The Ghosts of Mt. Everest

Viva

H.N.I.C.
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone else delved into some of the darker tales revolving around Mt. Everest? I've been binging on documentaries discussing the various hardships and tales reviving around those who the mountain has claimed. From deadly avalanches that claim dozens to a notorious stretch on the mountain referred to as "rainbow valley" because of the multicolored gear of corpses that decorate it. Pretty interesting stuff if you're into all things dark or macabre.

Rogan has some good stuff on it too.

Never heard of 'rainbow valley.' That must be a truly sobering experience walking through that. Damn.

The whole death zone thing, were they leave you to die if you can’t carry on, seems horrific to me.

Never heard of 'rainbow valley.' That must be a truly sobering experience walking through that. Damn.

It's a pretty grim reminder of the risks involved in climbing.

What's shocking is how long some of the bodies have been there. Apparently it's incredibly expensive and dangerous to get them down so many of them remain, decaying in the frigid cold.

Green Boots is the colloquial term for a well known body of a deceased Indian climber that's become somewhat of a death zone landmark. Some of the photos of the bodies are quite shocking.

The whole death zone thing, were they leave you to die if you can’t carry on, seems horrific to me.

The case of David Sharp really highlights this. The New Zealand team that passed him during their ascent was heavily criticized for not making more of an effort to try and save the hypothermic Sharp, who was dead by the time they were descending.

I feel as though ethics go out the window in that situation as trying to save someone near death is likely only to lead to more death.

They should leave the bodies up there. Makes it more badass climbing past all the dead people. I'm sure a lot of these climbing junkies would rather be immortalized up there, rather than taken down and buried and rotting in the ground. I know which one I would pick.

They should leave the bodies up there. Makes it more badass climbing past all the dead people. I'm sure a lot of these climbing junkies would rather be immortalized up there, rather than taken down and buried and rotting in the ground. I know which one I would pick.

For sure, it's a hell of a final resting place that's for sure. I can't imagine how sobering it must be to see all the corpses as you're making your way up. A grim reminder that seemingly meager mistakes can end it all up there.

The situation where climbers set out to find George Mallorys body, and did so while filming was incredible. This is a body that's been sought after for decades and seeing them discovering it was pretty remarkable. The corpses flesh looked more like ivory than skin, and it was shocking to see how primitive the gear climbers from yesteryear used.

It's a pretty grim reminder of the risks involved in climbing.

What's shocking is how long some of the bodies have been there. Apparently it's incredibly expensive and dangerous to get them down so many of them remain, decaying in the frigid cold.

Green Boots is the colloquial term for a well known body of a deceased Indian climber that's become somewhat of a death zone landmark. Some of the photos of the bodies are quite shocking.

George Mallory's body from 1924(he might actually have made the summit 30 years before Hilary and Tenzing) was discovered a few years ago, at that altitude and temperature your not going to see much if any decay.

I'd guess the bigger risk on Everest today compared to a lot of other big Himalayan mountains is those climbing don't have the same skill/experience level. The mountain itself isn't actually the most difficult technically nore the most dangerous, that's more mountains like Kangchenjunga and Annapurna that stick out more from the main chain and have a much higher snow load on them as a result and more risk of avalanche(the biggest killer of most experienced climbers).

George Mallory's body from 1924(he might actually have made the summit 30 years before Hilary and Tenzing) was discovered a few years ago, at that altitude and temperature your not going to see much if any decay.

I'd guess the bigger risk on Everest today compared to a lot of other big Himalayan mountains is those climbing don't have the same skill/experience level. The mountain itself isn't actually the most difficult technically nore the most dangerous, that's more mountains like Kangchenjunga and Annapurna that stick out more from the main chain and have a much higher snow load on them as a result and more risk of avalanche(the biggest killer of most experienced climbers).

Dude I've been reading up on the Annapurna, and holy shit the death rate there is remarkable.

Dude I've been reading up on the Annapurna, and holy shit the death rate there is remarkable.

I'm no climber but I trekked in the area and if you look at the south face its easy to see why, giant wall over 3500 meters high with a very high snowload.

AnnaSF%2Bon%2B30Sep%2Bigc_6222.30-09.jpg

I'm no climber but I trekked in the area and if you look at the south face its easy to see why, giant wall over 3500 meters high with a very high snowload.

AnnaSF%2Bon%2B30Sep%2Bigc_6222.30-09.jpg

I'm jelly, I'm not a climber myself but I'd love visit that area just to see it in person.

That climb looks absolutely miserable.

Often thought of climbing it, became turned off to the idea since it became a tourist attraction...30-40,000 dollars they will carry any rich asshole up...Like most things, the locals benefited early on, then we shit the place up, garbage everywhere, turned it into , I don’t know what..

I'm jelly, I'm not a climber myself but I'd love visit that area just to see it in person.

That climb looks absolutely miserable.

Honestly I can see why people go back again and again, I walked in the Everest, Kangchenjunga and Annapurna areas and I don't think reading stats or even looking at pictures prepairs you for just how big(not just height but shear bulk) these mountains are. You get used to mountains being a certain size in the Alps or the Rockies and this is something totally different, ever day when the clouds lift I was supprised just how big they were "that looks like a mountain top but it can't be must be a cloud, nope it is".

The Lhotse/Nuptse wall infront of Everest especially looks like something that shouldn't exist on earth, more like the boarders of Mordor of something...

RAZ_8846-2.jpg

Yeah read about mallory in boy's life years ago. Bagasse dude. And yeah any little mistake at 26k feet, and you are dead. I climbed Fuji and found I was sluggish just at that height. I couldn't imagine 26k

I have been an avid hiker for a long time (note: I did not say mountain climber). Having burned through many pairs of boots over various terrain, the fun has always stopped (for myself) when the stakes were elevated to death as an option. Generally it was going to be a fall or the weather that was going to take you out. And a lot of the times there was little you could do to avoid the situation. I've been caught in lightning and torrential rains that came in out of nowhere. I have had seemingly solid rocks give way under foot. That shit is terrifying, sobering, and makes you feel completely helpless.

That said, nothing quite like a solid ledge pointing to the sun on a crisp day and enjoying a beer miles from the closest remnant of civilization.

Is that the one where a huge party all died, which makes it a 75% fatality rate-?

Honestly I can see why people go back again and again, I walked in the Everest, Kangchenjunga and Annapurna areas and I don't think reading stats or even looking at pictures prepairs you for just how big(not just height but shear bulk) these mountains are. You get used to mountains being a certain size in the Alps or the Rockies and this is something totally different, ever day when the clouds lift I was supprised just how big they were "that looks like a mountain top but it can't be must be a cloud, nope it is".

The Lhotse/Nuptse wall infront of Everest especially looks like something that shouldn't exist on earth, more like the boarders of Mordor of something...

RAZ_8846-2.jpg

Definitely, I can't fathom the scale of those mountains. I've spent lots of time in the Smokeys and have done exploring in the Rockies as well but even the tallest summit in the Rockies is barely half of the tallest in Everest. It's insane such structures exist in our world, and I get the obsession people have with climbing it. Certainly one of the most profound personal goals you can achieve.

I'd also love to see Antarctica but that's seemingly an impossibility for most average people.

Is that the one where a huge party all died, which makes it a 75% fatality rate-?

I read a number saying for every 100 that attempt, 34 are killed.

Fuggin insane man.

I've read so many books on Everest and big mountain climbing. It's a fascinating topic and there have been a lot of
first hand accounts of the ordeal it can be.

sidenote: I was in Tibet in 1999 with my gf at the time and just getting off the plane was something. We flew from Chengdu, China from basically sea level to Lhasa which is at over 15K feet. Amazing. Also, in the distance, even though it was miles away, you could clearly see Everest towering towards the sky.

I've read so many books on Everest and big mountain climbing. It's a fascinating topic and there have been a lot of
first hand accounts of the ordeal it can be.

sidenote: I was in Tibet in 1999 with my gf at the time and just getting off the plane was something. We flew from Chengdu, China from basically sea level to Lhasa which is at over 15K feet. Amazing. Also, in the distance, even though it was miles away, you could clearly see Everest towering towards the sky.

On a side note I wonder if there's ever been a Sherdogger to scale Everest and live to tell the tale.

Back