The fight bible. (filled with anything and everything you ever need to know)

What an awesome read, Josh. Do you have any advice on how to begin training in both ground and standup? I'm currently doing Muay Thai and some boxing, and I just got my first BJJ Gi for Christmas. I planned on starting in the next few months, but I'm cautious about gassing out, since I'll have to attend all three classes in the same 3 hour block some nights. I wouldn't worry about it so much, except that my membership fee goes up when I decided to add grappling to the schedule.

How did you start comprehensive training?

I will answer as many of these questions as I can tonight. you can also direct the questions to my twitter. joshGBOYharley.

thanks for all the support and kind words.

I must have a lot of time on my hands because I actually just tried to copy and pm them to you but the file is 30 pages long. Visit your local library my dude. :icon_idea

Josh -- Your writing is motivating and informational. I was wondering your opinion on how well Muay Thai training transfers over to Western Boxing? I found an mma gym that is real cool, offers boxing/muay thai/bjj. I'm 26 now and have always been active, but only had beginner boxing and kickboxing training, but I am thinking since I'm this old if I have a chance to be a competitor it will be in boxing. I ask about Muay Thai just because it looks cool.

I think there are a lot of good things you can carry over from muay thai into boxing. Especially same side power shots etc. Watch some Dekkers highlight videos. He was flawless at same side power shots and I feel it is very under utilized.

I actually disagree with your second statement. A lot of people your age especially with some combat experience could transition into MMA and do quite well.

Keep me posted on how it turns out for you!

What an awesome read, Josh. Do you have any advice on how to begin training in both ground and standup? I'm currently doing Muay Thai and some boxing, and I just got my first BJJ Gi for Christmas. I planned on starting in the next few months, but I'm cautious about gassing out, since I'll have to attend all three classes in the same 3 hour block some nights. I wouldn't worry about it so much, except that my membership fee goes up when I decided to add grappling to the schedule.

How did you start comprehensive training?

I wouldn't worry so much about gassing out, more burning out. If you are starting to feel the wear and tear on your body... REST. Rest days are very important, especially to reflect on what you have worked on. Plus it gives the body time to heal. Be sure to bring plenty of fruit and things to eat between classes, help keep your sugar levels, and energy up.

How has it been coming so far?

The Mental toughness section could not be any more true. I have always been very strong, hard hitting, athletic and quick learning but have always lacked that tough mindset to actually excel in mma. I have been training for a few months now and am in a much better place mentally than before. Hearing your training partners tell you how much better you are and how great you will be while feeling your progress in each sparring round is a great feeling and is something everyone could benefit and learn from.

Great read. Very insightful and knowledgeable. Thx TS

BTW when u said choosing a gym that best fits you, what r the best camps for a training beginner-mid tier starter that you would recommend. Most gyms r already clean and most coaches r nice. Ive been to Rebel X & Gracie Barra but their lessons and transitions r slow and usually they dont let beginners roll & practice without their supervision

I don't know the first thing about nutrition, sorry

my diet consists of eggs, pasta and chicken.

I burn calories so fast that I have never worried about what I eat.

As for supplemental things, I am starting a creatine cycle tomorrow, I take a protein powder and fish oils. Thats really it.

Oh and I take greens + twice a day with juice.

Care to elaborate?

Awesome thread man, best of luck in your career.

Also just curious, are you a full time pro fighter?

Last edited:
No need to cycle creatine. You're never going to develop a tolerance to it, that's broscience.

Nice thread , picked some up from your tips and experiences .Starting mma on my 17th next year hopefully i succeed in it :)

Very informative, I've read it twice already, thanks a lot man!

I'm 24 and just started training and checked out every notable gym near me and what would fit well into my schedule. I was thinking of starting off with boxing and judo for about a year and a bit and learn as much as I can, then switching to a different gym for muay thai and jiu jitsu.

Think the boxing/judo is a waste of time or what?

Also can't find wrestling anywhere..

:icon_cry2
I covered a lot on wrestling and BJJ in my other thread which is stickied above, I don't want to go as in depth in thread with that.

As I stressed before, Learn wrestling, both offensive as well as defensive. The best offence is a great defense and vice versa. If you want to have a great top game, you need to understand the bottom game very well. If you want to have great Takedown defense you need to understand what goes into a good double leg, single leg, etc.
Look at BJ Penn, he has been raved about for years for having the best TDD in MMA and then in his last fight he goes out and takes down Jon Fitch. I always knew he had a great offensive wrestling game but I never fathomed it was that good.

Mental Strength

Mental strength is so important in daily life as well as athletics, most of all its important in fighting. A lot of fights seem won before they are even started simply by looking at the two fighters and how they are carrying themselves.

Believing in yourself and being batshit crazy are two different things. Learn to train as hard as you can and push yourself past the breaking point. Nothing can build confidence better than knowing you are fully prepared for anything that comes your way.

Fight to win, don't simply fight to say you have. My best friend and someone who I consider my brother (UFC Middleweight Jesse Bongfeldt) told me before one of my last fights and being calm is a great thing. But he always thought I was too calm before fights. He told me that when that cage door closes and your feet tough the mats, its time for war. That guy standing in front of you is out to take everything away from you that you worked so hard for. Don't let this happen.

At the end of the day if your going to lose, Make damn sure that the other guy knows he was in a war.

Sponsors

Everyone wants to find sponsors, at the end of the day it all comes down to Money. You have to be able to attach worth and value to yourself. I have been very lucky with finding sponsorships but it is not always that easy. It is a two way straight with a fine line down the middle. You are looking for money or a product and the sponsor is looking for worth and value to them shelling out their money or product.

If you are serious about finding sponsors work out a business plan and make sure its well written and promotes you well. From there the best advice I can give you is to search the internet and pound the pavement.

End thoughts

here are 3 videos of me hitting pads recently, really upped my training lately!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDMRkSq080&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNILM_csyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7CSvdfskI&feature=youtu.be

Learn to be a better person, I believe this has so much to do with mental strength. When I started fighting I was so ****y and arrogant It disgusts me to think of myself to this day. The best thing you can do as a fighter is be a nice guy, help others, be a role model for others. This sport is still in such infancy that it needs all the good ambassadors it can find.

Learn to carry yourself in a way that reflects power and strengh but at the same time calmness and a good heart. The beauty about bravery is that nobody has to know that your scared but you.. Never start fights with your training, but never back down either. If someone lays a hand on you or a loved one then put a stop to it quickly. Stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves, but don't ever be the tapout wearing goof at the bar starting fights with anyone who will look their way.

Fight nerves are the most pure thing in the world in my opinion. I don't mean a street fight or a fight at the bar. I mean going to an arena where you know people spent their hard earned cash to watch some good tilts. There is nothing out there that beats getting those hands taped up for war and walking around that arena chatting with the fans and fanatics alike. To me that is pure bliss. Regardless of whether its in front of 200 people or 20 thousand. I feel the most alive 10 minutes before I walk out to that cage or ring.

At the end of the day, I hope this helps some of you, I might never be the best fighter that walks the earth, but I want to be known as a good guy who did his best each and every single time out there and I want to be the guy that runs a nice gym with great classes to help people learn and grow within themselves.

If you learned anything at all from this thread feel free to post a comment, I write this stuff for you guys and I love the feedback.

Just remember above anything else, it doesn't matter how many times you fall, it matters how many times you rise, mistakes build character, and character takes you places money cant.

Thanks for reading,

Keep Kicking,

JH
this was a very moving article. I think it reflects what a martial artist is. I am going to go train at the Korea Top Team if I am so lucky. Thank you for inspiring me to training properly.

Back