhile back and now this...
Mucho hespecto to an extremely talented guy. Thank you sir for all the memories and hard work put in. Gotta say Midnight Rider
and this one are my favorites from that band:

rest in peace, brother.

A rock n roll legend, in every sense. Whipping Post helped me through many tough times. And I spent many nights, on my own, getting completely lost in the Fillmore East album.

Another Rock legend, lost… Gregg was an amazing talent who had an amazing voice… from Pop, Soul, Blues to Rock, the guy could do it all…

Love this cover...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back