The Future Of Resources Mining On The Moon | Page 3

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by GhostZ06, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    Your mistake is to work on the assumption that the OST signatories actually want to stop one another from conducting independent commercial Lunar mining.

Newsflash: They don't. Because they all want to do it too.

While you're wrestling with game theories and legal technicalities, the Big 3 space-faring nations (and strong men of the U.N) have already sidestepped that bit about "Lunar land ownership" long ago, and plans to go straight to building Lunar bases and establishing commercial Lunar mining operations as soon as possible, on sections of the Moon that they freely acknowledges doesn't belongs to anyone, without ever formally claiming any patch of Lunar land for their country.

Private American companies are officially allowed commercial mining rights by the U.S Government with the passage of the SPACE Act of 2015. Russia and China each have their own version of it. Europe is too busy bickering with themselves to notice that they're being left in the dust.

A century from now, there probably will be American, Russian, and Chinese lunar mining bases all over the moon to extract Helium-3, from land that still belongs to no one.

-----

American Billionaire closer to mining the moon for trillions of dollars in riches
    Russia's plan to conquer the moon: Nation will send 12 cosmonauts to lunar surface ahead of creating a permanent base by 2030
    How China is sending man back to the Moon to mine safe nuclear power and become the world's energy giant
    The future of moon mining

So, despite of how you interpret the OST, reality is that there will be no objections whatsoever from any space-faring parties towards one another in this Free For All mining spree in the Lunar Wild West, and none of them will ever claim to own any land on the moon, or raise objections to each others' mining operations to the United Nations, as long as everyone minds their own mining business in their own corners and nobody are fighting over the same spot.

This is why I said the OST seriously needs to be updated to catch up with new realities now, expanding from the original clauses on "land ownerships" and "space WMD" that no one actually cares about, and focus specifically in regards to permanent commercial bases and mining rights, before that floodgate is busted wide-open, and busted wide-open it will.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    DiogenesOfSinope and JDragon like this.
  2. Pwent Guest

Pwent
    yeah, rare EARTH metals

but can you call them EARTH metals if they dont come from earth?

is the point/joke i was making

hughesfan20 and GhostZ06 like this.
  3. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

[​IMG]

https://futurism.com/the-trump-administrations-interest-in-nasa/

4. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

how some of you can't see the value in this for the united states, Jesus fucking christ. id invest heavily in asteroid mining company's

5. JDragon War Room Patriot

JDragon
    Excellent discussion on the OST @Falsedawn @Arkain2K !

I believe the truth may be in the middle. I agree with Falsedawn's legal view and I agree with Arkain's view of the big players' interests.

If it turns out that one player has a yuge advantage (say, US starts mining in 2020 and it is insanely profitable and the others cannot deliver before, say, 2030), this might become an issue because then the OST is in trouble as a whole if the other parties decide they do not feel bound by the other passages.

Arkain2K and DiogenesOfSinope like this.
  6. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

you this would open the door for a space elevator to bring or fairy supplies back down to earth. Honestly i hope WE as in the united state or Europe can get there first.

But i bet we'd take the Europeans with us(mainly the British).

7. cabal Brown Belt

cabal
    It is sound so childish that make me speechless.
    How can an adult just think about mining the moon?

8. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    @GhostZ06: I suggest you should change the thread title to something more encompassing for this discussion, like "The Future Of Resources Mining On The Moon", then add all the articles we posted to your OP :)

9. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

that can be arranged

10. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    Here's my preliminary quasi-institutional capitalist suggestion for the not-too-distance future of Lunar Mining:

1) The space-faring nations pool their resources together and get the U.N's blessings to build a unified modular International Lunar Mining Station. That way, it could be done in a fraction of the time.

2) Each party put in their initial investments (and a guaranteed line of credits to cover operational costs) at the same evaluation, which gives them an even share of ownership of the base.

3) If the joint owners decide that additional rounds of investments is neccessary for the station's developments and growths, and there are interested governments eager to get in, the current shares would be diluted evenly for the new owners (British, French, German, Australians, Japanese, Koreans, etc).

4) After the operational costs are deducted, any remaining profits from Lunar mining then be divided out accordingly to the stakeholders back on Earth.

5) The U.N is entitled to a share of profit from ALL lunar mining to distribute to the non space-faring folks not on this train, simply because "the moon and its resources belongs to all mankind".

mon likes this.
  11. KantoTerror Silver Belt

KantoTerror
    those space cash would be the end of Finrand...
    [​IMG]

Metusalemi likes this.
  12. 2DUM2TAP Red Belt

2DUM2TAP
    On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
  13. SammyPops Gold Belt

SammyPops
    No dice- moon landing was faked bro.

14. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

jesus this is fucking stupid.....how do you think we got to the moon in the first place. So are you saying Kennedy was child for wanting us to land on the moon?

id rather him invest into this then constantly cutting all this shit just to boost defense spending

15. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    The Moon is kind of small, yet controls the tides of the Oceans. If we mine it too much, may the mass shrink, or may it collapse under own weight, and break up?

If that happens then our tides, and all the life and biospheres will be affected right?

Arkain2K likes this.
  16. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06
    No.....do you know how heavy the moon is?

[​IMG]

How many times do i have to keep saying stop saying that already. Thats like saying, if we land a rocket on mars, it might send the planet spiraling into the Jupiter because the weight of the space craft is just .00000000000000000000000000000000000012 enough to destabilize the planet from its orbit. Where do you guys come up with this stuff lmao, seriously .

@MadSquabbles500 your like the one dude i know wouldnt say this syther shit

Bald1, JDragon, volodya and 1 other person like this.
  17. uppercutbus Brown Belt

uppercutbus
  18. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    This was actually one of the main topics of discussion two years ago before we pass the SPACE Act, I personally find those science panels to be quite fascinating.

Though it looks small in the sky, the moon is actually bigger than most people think. A LOT bigger. We're talking about 37,932,000 square km of surface area kind of big.

Long story short, scientists pretty much agree that it's no concern, because even if human can somehow take a few thousand tons of gas/minerals/precious metals from the Moon over the course of our civilization before we're leaving this planet for greener pastures, it is still incredibly minuscule compare to the Moon's total weight of approximately 74,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons.

This factor in with the fact that 99.999% of the raw materials we digs up on the moon (lots and lots of worthless moon rocks) would be left right there where we found it after processing, and only a few hundred kilograms of the filtered and refined stuff would be the super valuable cargo worth millions of dollars that we ships back to Earth each year. Space transportation is not cheap, don't you know.

Also, if you think about it, the tons upon tons of asteroids falling on the Moon annually (there's no atmosphere for them to burn up upon entry) would likely be more than what we can take away in a century.

Put it this way: the impact of Lunar mining have on the Earth's weather would be about as significant as you taking home some grains of desert sands in your shoes, or some drops of ocean water at the bottom of your beach buckets.

JDragon and MadSquabbles500 like this.
  19. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventur...-is-interested-in-monetizing-the-moon-w476727

more on it...

20. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    LOLZ, if you say so.