The Ghosts of Mt. Everest

I think they are all fucking crazy, with some subconscious death wish.

I've read into this before, there are meant to be hundreds of bodies up there and visible when climbing aswell. Must be like a horror show up there.

Why someone would go to the depths of dying to climb an oversized rock is beyond me but it's usually always those hippy types that wanna do it, maybe they think a bag of gold weed is at the top or something.

The whole death zone thing, were they leave you to die if you can’t carry on, seems horrific to me.

I wonder what those good byes sound like.

How many people attempt to climb Mt Everest annually?
10 ANSWERS

Erik Hille
, Mountaineering in NW, CA & NE since 1983. Most fun with winter summits.
Updated Jul 8, 2017 · Author has 1.9k answers and 1.7m answer views

Just under 1000 people attempt to climb Everest each year and about 500 climbers reach the summit every year, this being a combination of Sherpas, other guides, clients, and professional climbers.

But don't get too excited there is a huge cost to attempting Everest in terms of Holograms (aka Franklins: $30k to $114k), cost of life (either 0% and 100% with around a 4% chance of the later), and the risk of having paid for a story but not a summit (about 50%).

Hologram cost:

“How much does it cost to climb Mount Everest?” is one of the most common questions I get after a talk. The short answer is, a car, or at least $30,000 but most people pay about $45,000. This post is the 2016 update of the most common questions and expedition prices. Everest 2016: How Much Does it Cost to Climb Mount Everest? - The Blog on alanarnette.com

-- previously the number I was told were about double this, but this is a somewhat detailed accounting and here is some explaination --

For decades, western operators like Adventure Consultants, Alpine Ascents (AAI), Jagged Globe, Himalayan Experience (Himex), International Mountain Guides (IMG) and others have guided hundreds to the top of Everest for prices ranging from $40,000 to $65,000, all inclusive

Sorry thought you were responding to the guy talking about Annapurna.

The case of David Sharp really highlights this. The New Zealand team that passed him during their ascent was heavily criticized for not making more of an effort to try and save the hypothermic Sharp, who was dead by the time they were descending.

I feel as though ethics go out the window in that situation as trying to save someone near death is likely only to lead to more death.
the stupid twat that "made" DayZ did something similar to that but had the douchebag response of I paid 250k to climb Everest so wasn't going to attempt to save a guy who probably would've died anyways.

There is I'd guess some truth to the idea that when you've got to a certain stage theres no saving you without putting other lives at risk, your dealing with limited energy reverses at that altitude and trying to carry someone down could be fatal.

I'm no climber but I trekked in the area and if you look at the south face its easy to see why, giant wall over 3500 meters high with a very high snowload.

AnnaSF%2Bon%2B30Sep%2Bigc_6222.30-09.jpg

Going back through this thread and thinking back to what I said before about photos never doing justice to actually standing in person in front of really big mountains, this photo is fucking breath taking.

Yeah, sometimes it is literally impossible to get these bodies down. They accumulate ice which makes them even heavier and more difficult to move.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/24/mount-everest-death-toll-season-four-bodies-found

There are some heart wrenching stories of climbers who have had to leave loved ones to die.

https://mpora.com/mountaineering-ex...-who-die-on-mount-everest#iO1K4pPX0RfXlCT5.97

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.com%2Fmpora_new%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2FFrancis-Arsentiyiv-Descending-to-Body1.jpg
Man, that second link was a tough read. That's got to be agonizing, leaving someone behind. At least that one guy went back to leave a note from that woman's family with her. It's not a lot, but at least it is some type of closure for them. The story about David Sharp was pretty fucked up though. 40 climbers passed him on the way up and didn't help him. I know there usually isn't a lot people can do to help, but in this case it seems like there may have been. Pretty cold blooded.

Man, that second link was a tough read. That's got to be agonizing, leaving someone behind. At least that one guy went back to leave a note from that woman's family with her. It's not a lot, but at least it is some type of closure for them. The story about David Sharp was pretty fucked up though. 40 climbers passed him on the way up and didn't help him. I know there usually isn't a lot people can do to help, but in this case it seems like there may have been. Pretty cold blooded.
If I can afford an Everest expedition, I could very well pay a couple of sherpas to help him descend. Extra bonus if he reaches camp alive. But I'm talking out of my ignorant ass tho.

Going back through this thread and thinking back to what I said before about photos never doing justice to actually standing in person in front of really big mountains, this photo is fucking breath taking.

One photographer I'd seriously recommend is Shiro Shirahata, Japanese mountaineer turned photographer who lugged a large format camera around, his books in the Himalayas and the Karakorum mountains from the 1980's take some beating.

Back