the future of the 160lb divison, and why Canelo/GGG 2 won't come soon

Why would he want to vacate before fighting Canelo? Or fight BJS, to unify, then vacate? That doesn't really make sense. I'm sure Cotto's people are pushing for that, but it doesn't make sense for anyone but Cotto.

Cotto and Canelo are both on Golden Boy....I dont think Cotto's the one pushing for it, if it happens it will 'cause of De La Hoya.

I'm saying GGG beat BJS to become "undisputed" title holder, then vacate before fighting Canelo. I just 'said' a few posts ago if the 4 belts are on the line, there's no way Canelo is not walking out with it.

Cotto and Canelo are both on Golden Boy....I dont think Cotto's the one pushing for it, if it happens it will 'cause of De La Hoya.

I'm saying GGG beat BJS to become "undisputed" title holder, then vacate before fighting Canelo. I just 'said' a few posts ago if the 4 belts are on the line, there's no way Canelo is not walking out with it.

Why on earth would he do something like that? That makes zero sense. An undisputed champion is a massive deal, and a massive selling point.

They aren't going to risk a massive, big money rematch, now for an undisputed title, to fight Cotto again.

I can't believe the amount of people who actually want to see Canelo fight an opponent passing his mid-30s....again. He should be going down and fight opponents in their prime. Welterweight is stacked, and there's plenty of opponents at Super Welterweight! Middleweight is weak right now, and GGG already cleared most of the division who mattered.

Will Canelo ever give Lara his rematch? Will he fight Thurman, or Spence? He went from fighting people at Caneloweight, to gunning for old timers on the edge of retirement like Cotto and GGG... This is pathetic.
Fighting GGG is pathetic?

Why on earth would he do something like that? That makes zero sense. An undisputed champion is a massive deal, and a massive selling point.

They aren't going to risk a massive, big money rematch, now for an undisputed title, to fight Cotto again.

I know what Im arguing. But what are you? One moment you say Canelo is gonna fight BJS, and next you're asking me why they would fight Cotto and jeopardize a rematch?.... If they dont wanna jeopardize a GGG rematch, then they're not gonna fight BJS either. How bout that, so your OP is moot.

And news flash, the Cotto fight would also be a rematch. AND Cotto has 1 more fight before he retires. A Cotto-Canelo 2 fight would also sell high PPVs. Both are PPV stars, unlike GGG who doesn't have that Mexican or Rican fanbase. A Cotto-Canelo match for his retirement would sell huge numbers, and Golden Boy would rather have both a Cotto and GGG PPV, than just a GGG PPV.

I know what Im arguing. But what are you? One moment you say Canelo is gonna fight BJS, and next you're asking me why they would fight Cotto and jeopardize a rematch?.... If they dont wanna jeopardize a GGG rematch, then they're not gonna fight BJS either. How bout that, so your OP is moot.

I don't really think you do understand what your'e arguing. Canelo beat Cotto handily 2 years ago. Nobody needs or wants to see that fight again. Unification bouts to crown and undisputed Champion don't happen often. Then come along very rarely. That would make what is already shaping up to be a big money rematch of a massively competitive draw even more competitive. The is literally nothing to be learned or gained in fighting Cotto again.

Sanders has the only belt in the division not owned by GGG. Canelo has no belts. It makes sense for Canelo to get himself a belt. It makes absoultely zero sense whatsoever for GGG to vacate a title (for real?) to fight Canelo. I'm not really sure you understand boxing or what it is you're arguing. The last thing my OP is is moot.

And news flash, the Cotto fight would also be a rematch. AND Cotto has 1 more fight before he retires. A Cotto-Canelo 2 fight would also sell high PPVs. Both are PPV stars, unlike GGG who doesn't have that Mexican or Rican fanbase. A Cotto-Canelo match for his retirement would sell huge numbers, and Golden Boy would rather have both a Cotto and GGG PPV, than just a GGG PPV.

A rematch that nobody cares about. A rematch in which there was a clear, decisive winner. It would be a marginal PPV buy at best.

I don't really think you do understand what your'e arguing. Canelo beat Cotto handily 2 years ago. Nobody needs or wants to see that fight again. Unification bouts to crown and undisputed Champion don't happen often. Then come along very rarely. That would make what is already shaping up to be a big money rematch of a massively competitive draw even more competitive. The is literally nothing to be learned or gained in fighting Cotto again.

Sanders has the only belt in the division not owned by GGG. Canelo has no belts. It makes sense for Canelo to get himself a belt. It makes absoultely zero sense whatsoever for GGG to vacate a title (for real?) to fight Canelo. I'm not really sure you understand boxing or what it is you're arguing. The last thing my OP is is moot.

A rematch that nobody cares about. A rematch in which there was a clear, decisive winner. It would be a marginal PPV buy at best.

De La Hoya and Golden Boy care about what makes the most money, not no damn belt. Canelo just dropped the belt not long ago.

A Cotto-Canelo 2 fight has huge potential on PPV. And its his LAST fight; people are gonna buy it.

How on earth would taking that fight jeopardize a GGG fight? De La Hoya can easily do both one after the other.

De La Hoya and Golden Boy care about what makes the most money, not no damn belt. Canelo just dropped the belt not long ago

You obviously know nothing about boxing. Canelo has no middleweight belt and never has. What makes money in boxing is big fights. Title fights. Title unification fights between the two best fighters of an era. Those two guys are GGG and Canelo. Not some meaningless fight between Canelo and Cotto for no belt at all. You could have it on ESPN. Pacqiuao is fighting on ESPN.

A Cotto-Canelo 2 fight has huge potential on PPV. And its his LAST fight; people are gonna buy it.

Not a chance.

How on earth would taking that fight jeopardize a GGG fight? De La Hoya can easily do both one after the other.

On the off chance that Cotto beats Canelo and then retires? For real dude, what are you talking about?

You obviously know nothing about boxing. Canelo has no middleweight belt and never has. What makes money in boxing is big fights. Title fights. Title unification fights between the two best fighters of an era. Those two guys are GGG and Canelo. Not some meaningless fight between Canelo and Cotto for no belt at all. You could have it on ESPN. Pacqiuao is fighting on ESPN.

On the off chance that Cotto beats Canelo and then retires? For real dude, what are you talking about?

Okay, im done. <{hfved}>

They should force GGG to fight Jermall Charlo.

Which is exactly why I see the scenario I sugggested playing out the way it did. The fight took so long to make in the first place because De La Hoya was waiting for Triple G to get old and he still got a draw. Now they can wait almost 2 more years and Canelo will still be in his 20's.
This is why I can't stand the nut huggers of Canelo. He will never be great. He will be a good boxer, who's achievements came by very careful handling and manipulation to achieve the best outcome because he wasn't good enough of a boxer to win it himself like it should be. A glorified over achiever due to be being protected and gifted.

Canelo's resume is going to be a list of past prime fighters (Cotto) and controversial wins (Lara & Trout) de la Hoya turned him into a bitch mode boxer and it pisses me off.

I would respect Canelo more if he had a record more like Juan manuel Marquez or Cotto. Fighters who have some loses, but also have respect and dignity for being actual boxers who fought stiff competition and took thier wins and loses like a man.

Last edited:
They'll fight again and no one will remember this conversation.

This is why I can't stand the nut huggers of Canelo. He will never be great.

I'm not saying he will be or won't be, but he has nearly a decade worth of career left and you're already writing it all off.

This is why I can't stand the nut huggers of Canelo. He will never be great. He will be a good boxer, who's achievements came by very careful handling and manipulation to achieve the best outcome because he wasn't good enough of a boxer to win it himself like it should be. A glorified over achiever due to be being protected and gifted.

Canelo's resume is going to be a list of past prime fighters (Cotto) and controversial wins (Lara & Trout) de la Hoya turned him into a bitch mode boxer and it pisses me off.

I would respect Canelo more if he had a record more like Juan manuel Marquez or Cotto. Fighters who have some loses, but also have respect and dignity for being actual boxers who fought stiff competition and took thier wins and loses like a man.

I mean, that's what a promoter is supposed to to. They're supposed to protect a fighter's career progression in many regards. That's why you see so many UFC prospects crash and burn. There is no middle ground. There isn't really anything but top guys and prospects. You've got to have those developmental fights.

I think Canelo is already great and will continue to be. He's already fought the best of all time, and just had a great fight with Triple G. He's already fought all the greats of his era for the most part.

I'm not saying he will be or won't be, but he has nearly a decade worth of career left and you're already writing it all off.
It's not so much I'm writing him off, I'm just keeping his career in perspective and not buying the hype.

I really do regard him as a good boxer and I do believe he is a good boxer in our present day. I would rate him along with the likes of Cotto, Marquez and the such (which is good company imo) but he's also not great.

When I think of great (present day era boxers) I think Pacquiao, mayweather, kletchko....Canelo hasn't done what these men have done in boxing.

When I think of great (present day era boxers) I think Pacquiao, mayweather, kletchko....Canelo hasn't done what these men have done in boxing.

That's kind of my point. You're comparing him to guys who have already finished their careers. He's not a part of that generation; it's not a fair comparison. He's younger than Spence, even.

GGG isn't getting younger. If he loses before the Canelo rematch then it certainly won't mean (and make) as much.

The narrative for Canelo - Cotto 2 is good but Cotto clearly lost their first fight. Not as appealing as GGG - Canelo 2 with all these belts on the line.

Last edited:
That's kind of my point. You're comparing him to guys who have already finished their careers. He's not a part of that generation; it's not a fair comparison. He's younger than Spence, even.
Fair enough, hopefully he'll go on to challenge the Danny Jacobs and Jermal Charlo's of the world and not the low hanging fruit like Saunders. I would also like to him fight Lemieux & Eubanks as well if he is going to stay in middle weight div....but I suppose fight fans can only dream.

Time will tell.

Not a chance.

Maybe do some research bro.

Maybe start with the title reign of Sergio Martinez.

You obviously know nothing about boxing. Canelo has no middleweight belt and never has.
He's lineal champ of the division and did win a vacant WBC title when he fought Cotto.

Maybe do some research bro.

Maybe start with the title reign of Sergio Martinez.
Canelo had the wbc ring and lineal (still has) belts.

Sexy won his belts off pavlik and lost them to cotto who lost them to canelo.

Back