"The Fix is in"?

I'm a huge American Football fan right, and I've always thought the officiating in that sport in particular is much better than most sports out there including MMA, Boxing, Football, Basketball. I always thought games weren't at all fixed and I'm still not necessarily sure if some are - but you ALWAYS hear the conspiracies. I honestly thought this year's SuperBowl was fishy, Cam Newton did very odd things - it was really suspect.

That brings me to MMA. You always hear claims of fixes e.g. Kimbo vs Shamrock most recently. Any time a fix is suggested majority of people kick up fuss and get angry with these "silly", "unrealistic" claims - most of the time I agree with those guys.

My question is, with the 100's and 100's of UFC fights over the years, is it possible that any of them have been "fixed". You hear claims of Mendes getting a cheque to let McGregor win, you see very quick taps sometimes, you have guys dropping out with injuries at the last moment which raise eyebrows.

I'm not sure, I honestly don't know to be honest - but I'm interested in some examples if you guys think some actually are fixed.

It's a whole lot easier to see why smaller organisations would have fixed fights because there is less to lose so to speak, and they have more to benefit off of fights going certain ways. Is it possible that the biggest MMA organisation in the world on occasion fixes fights???
All you have to ask yourself is,Is there gambling involved? The answer is the same for both questions...in any sport

I'm a huge American Football fan right, and I've always thought the officiating in that sport in particular is much better than most sports out there including MMA, Boxing, Football, Basketball. I always thought games weren't at all fixed and I'm still not necessarily sure if some are - but you ALWAYS hear the conspiracies. I honestly thought this year's SuperBowl was fishy, Cam Newton did very odd things - it was really suspect.

That brings me to MMA. You always hear claims of fixes e.g. Kimbo vs Shamrock most recently. Any time a fix is suggested majority of people kick up fuss and get angry with these "silly", "unrealistic" claims - most of the time I agree with those guys.

My question is, with the 100's and 100's of UFC fights over the years, is it possible that any of them have been "fixed". You hear claims of Mendes getting a cheque to let McGregor win, you see very quick taps sometimes, you have guys dropping out with injuries at the last moment which raise eyebrows.

I'm not sure, I honestly don't know to be honest - but I'm interested in some examples if you guys think some actually are fixed.

It's a whole lot easier to see why smaller organisations would have fixed fights because there is less to lose so to speak, and they have more to benefit off of fights going certain ways. Is it possible that the biggest MMA organisation in the world on occasion fixes fights???

I think that it probably happens much more than anyone would like to believe.

Now does that mean the UFC fixes fights??? No, I don't think that they do. But I do think that they have fighters that they would like to see win, and therefore position those fighters in the most advantageous positions possible.

Conor(who I'm s huge fan of) obviously had his hand held since day 1 by the UFC.

If the world were fair, McGregor would have had to fight both Chad and Frankie in a row(with full training camps), before fighting Aldo. Styles make fights and I always thought that Conor could beat Aldo, but I also thought that Frankie would have mauled Conor if they had fought before. Wrestling has historically been kryptonite to most European UFC newcomers.

I find it more than a coincidence that Conor fought Chad(who had to cut a good amount of weight) instead of Frankie(who doesn't cut a lot of weight). Especially when Frankie had already been promised a Title shot, is a former Champion, and Chad was coming off a loss.

I think the UFC has been protecting Conor from wrestlers. I also think that by the time he does start to fight them regularly, he will have excellent TD defense.

As far as the Nate fight goes... I think that Conor has probably known about Dos Anjos's injury since the moment Dana knew. Why Nate Diaz??? Donald Cerrone is a LW contender and is fully ready to fight today.

I was curious when I heard Nate mentioned alongside Conor, soon after the Dos Anjos's fight had just been announced, when Conor is a Champion and Nate is no longer even a legitimate contender. But I think that the UFC was laying the foundation for the contingency if Conor started losing fights and needed a bankable opponent.

I find it very odd that they are fighting at WW, instead of a catch weight(which happens in the UFC). Because if Conor loses(to a non Champion), then it can be claimed that he lost to a fighter who is 2 weight classes above him. When the truth is that Conor is really a LW, who also happened to fight at 145.

So is that "fixing" fights??? No. But if I am right, the UFC has much more control over the outcomes of the fights then most casual fans think.

Conor would lose in a fixed fight, not Diaz if the objective was betting and it would probably be arranged by underworld characters. If the objective is for Conor to remain undefeated, then the fight would be fixed by the UFC and it's already been stacked heavily in his favor. Anything that can be bet on can and will be fixed. Tennis was fixed for years apparently and to pull it off only requires one player to play at a slightly lower level than normal.

There are a few known "worked fights"

Coleman I believe had one in pride. Oleg Taktarov has a win in 10 seconds or so by sub, the fastest sub in UFC history BTW, over a guy who was a member of his gym. According to legend the coach told the other guy to lose but didn't tell Oleg, which does make a bit of sense when you look at the fight because Oleg looks genuinely pissed and confused when the guy ran over neck first into a choke and tapped instantly.

I don't get why people claim fixes in fights where the losing fighter was clearly TRYING TO WIN in certain points of the fight.

Mendes was throwing BOMBS at McGregor. He was trying to hurt him. If Conor didn't have a good chin he would've gone down like Lamas did. I think it's ridiculous to call such fights fixes.

The UFC has too much to lose to allow worked fights. They'd lose their license in Nevada and most other states would follow suit. Million$ lost because they wanted one guy to go over? Unlikely.

This. The most likely way I see a fight being fixed is between the fighters themselves. Not saying it ever happened, but it "could" have.

image.gif Clear fix in my opinion. You can tell the kick only grazes him

I'm still trying to figure out why the UFC released Wandy all of a sudden when it looked like they'd keep him locked down until he needed a walker???

Didn't they reach a settlement if Wandy apologized and said the UFC fixing fights was untrue, they would release him?

If the world were fair, McGregor would have had to fight both Chad and Frankie in a row(with full training camps), before fighting Aldo.

Really? If you had to beat the #2 and #3 guy before getting a shot there would almost NEVER be a new title contender.

For example, tell me who is beating Rumble AND DC?
By your criteria Jones could be champion for ever without defending.

Gotta beat TJ Dillashaw and Renan Barao to get a shot at 135?
Congrats Dom, you are the champion for another 5 years.

I was curious when I heard Nate mentioned alongside Conor, soon after the Dos Anjos's fight had just been announced, when Conor is a Champion and Nate is no longer even a legitimate contender

How is Nate "no longer even a legitimate contender"?

He beat the #5 guy decisively last fight and he is fighting a UFC champ next weekend.
6x fight of the night winner
5x sub of the night winner

If you really believe the fight is fixed betting $5000.00 on Conor will earn you a profit of $1111.11

Didn't they reach a settlement if Wandy apologized and said the UFC fixing fights was untrue, they would release him?
Yes, this is pretty much exactly what happened. There were threats of lawsuits, from both sides if I recall, then they settled on Wandy apologizing and the UFC releasing him.

Really? If you had to beat the #2 and #3 guy before getting a shot there would almost NEVER be a new title contender.

For example, tell me who is beating Rumble AND DC?
By your criteria Jones could be champion for ever without defending.

Gotta beat TJ Dillashaw and Renan Barao to get a shot at 135?
Congrats Dom, you are the champion for another 5 years.

How is Nate "no longer even a legitimate contender"?

He beat the #5 guy decisively last fight and he is fighting a UFC champ next weekend.
6x fight of the night winner
5x sub of the night winner

2 wins and 3 losses in your last 5 = legit contender???

Let's make a bet to see when Nate fights for a belt again?

Yes, some fights get fixed.

Doesn't mean the ufc is involved.

When fighters lose massive sponsorship dollars, they will find other ways to keep money circulating for themselves and for their team.

Some fighters just get involved with the wrong types of people, and end up getting their careers toyed with.

Yes, this is pretty much exactly what happened. There were threats of lawsuits, from both sides if I recall, then they settled on Wandy apologizing and the UFC releasing him.
Yeah my point is this would be an item that would cause conspiracy theorist to raise eyebrows...

Last time you can see a guy taking a dive was Forrest griffin against silva, other then that there have been no obvious fixes for a while.

2 wins and 3 losses in your last 5 = legit contender???

Let's make a bet to see when Nate fights for a belt again?

In the UFC (and several other similar orgs) ..... actually YES.

If Nate wins this fight, which I do not think he will do, I could easily see him getting a title shot. He is one of the biggest names in the UFC.

Chael Sonnen got a title shot coming off a loss and 2-2 in his last 4.

Randy got title shots coming off losses 4 times, one time coming off of 2 losses by way of finish.

Popularity is WAY more important than record in reality. The UFC is a business.

Look up Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi or Fighting Network Rings videos, they had fixed/worked MMA down to a science, before MMA even really existed. Hell there are probably hundreds of worked/fixed fights from Rings on the Sherdog Fight Finder.

If the world were fair, McGregor would have had to fight both Chad and Frankie in a row(with full training camps), before fighting Aldo. Styles make fights and I always thought that Conor could beat Aldo, but I also thought that Frankie would have mauled Conor if they had fought before. Wrestling has historically been kryptonite to most European UFC newcomers.

I find it more than a coincidence that Conor fought Chad(who had to cut a good amount of weight) instead of Frankie(who doesn't cut a lot of weight). Especially when Frankie had already been promised a Title shot, is a former Champion, and Chad was coming off a loss.

No one has ever gotten a title shot from beating Frankie or Chad yet to you it is "fair" for Conor to have to beat both. Totally ridiculous. You are just crying about something that is popular.

Back