The Gracie Gift Leg on Shoulder Pass (With the Missing Details)

Invisible Jiu Jitsu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

The Gracie Gift Pass was known for being perilous to the user, this video shows the details you might be missing to make it work.

Those are good details. I was also told to block the hip so he cannot elevate. Would blocking the hip with the free hand make you vulnerable to a triangle. I do pressure passing but I try and avoid the Gracie gift. I’ll pass similar to that if I can block that other leg somehow.

Those are good details. I was also told to block the hip so he cannot elevate. Would blocking the hip with the free hand make you vulnerable to a triangle. I do pressure passing but I try and avoid the Gracie gift. I’ll pass similar to that if I can block that other leg somehow.

You can do that too, but if everything else is right it isn't necessary

I was taught this pass with all the little details the same but with two of the bigger details reversed.

You keep good posture and don’t stress where your left arm/elbow is.

I was taught not to keep good posture but instead to never unglue my left elbow from my ribs/controlling their right leg/thigh.

When you make sure to keep your shoulder to their achillies I am making sure to keep my shoulder in the pit of their knee. Almost all details for the rest of the pass are exactly the same.

The one other detail that changes is when you reach the right hand up to the collar. If you reach in deeper as you drive their knee to their face you alleviate some of the concerns you point out in the beginning of the video. From this position, as you are nearing the end of your pass, you begin to put your right elbow to the mat and your left arm pulls back, out from between their legs, and grasps the back of their pants/belt. At this point, if you’ve been driving the knee to the face, their hips should be off the mat. Your left hand pulls up on the pants so that they can not get their hips back down and the weight of their body combined with the right forearm across the throat leads to a choke.

I was also taught to reach back, like you discuss at the end of the video, but there are a few details there that you need to incorporate to make it safe.

If you are comfortable with the pass you’re showing I hope you try out what I’m describing and see if you like it. Even if you just use it as a back up in the event someone does manage to shoot their legs a little deeper on you in a triangle.

I was taught this pass with all the little details the same but with two of the bigger details reversed.

You keep good posture and don’t stress where your left arm/elbow is.

I was taught not to keep good posture but instead to never unglue my left elbow from my ribs/controlling their right leg/thigh.

When you make sure to keep your shoulder to their achillies I am making sure to keep my shoulder in the pit of their knee. Almost all details for the rest of the pass are exactly the same.

The one other detail that changes is when you reach the right hand up to the collar. If you reach in deeper as you drive their knee to their face you alleviate some of the concerns you point out in the beginning of the video. From this position, as you are nearing the end of your pass, you begin to put your right elbow to the mat and your left arm pulls back, out from between their legs, and grasps the back of their pants/belt. At this point, if you’ve been driving the knee to the face, their hips should be off the mat. Your left hand pulls up on the pants so that they can not get their hips back down and the weight of their body combined with the right forearm across the throat leads to a choke.

I was also taught to reach back, like you discuss at the end of the video, but there are a few details there that you need to incorporate to make it safe.

If you are comfortable with the pass you’re showing I hope you try out what I’m describing and see if you like it. Even if you just use it as a back up in the event someone does manage to shoot their legs a little deeper on you in a triangle.

Hey man, i use the suitcase pass a lot, when their hips follow me up high. it's a different pass thpugh. It's ok to reach deeper to switch to the suitcase pass once you've cut your angle a bit cause you don't give away the tricep push escape as easiy. I don't agree wth breaking your posture though and keeping your head though, really bad idea for getting triangled

Hey man, i use the suitcase pass a lot, when their hips follow me up high. it's a different pass thpugh. It's ok to reach deeper to switch to the suitcase pass once you've cut your angle a bit cause you don't give away the tricep push escape as easiy. I don't agree wth breaking your posture though and keeping your head though, really bad idea for getting triangled

Never heard of a suitcase pass so I don’t know if its what I’m describing. Got a link? All google gives me are some weird no gi chokes and generic passing drills.

Not sure what you mean by keeping your head though. Keeping your head low? Bad posture is a bad description, a tripoded type stance where youre up on your toes and head is low with your ear tucked to the leg you’re pinning controlling it with your head and shoulder. Your left elbow keeping tight to your ribs and giving you some control on their hip is the essential part to avoiding the triangle. You’re almost forcing their legs apart with your shoulder pressure to one and left arm keeping the other from closing the distance via framing. And where your upper torso is pushed through their legs in mine almost none of your upper body is between their legs.

yeh, suitcase is gripping his pants and lifting, like you're holding a case.

i meant head DOWN though, missed a word out i think. If what you're doing works on good strong black belts then cool, who am i to argue? :)

I like the detail in the video of having his calf on your shoulder instead of the back of his knee. At my gym, a Ribeiro affiliate, we pass with your shoulder in the back of his kneepit. However, after watching a Joe Morreira video, I saw what happened if you pass with your knee in the back of his calf: his leg is straighter and when I fold forward he's basically incapacitated from his hamstring being stretched out. Resistance disappears because he wants out of the pain and there is no chance whatsoever of a triangle.

I like the detail in the video of having his calf on your shoulder instead of the back of his knee. At my gym, a Ribeiro affiliate, we pass with your shoulder in the back of his kneepit. However, after watching a Joe Morreira video, I saw what happened if you pass with your knee in the back of his calf: his leg is straighter and when I fold forward he's basically incapacitated from his hamstring being stretched out. Resistance disappears because he wants out of the pain and there is no chance whatsoever of a triangle.

yep! that's how i see it :)

Back