The Fighter highest box office in modern times for a combat sports movie ?

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
For comparison on a movie that also had strong cast of characters and big movie stars

Warrior

Both had a 25million dollar budget

The Fighter (boxing)
Gross:
$93.571.803 (USA) (25 March 2011)

Warrior (mma)
Gross:
$13.651.662 (USA) (28 October 2011)

It's interesting that boxing Is niche in usa but does massive sales in the box office

While the young hip mainstream sport of mma did so little

Regardless is The fighter the highest box office hit for a combat sport in recent history ?

If you're only counting USA it does over $70m

the fighter is badass.... I got a zip-up hoodie with the title and paramount logo on it. I wear it when I go on my jog and people alwas double take when looking at it....no ones thrown a punch at me yet at least

Marc making another boxing vs mma thread baiting people again and trolling, what's new?

Where's @Queen B and his "Well the Warrior movie had more google trends than The Fighter" stats at?

Marc making another boxing vs mma thread baiting people again and trolling, what's new?
I think it highlights the point of boxing still being the bigger more relevant sport.
Boxing has had I think 4 major motion films in the last year or so, while MMA has none.
MMA is dull and a movie about it would even be duller.
MMA doesn't have those great stories like boxing does.
To use an old analogy, boxing is a slow cooked chef made course meal, while MMA is fast food.
Its easy for a casual to watch a fight thats going to last 3mins tops.
Its harder for a casual to watch a boxing match go 10 rounds.

To be fair this was before Floyd/Pac demise and the rise of Ronda/Conor MMA popularity
To be fair, that doesnt explain why boxing movies are still being made while no one gives a shit for an MMA movie.

To be fair, that doesnt explain why boxing movies are still being made while no one gives a shit for an MMA movie.
Hand of Stone, Bleed for This, Southpaw, were busts despite having big casts

Hand of Stone, Bleed for This, Southpaw, were busts despite having big casts
Southpaw also did about $100m at the box office so I wouldnt call that a bust by the way.
But I will tell you that Miles Teller, Jake Gyllenhaal should have never been casts as the leads in a boxing movie unless they were playing the part of an accountant.

To be fair this was before Floyd/Pac demise and the rise of Ronda/Conor MMA popularity
I did a fact check since you are very unreliable

Southpaw domestic gross

$52.418.902 (USA) (30 October 2015)

Vs

Warrior

To be fair this was before Floyd/Pac demise

Oh looks like we have a winner this is after said demise

Creed
109.712.885 (USA) (26 February 2016

The movies about MMA are AWFUL, they are turn your head cringe awful. So are some of the boxing ones, but MMA movies take the cake for cringe factor.

Except it doesn't, you've compared worldwide the fighter vs rocky and you know it.
I used IMDb as a source for us gross only

If i am wrong can you link it for my edication

I did a fact check since you are very unreliable

Southpaw domestic gross

$52.418.902 (USA) (30 October 2015)

Vs

Warrior

Not a fair comparison. The fighter featured two A-level stars while the Warrior, did not.

Back