The first American BJJ black belt???

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
In 1997, I trained at a Gracie JJ training chapter for about a year. I took about 8 years off, and started back up at a small club about a year ago. During this time, I didn't stay updated on the MMA/BJJ scene much. In '97, I remember someone saying that there were "no American black belts." Would that have meant no black belts in BJJ in general, or GJJ in particular?

It was a slight surprise to me when I started following MMA again, and I found out quite a few fighters had attained the level of black belt in BJJ. 8 years goes by very fast...

Anyway, I've been recently wondering who the first American was to attain a BJJ black belt. I assume it would have been a pretty big milestone, so some sort of record was kept, right?

I'm guessing Craig Kukkuk since he was a brown belt in the early 1990s, but that's just a guess.

Found this on the internet:

* Craig Kukuk (Renzo Gracie) - 1992
* Ken Gabrielson (Reylson Gracie) - 1992
* Rick Lucero (Rickson Gracie) - ?
* David Kama (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Chris Saunders (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Bob Bass (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Rick Williams (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Chris Haueter (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* David Meyer (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* Rick Minter (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* John Will (Rigan Machado) - 1998
* Roy Harris (Joe Moreira) - 1998

http://www.extremejjg.com/history.php

My instructor got his late 90s and he was training under Rigan at the time. He was an Aussie living in the States but he got his belt a lot sooner than some of the guys listed there.

I also trained with a guy called Fre Taylor in LA who also was one of the first Americans (not sure he was one of the dirty dozen but he got it pretty early on IIRC).

- J.

pyr0 said:
Found this on the internet:

* Craig Kukuk (Renzo Gracie) - 1992
* Ken Gabrielson (Reylson Gracie) - 1992
* Rick Lucero (Rickson Gracie) - ?
* David Kama (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Chris Saunders (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Bob Bass (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Rick Williams (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Chris Haueter (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* David Meyer (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* Rick Minter (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* John Will (Rigan Machado) - 1998
* Roy Harris (Joe Moreira) - 1998

Thats the "Dirty Dozen" list, the first 12 American BJJ BBs. I know the list is on the OTM site, possibly sites as well.

*EDIT* Actually its the first 12 non-Brazilian BJJ BBs

possenti, too bad you didnt keep training, you woudlve had your bb by now. at least brown!

Didn't John Lewis get his BB very fast too?
Damn the Machados seem to throw belts around like candy.

Damn.. 3 of the first 12 non Brazillians to get their BB were named Rick.. I need to change my name..

jk..

matt serra was the first american black belt in BJJ. He was awarded the belt under Renzo Gracie.

Tristram said:
matt serra was the first american black belt in BJJ. He was awarded the belt under Renzo Gracie.

He was Renzo's first black belt. He got his in 2000. Lots of people got it before then.

Flibb said:
Didn't John Lewis get his BB very fast too?
Damn the Machados seem to throw belts around like candy.

Those people who got their black belts have certainly put in the time to get them. They earned them and there's no doubt of that.

- J.

Good they don't hand them out even if the sport has got mainstream. Inflation takes away all seriousness.. Norway - by comparison, got their first black belt last year. Norway had before that had one ADCC champ and one Mundial champ, and best belt around was brown

where are all these people now? are they still teaching(except roy harris/john will)

Back