The first American BJJ black belt???

the question you should ask is "what have they done after getting their black belts?" it seems to em that NONE of them has produce anyone of any significance.

I will be hanging out with Chris Haueter this weekend for the worlds...he gave 3 of my coaches their blackeblts.

mine as well... we have a distinguished legacy to uphold

chuck norris actually got a "complementary" black belt from the machado 's in the late 80's or so, but it wasn't a real black belt so it doesn't count. I think he's now actually a brown belt or something.... not sure how the complimentary thing works, or what the fuck it's for to be honest.

In Holland we just got our first dutch blackbelt in january this year!!! Remco Pardoel just got his recently so we only have 2 dutch bjj blackbelts in the whole country! No wonder why we suck at bjj/grappling compared to Brazil and America.

chuck norris actually got a "complementary" black belt from the machado 's in the late 80's or so, but it wasn't a real black belt so it doesn't count. I think he's now actually a brown belt or something.... not sure how the complimentary thing works, or what the fuck it's for to be honest.

It's Honorary and it dosen't mean a whole lot IMO.

I'm almost certain that Matt Serra said he was the first American BJJ blackbelt.

I think the more interesting question is who was the first American white belt in BJJ...

the question you should ask is "what have they done after getting their black belts?" it seems to em that NONE of them has produce anyone of any significance.

John Will has done a great deal for the Australian BJJ scene. He gave Elvis Sinosic, Anthony Perosh and Geroge Sotiropolous their black belts.

In Holland we just got our first dutch blackbelt in january this year!!! Remco Pardoel just got his recently so we only have 2 dutch bjj blackbelts in the whole country! No wonder why we suck at bjj/grappling compared to Brazil and America.

Isn't martin dejong a black belt?

Isn't martin dejong a black belt?

Martijn de Jong ain't nowhere near blackbelt level. I believe he is a purple belt. But his style is more submission wrestling than bjj. Actually he is going to do a grappling match against some japanese guy somewhere in september. This will be his last match ever.

John Will has done a great deal for the Australian BJJ scene. He gave Elvis Sinosic, Anthony Perosh and Geroge Sotiropolous their black belts.

Actually Perosh got his black from Carlos Machado.

Back