The future legitamacy of the UFC and MMA in general

masterkiller214

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In boxing there are different professional organizations such as the WBC,WBA,WBO,IBF,etc. Belt holders can challenge other organizations and win multiple belts at the same weight class. I really believe MMA needs to move in this direction. Not only to see who is actually the best in the world but also gain legitamacy for the sport.
I get it, all these MMA organizations have their own champions but why cant this be done in MMA? Would this bring in $$$ worth fighting for? Would it be good for the future of the sport?

Once Conor retires, there won't be much star power left. That would be a good time to start rebuilding with legitimate rankings and meaningful fights.

Because MMA is not really a sport

It's human cockfighting..it's a circuis act, it's guys fighting in a cage or Bob Sapp fighting a 600 pound Sumo

You can't walk into an MMA gym in most parts of the world because they don't exist, but boxing gyms do exist, everywhere

You can't go to the Olympics for MMA but you can for boxing

If you are a good boxer you will most likely make it to the top if you have a good manager, if you are good at MMA your career depends mostly on luck..you may never fight in the UFC if the UFC goons don't like you and you cannot do anything about it..even if you can fight in the UFC it will be for peanuts

Boxers get paid more the better they are, MMA fighters get paid more the more fans they can bring in.

I don't think you can legitimize MMA ...The esssence of MMA is that it's more like a real fight than a real sport and you cannot legitimize fighting..it's barbaric..you can however create narrative around it and present it as some sort of noble and epic struggle like what the Japanese do

I don't know if you trolling or serious, no offense. Human cockfighting, not really. Circus act, whole heartedly agree. But there are rules in place for the so called safety of the fighters and regulatory bodies to oversee the sport.

In boxing there are different professional organizations such as the WBC,WBA,WBO,IBF,etc. Belt holders can challenge other organizations and win multiple belts at the same weight class. I really believe MMA needs to move in this direction. Not only to see who is actually the best in the world but also gain legitamacy for the sport.
I get it, all these MMA organizations have their own champions but why cant this be done in MMA? Would this bring in $$$ worth fighting for? Would it be good for the future of the sport?

You do realize that is one of boxing's biggest faults.

It became almost impossible for people to follow what is what. In most sports you have one dominate league/org and the rest fight for scraps. That is just the way it works and that is what has happen in MMA. In fact we have the 90 alphabet orgs of boxing because they all keep trying to be the UFC of boxing.

And to manboy...................People shouldn't kid themselves if they don't think there is a ton of politics involved in the boxing world. You could argue through its history its much more of shit show than MMA has ever been.

Last edited:
It became almost impossible for people to follow what is what. In most sports you have one dominate league/org and the rest fight for scraps. That is just the way it works and that is what has happen in MMA.
Is that true for sports that have international status though, or just American-centric sports with the NFL, MLB etc?

It became almost impossible for people to follow what is what. In most sports you have one dominate league/org and the rest fight for scraps. That is just the way it works and that is what has happen in MMA. In fact we have the 90 alphabet orgs of boxing because they all keep trying to be the UFC of boxing.

And to manboy...................People shouldn't kid themselves if they don't think there is a ton of politics involved in the boxing world. You could argue through its history its much more of shit show than MMA has ever been.
mjSu1iO_zpsqumhr9yn.gif

Is that true for sports that have international status though, or just American-centric sports with the NFL, MLB etc?

I would say in most sports world wide. Soccer being the biggest does find some run with other associations/orgs. But that is about the only stand out I can think of that gets any traction that is relevant. Even with Soccer the European leagues dominate revenue compared to say the MLS in America. I don't follow soccer much or know a hell of a lot about it. But in America the MLS(biggest league here) is literally non existence in main stream media. World cup or Team USA events gets some traction but very little in the big picture, but at least if your not a fan you know its going on, more so the World Cup.

P.S.: I'll be honest on the soccer I'm confused as hell with what is what with the various leagues around the world or what the mean to each region.

I like MMA the way that it is.

This.

And it's not even an argument in my opinion. Politics in boxing is one of the major contributors to it's decline and is MUCH more prevalent than in MMA.

Before Dymamite! USA show happened in California former head of K-1 president wanted to do the something similar to what the TS proposed.

K-1 lent Royce Gracie to the UFC to fight Matt Hughes. When K-1 asked to have Matt Hughes for an event it was never honored. That tells you all you need to know about doing business with the UFC right there.

It is an interesting read.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/exclusive-k-1s-tanikawa-on-move-to-u-s-2

Before Dymamite! USA show happened in California former head of K-1 president wanted to do the something similar to what the TS proposed.

K-1 lent Royce Gracie to the UFC to fight Matt Hughes. When K-1 asked to have Matt Hughes for an event it was never honored. That tells you all you need to know about doing business with the UFC right there.

Likewise Pride did the same exact thing when the UFC lent them Chuck Liddell. That tells you all you need to know about doing business with Pride right there.

Likewise Pride did the same exact thing when the UFC lent them Chuck Liddell. That tells you all you need to know about doing business with Pride right there.

K-1 wasn't PRIDE. Not sure why the pro-ZUffa posters like to bring that up when it had nothing to do with K-1.

PRIDE treated K-1 no different when K-1 helped PRIDE get off the ground with their production values and overall presentation.

It's very interesting historically. Never knew that. That's crazy.

K-1 wasn't PRIDE. Not sure why the pro-ZUffa posters like to bring that up when it had nothing to do with K-1.

PRIDE treated K-1 no different when K-1 helped PRIDE get off the ground with their production values and overall presentation.

2017 and still using the "pro-zuffa" connotation lol. Grow up kid. This isn't some team Edward vs team Jacob teenage girl high school twilight drama you're so desperately trying to make it be.

2017 and still using the "pro-zuffa" connotation lol. Grow up kid. This isn't some team Edward vs team Jacob teenage girl high school twilight drama you're so desperately trying to make it be.

Whatever contract you and your Zuffa Zombies signed back in the day to defend your employer is likely still enforceable in 2017. If not on the payroll and a voluntary position, I am surprised you can muster enough brain power to even get online

In either event, your attempt to hijack this thead and make it about PRIDE screwing over Zuffa rather than the UFC not being honorable business partners with K-1 or cooperating with other organizations because you think K-1 and PRIDE are the same company says it all.

UFC's legitimacy is on a sharp decline with WME on board. I fully expect there to be fan-voted fights, celebrity guest appearances, and even more reality TV/stupid movies.

UFC's legitimacy is on a sharp decline with WME on board. I fully expect there to be fan-voted fights, celebrity guest appearances, and even more reality TV/stupid movies.
A friend and I were thinking the UFC should have UFC Ninja Warrior. These guys are already elite athletes and would do really good. It would be an interesting way to gain popularity again. Or maybe it was just a stoner idea/conversation lol.
giphy.gif

Back