The First Wrestling Cards You Attended

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What was the main event and semi main event of the first few wrestling cards you ever attended?

At the card I went to in New Hampshire, in the semi-main event I saw Hulk Hogan as a heel defeat Tito Santana. It was just OK. But the amin event was great. It was Pat Patterson defending the Inter-Continental Title against Ken Patera in a great match! Patterson retained the title that night when he was disqualified. This was just a couple months before Patera would win the IC Title from Patterson. In the second car dI saw, n Portland Maine I saw Patterson try to regain his IC Title from Patera which he had lost just a few nights ago in MSG. This was a great, brawling match with lots of blood. Patera held on to his title. Earlier that night I saw Andre The Giant defeat one of The Wild Samoans.

A few months later in the spring of 1980, I saw Hulk Hogan (heel) vs. Andre The Giant in a high school gym in New Hampshire. It was impressive seeing these two huge guys in the ring. Eventually Hogan couldn't take any more and ran away from the ring, getting counted out in the process. Andre walked up the bleachers to whee there was a microphone and he said that when he had Hogan locked in a body scissors, Hogan said to him "Please Mr. Giant let me go"!

First event was a WCW house show eons ago, about all I can remember is I got high fives from Norman and Rick Steiner.

The Steiner Bros. destroyed their opponents with ease.

Can't much remember anything else other than Sting wasn't there.

I was lucky to grow up in Knoxville, TN as a wrestling fan. I went to a few local shows at the local armory and fairgrounds, but the first one I REALLY remember going to was the one below. My grand dad had always wanted to see Andre in person, so when he came to the Omni in Atlanta(just a 3 hour drive for us), he jumped at the chance so he, my dad and I went:

AUGUST 15, 1982 (SUNDAY) – ATLANTA, GA – OMNI AUDITORIUM
(Paul Jones – Promoter / Georgia Championship Wrestling)
> Buzz Sawyer d. Terry Gibbs
> The Iron Sheik d. Johnny Rich
> Kamala d. Tom Prichard
> The Wild Samoans d. Tito Santana & Andre the Giant
> Paul Orndorff d. the Super Destroyer
> The Junkyard Dog d. the Masked Superstar by DQ
> Tommy Rich versus Don Muraco ended in a DCO
> Battle Royal: Andre the Giant (Winner)
> Cage Match: the Freebirds d. Ole Anderson & Stan Hansen

I mostly remember the cage match, obviously, as a young kid that was spectacular. I also got to see Andre, and even as far away as we sat, he looked like an elephant. I mean literally, it was like going to the circus, here comes the clowns, the acrobats, and HOLY SH!T look at that thing!

The first one I can remember attending was Raw at the fleet center in Boston, Big Show choke slammed the undertaker through the ring, I think they teased the reveal of the higher power that week too. I was a little disappointed, they had the lions den set up off the aisle but it never came into play during the show. Was 12 or 13 and my parents let me and a couple of the neighbor kids attend unsupervised. We went to a few more shows between then and mid 2000 as well.

Before that I went to local Indy shows and met washed up stars from the 80s. I got Nikolai Volkoff's autograph at one of them. It was mostly regional performers who never amounted to anything, though.

The first wrestling show I ever attending was a bush league show with the ring set up on the infield of the local softball fields. I was around 7 or 8 some most of the card is hazy in my memory. The main event saw a random patriotic guy who's name I can't remember go against a fat main with a picture of a camel the back of his trunks that was clearly a terrorist in training. The match was a hilarious affair with the redneck group in front of me telling all sorts of hilarious anecdotes about what that individual did with camels...most of which my dad reminded not to repeat in front of my mother when we got home. Truly a great moment in a child's life.

I went to 1 or 2 rinky dink shows on our military base when I was like 8 or 9, but the first big league show I went to was Bad Blood 97 for a 10th bday present. Saw the first HIAC and debut of Kane

I saw several small indy shows that toured the high schools and armories in central Jersey where I grew up when I was really young. The first major event I attended was the inaugural Summer Slam in 1988 right after I turned 12 at Madison Square Garden.

I was lucky to grow up in Knoxville, TN as a wrestling fan. I went to a few local shows at the local armory and fairgrounds, but the first one I REALLY remember going to was the one below. My grand dad had always wanted to see Andre in person, so when he came to the Omni in Atlanta(just a 3 hour drive for us), he jumped at the chance so he, my dad and I went:

AUGUST 15, 1982 (SUNDAY) – ATLANTA, GA – OMNI AUDITORIUM
(Paul Jones – Promoter / Georgia Championship Wrestling)
> Buzz Sawyer d. Terry Gibbs
> The Iron Sheik d. Johnny Rich
> Kamala d. Tom Prichard
> The Wild Samoans d. Tito Santana & Andre the Giant
> Paul Orndorff d. the Super Destroyer
> The Junkyard Dog d. the Masked Superstar by DQ
> Tommy Rich versus Don Muraco ended in a DCO
> Battle Royal: Andre the Giant (Winner)
> Cage Match: the Freebirds d. Ole Anderson & Stan Hansen

I mostly remember the cage match, obviously, as a young kid that was spectacular. I also got to see Andre, and even as far away as we sat, he looked like an elephant. I mean literally, it was like going to the circus, here comes the clowns, the acrobats, and HOLY SH!T look at that thing!
Wow thats a pretty talent loaded card

bret hart vs diesel (blue) steel cage match.

Raw the week before Survivor Series '02 in Cincinnati. Believe the main event was HHH vs Booker T with all the Elimination Chamber participants coming in at the end. Was only 5 at the time. Shit was dope.

I can't remember if I went to any wrestling cards as a little kid. I don't recall going to any until I was a young adult, but I grew up on post (Ft. Knox) and I remember they had really oldschool wrestling shows (I'm talking the fucking Moondogs and shit), so I think there's a decent chance my dad brought me to some that I just don't remember.

First show I went to was at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1995

Featured HBK vs Sid (IC Belt)
Diesel vs Waylon Mercy (WWF belt)
Undertaker vs King Kong Bundy (Casket Match)
HHH vs Henry Godwinn

Fun show - I think Razor Ramon was there too but I forgot who he faced.

WWF house show in 1997. Champion Sid went over Vader in the main event, no Bret or Shawn or Austin although I did pick up a HBK giant finger. Ron Simmons jobbed to Undertaker. Hunter and Rocky jerked the curtain after some job guys, one rapped to the ring, warmed the crowd. Did get to see Owen and Bulldog.

Later picked up an autograph on the same page with Owen and Big Bossman at a different event.

Bret Hart v Davey Boy Smith

Randy Savage v Ultimate Warrior

This this was my first card. I was only 10. Sid taker / hart Vader/ michaels Austin. I’ve been to several wrestlemanias and Summerslams and many other ppvs but this will always be my fav card

WWF @ Los Angeles, CA - Sports Arena - January 5, 1997 (3,957)
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated Razor Ramon II & Diesel II when Furnas pinned Razor
Jesse Jammes pinned Justin Bradshaw with a reversal into a powerslam
Farooq pinned Savio Vega with a powerslam
Flash Funk pinned Leif Cassidy with the 450 splash
WWF IC Champion Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Marc Mero after hitting him with the title belt
WWF World Champion Psycho Sid defeated the Undertaker via count-out after both men began attacking an interfering Vader on the floor and Sid was able to get back in the ring before the 10-count
WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith defeated Mankind & the Executioner when the Executioner was pinned
Bret Hart defeated Vader via disqualification when Steve Austin interfered; after the bout, Austin held Bret down so Vader could hit the Vader Bomb
Steve Austin pinned Shawn Michaels with a roll up and grabbing the tights for leverage after Michaels began arguing with Bret Hart, who was on the ring apron; after the bout, Bret briefly applied the Sharpshooter on Michaels before the two fought all the way to the back

I went to quite a few Saturday Night tapings at good ole Center Stage Theater. I think this was the first one.

WCW @ Atlanta, GA - Center Stage Theatre - August 11, 1994 (785; sell out; all freebies)
WCW Saturday Night taping:
9/10/94:
Marcus Alexander Bagwell & the Patriot defeated Bobby Eaton & Steve Keirn
Alex Wright defeated an unknown
WCW Tag Team Champions Paul Orndorff & Paul Roma defeated Terry Taylor & Buddy Wayne
Kevin Sullivan fought Cactus Jack to a no contest at around the 1-minute mark
Brian Pillman fought Jean Paul Levesque to a draw

<TheWire1> <mma4>

Wow so my recollection was a bit off. Got the main events right but it's pretty fucking cool I went to the last WWF show at Maple Leaf Gardens.

WWF @ Toronto, Ontario - Maple Leaf Gardens - September 17, 1995 (5,500)
Barry Horowitz defeated Skip
Isaac Yankem DDS defeated Aldo Montoya
The Smoking Gunns defeated King Kong Bundy (sub. for Owen Hart) & WWF Tag Team Champion Yokozuna
Fatu defeated Jean Pierre Lafitte
Dean Douglas defeated 1-2-3 Kid
Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Henry Godwinn by using the ropes for leverage
The Undertaker defeated Kama in a casket match
WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Psycho Sid following two superkicks
WWF World Champion Diesel pinned Waylon Mercy

<TheWire1> <mma4>

Wow so my recollection was a bit off. Got the main events right but it's pretty fucking cool I went to the last WWF show at Maple Leaf Gardens.

WWF @ Toronto, Ontario - Maple Leaf Gardens - September 17, 1995 (5,500)
Barry Horowitz defeated Skip
Isaac Yankem DDS defeated Aldo Montoya
The Smoking Gunns defeated King Kong Bundy (sub. for Owen Hart) & WWF Tag Team Champion Yokozuna
Fatu defeated Jean Pierre Lafitte
Dean Douglas defeated 1-2-3 Kid
Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Henry Godwinn by using the ropes for leverage
The Undertaker defeated Kama in a casket match
WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Psycho Sid following two superkicks
WWF World Champion Diesel pinned Waylon Mercy
That’s a fun

Wrestlemania III

Then, the first event at the palace of auburn hills, a house show with bossman v hogan. Hogan broke the cuffs. Beefcake beat Rude.

Back