The fight bible. (filled with anything and everything you ever need to know)

Josh Harley

Blue Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am sitting here enjoying some beers and I am in the mood to write a massive thread filled with as much knowledge as I can think of off the type of my head.

The Fighters Bible

I will try and include as much detailed info as I can. Everything from taping your hands all the way to gear I enjoy and some I dislike.

Fighting is and always has been a huge passion of mine, above everything else I love coaching and watching someone come in for the first time knowing nothing, and grooming them into a better person as well as athlete and martial artist. I have hopes of running my own gym down the road, I have a book near completion, and I also want to run a successful clothing company and fight team. Coaching is my passion.

Choosing a gym

When you first walk into a gym for the first time, it can be an overwhelming and intimidating experience. You never know what your going to experience and I have seen it all. I have been fortunate enough in my lifetime to train at enough gyms and camps and I have seen it all. Everything from a ****y guy walking in off the street thinking he was the next phenom, all the way to the quiet, mild mannered person become a great professional.

When you are searching for a gym a few things should be key. The quality of the coaches should always be of importance as well as the quality of training partners. To me the thing that really makes a gym is the atmosphere, I like friendly guys who are softspoken and polite. Arrogance from a coach or training partner is not ever necessary but it seems to be way too common these days.

You want a nice clean facility to train in, otherwise you are at a higher risk of catching an infection like ringworm or some other nasty thing. Trust me, ringworm sucks!

Everyone needs something different from their coaching staff, depending on your personality. Some people do well under harsh criticism, some don't. I prefer honest criticism but I would be lier if I didn't admit to loving some praise now and then.

Equipment

I have used many different types of gloves over the years, both for boxing and MMA.

My favorite Muay thai gloves are probably anything made by fairtex.

Fairtex.com - The Official Fairtex Homepage And Online Store.

They make high quality gear but you will pay a higher price for it.

Once I started to really work my hands more and I could feel my power growing on weekly basis, I made the switch to a pair of rival, lace up boxing gloves. They feel amazing and work very well.

Here the gloves I swear by.

RS1 High Performance Pro Sparring Gloves - Sparring Gloves - Rival Boxing Gear Inc.

And here is a direct link to their website. I have a pair of their focus mitts but I have never tried any of their MMA gear so I can't vouch for it.

Boxing equipment at Rival Boxing Gear - gloves, shoes, apparel, MMA

As for shin guards, I prefer the fairtex ones for hard thai sparring, they are padded well, and are comfortable, they seem to slide a little more than I would like but that might be because I have chicken legs.

For MMA sparring I use Hayabusa shin guards. Much less padding but they fit 10x tighter and don't slide or move at all. You also have a more fluid range of motion using them. Great shinguards, give them a try!

Hayabusa Fightwear

Mouthguard

If your going the cheap route, a shock doctor mouth guard is always a good choice, I have used the tapout ones before as well, and they are like 2 for 20$. They worked well and disrupt my breathing too badly. I use a dentist made guard now but it is far more expensive.

Handwraps

There are a lot of different types of wraps these days, I prefer the "mexican" style of wraps. I hate the ones that are straight cotton though. Look for a type that has a fair amount of stretch and give in them. These are the only type I will use.

CUP

I train in a JACO cup and supporter and fight with a steel muay thai cup. you have to have it tied on but it is well worth it. You get used to it after a while.

Shorts and rashguards

I am not just saying this because they are one of my main sponsors, I truly believe they make the best product in the world. JACO makes amazing shorts, rashguards and clothing to wear day to day. I only wear their shorts, and only grapple in their guards. They are a little pricey but their gear is well worth it. Here is a link to their website and if you decide to buy anything pm me and ill see if I can swing a sweet deal your way.

Jaco Clothing | Hybrid Training Performance Apparel - Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), CrossFit, Boot Camp Training, P90X, TRX, and Yoga

Other

I use thai oil when i finish training. Picture rub a535 on steroids, it is great stuff but I am not sure if you can purchase it in North America anywhere. It really helps get the bumps and bruises out and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Just don't ever use it right out of the shower and never put it anywhere near your John Henry. Bad idea, trust me. Used it on a tweaked groin and ended up in tears.

I also wear a ankle slip on my lead leg when I fight. Just a blue tensor sort of thing. I find it helps give me grip when I am planting to sprawl or throw kicks. The canvas in a ring or cage can get very, very slippery when you are in there.

Training Program

Once you have your gear, and your gym, you need to find a program that suits you. If you are going to take any piece of advice that I am going to give, please learn wrestling. Go to every single wrestling class you can, hell go to the college in your town and pay to drop in on a class whenever you can. Wrestling is so important in MMA and fighting in general. If you can dictate where the fight takes place you have such a massive advantage.

If you are a wrestler transitioning into MMA the hardest part is usually learning to get hit. A lot of wrestlers seems a little gun shy their first few months of training. This will pass.

Other then that, Cardio is key, learn to judge how your body reacts to fatigue and rest up when you need it. Over training is worse than under training and can cause some injuries.

Get as much experience as possible. Training with people larger than yourself whenever possible is the way to go. When you get ragdolled in the gym all day long it makes the fight much easier. People your size no longer seem scary and you will feel much more powerful and confident then if you trained with people smaller than you.

General training tips

You may not always see improvements in yourself daily, weekly or even monthly. There are so many times when I thought I peaked. If you feel this way, start to work something else, Work your hands more, your takedowns more. Drill mount escapes until its ingrained so far into your muscle memory.

Here are some good basic muay thai and kickboxing combo's and tips I think will help people work their striking to a better level.

All done from right left lead or orthodox.

Jab, cross, L hook, RL roundhouse, L hook.

Jab, cross, L hook, cross, L hook, RL roundhouse, L hook.

Jab, Jab, cross.

Cross, L hook, Cross.

L hook, Cross, L hook Rl leg kick, L hook.

Dig
R body hook, L body hook, R body hook, L body Hook, cross, L hook, RL roundhouse.

I am just writing some simple opposite side combinations for you to get an idea. Throwing opposite side when your learning always helps you generate power and learn the technique better. Watch most high level thai boxers, its almost always opposite side punches and kicks. That way you can make ever strike a power shot.

When I first started training my roundhouse kicks were the weakest part of my game. Now they are by far my best.

I learned to generate a lot more power my placing a folding chair in a room and learning to kick around the chair in one clean fluid motion. Kick above the chair by about a foot and practice doing a clean circle in one go. This will greatly help improve your switch step kicks as well. It also works well for spinning back kicks and hook kicks.

Part 2 is on its way

Last edited:
I remember my first kickboxing tournament I entered. I came out and threw a light legkick and got blasted with a right hand and it had me wobbled for a second. I remember thinking to myself, what the hell, this is nothing like training!

Just because you may look like a stud in the gym or hitting pads doesn't mean you can fight. As the old saying goes, pads don't hit back.

Work as many lifelike drills as possible. sparring is a must, and learning to eat shots. If you know anything about Ali, it was said that he would let guys beat him up in sparring. In fact if you would watch him spar he didn't look like a very good boxer. He would let people hit him hard over and over. this transitioned into him defeating george foreman after taking a helacious beating for 5 rounds.

another very good drill is standing against a wall (back to the wall) and letting a partner throw strikes at you. you are not allowed to move off the wall or move left and right. all you can do is defend to the best of your ability. Work your shell, head movement, parry/catch etc. This will greatly help your defence in the long run.

I had a muay thai coach years ago who taught me most of what I know. Once he started seriously training me he gave me a very good tip.. He said that when you walk around in daily life and hurt yourself (stub your toe, etc) don't scream out in pain and swear. Just breath and ignore it. Pain is nothing, learn to toughen yourself up in every aspect, mental strength > physical strength.

KICKBOXING AND MUAY THAI

When you are training for your first fight the most important strike/strikes I would say to learn are your jab and your push kick.

when you have your first few fights no matter how well you trained or how many times you have competed before, they will be a blur. Usually the first time someone gets hit hard their gameplan goes out the window. Learning a wicked teep or pushkick will help you keep the fight at your pace as well as stop the shoot if your opponent is far enough back.

I have seen fights where guys are throwing spinning backfists, hook kicks etc and they have shitty roundhouse kicks and even worse push kicks... Learn the fundamentals of every martial art before you tackle the flashy stuff.

Another tip I believe to be very important is too work throwing a roundhouse kick everytime you break a clinch. Everytime I clinch in training I make sure I am the one to disengage and I make sure I throw a head kick on my way out. If the guys hands are down you are going to catch him.

WRESTLING

If i could change any one thing in my martial arts experience, I would have learned to wrestle before anything else. being able to dictate where the fight takes place is so important. Wrestlers who learn to strike and learn to stop subs are nearly unstoppable.

Learn to get comfortable with the distance of a shot and learn to time strikes behind it. A good jab into a double leg always works well.

Another good drill is to do muay thai rounds while a third person kicks an excercise ball at you. every time the ball gets close to you, sprawl on top of it. Bounce back up and kick the ball back and continue on with your rounds. This will help you learn the speed and explosiveness you need to have a good sprawl.

LEARN WRESTLING

BJJ

This can be a tricky one to master, it is such an art that people get sloppy and can get subbed while trying for a sub of their own.

learn the basics, rear naked choke, triangle, armbar from guard, from mount etc. Kimura from side control as well as an americana.

Learn how to defend them 10x as good as you learn how to execute them. (my subs are awful but my sub defence is far better)

Guillotines can work well but the problem is that when an un experienced guy goes for one he tends to drop to guard as soon as he gets it. the opponent escapes and you end up on your back.

If you get a guillotine DO NOT DROP TO YOUR BACK. try to finish it standing, this way if you fail with it at least you can go to a thai clinch and blast some knees.

POSITION BEFORE SUBMISSION

BJ Penn is an amazing example of this. People don't realize how good his jujitsu actually is, He doesn't use flashy subs ever. but if he gets your back your fucked. I remember talking to Joe daddy in montreal after one of the UFC's and he told me he had never felt control like that before when BJ got ahold of him.

Last edited:
I covered a lot on wrestling and BJJ in my other thread which is stickied above, I don't want to go as in depth in thread with that.

As I stressed before, Learn wrestling, both offensive as well as defensive. The best offence is a great defense and vice versa. If you want to have a great top game, you need to understand the bottom game very well. If you want to have great Takedown defense you need to understand what goes into a good double leg, single leg, etc.
Look at BJ Penn, he has been raved about for years for having the best TDD in MMA and then in his last fight he goes out and takes down Jon Fitch. I always knew he had a great offensive wrestling game but I never fathomed it was that good.

Mental Strength

Mental strength is so important in daily life as well as athletics, most of all its important in fighting. A lot of fights seem won before they are even started simply by looking at the two fighters and how they are carrying themselves.

Believing in yourself and being batshit crazy are two different things. Learn to train as hard as you can and push yourself past the breaking point. Nothing can build confidence better than knowing you are fully prepared for anything that comes your way.

Fight to win, don't simply fight to say you have. My best friend and someone who I consider my brother (UFC Middleweight Jesse Bongfeldt) told me before one of my last fights and being calm is a great thing. But he always thought I was too calm before fights. He told me that when that cage door closes and your feet tough the mats, its time for war. That guy standing in front of you is out to take everything away from you that you worked so hard for. Don't let this happen.

At the end of the day if your going to lose, Make damn sure that the other guy knows he was in a war.

Sponsors

Everyone wants to find sponsors, at the end of the day it all comes down to Money. You have to be able to attach worth and value to yourself. I have been very lucky with finding sponsorships but it is not always that easy. It is a two way straight with a fine line down the middle. You are looking for money or a product and the sponsor is looking for worth and value to them shelling out their money or product.

If you are serious about finding sponsors work out a business plan and make sure its well written and promotes you well. From there the best advice I can give you is to search the internet and pound the pavement.

End thoughts

here are 3 videos of me hitting pads recently, really upped my training lately!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDMRkSq080&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNILM_csyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7CSvdfskI&feature=youtu.be

Learn to be a better person, I believe this has so much to do with mental strength. When I started fighting I was so ****y and arrogant It disgusts me to think of myself to this day. The best thing you can do as a fighter is be a nice guy, help others, be a role model for others. This sport is still in such infancy that it needs all the good ambassadors it can find.

Learn to carry yourself in a way that reflects power and strengh but at the same time calmness and a good heart. The beauty about bravery is that nobody has to know that your scared but you.. Never start fights with your training, but never back down either. If someone lays a hand on you or a loved one then put a stop to it quickly. Stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves, but don't ever be the tapout wearing goof at the bar starting fights with anyone who will look their way.

Fight nerves are the most pure thing in the world in my opinion. I don't mean a street fight or a fight at the bar. I mean going to an arena where you know people spent their hard earned cash to watch some good tilts. There is nothing out there that beats getting those hands taped up for war and walking around that arena chatting with the fans and fanatics alike. To me that is pure bliss. Regardless of whether its in front of 200 people or 20 thousand. I feel the most alive 10 minutes before I walk out to that cage or ring.

At the end of the day, I hope this helps some of you, I might never be the best fighter that walks the earth, but I want to be known as a good guy who did his best each and every single time out there and I want to be the guy that runs a nice gym with great classes to help people learn and grow within themselves.

If you learned anything at all from this thread feel free to post a comment, I write this stuff for you guys and I love the feedback.

Just remember above anything else, it doesn't matter how many times you fall, it matters how many times you rise, mistakes build character, and character takes you places money cant.

Thanks for reading,

Keep Kicking,

JH

Last edited:
i liked this post very well written and insightful from a professionals point of view on the sport.

im 16 and planning on starting sometime in the next month or to thier dont seem to be any real creditable schools here but 1 or 2. i wrestled last year which was my first year so i have very little background in martial arts

right now im just running and lifting wieghts is thier any other kind of excerises that you would recommend or tips for my first day

Haven't read it all yet but what I have read looks great! alot of this is really helpful, especially the drills part. Would love to see another section devoted to your favourite drills as I can never seem to find good drills. cheers.

Very, very well written. Thank you for this... I'm getting fairly seasoned when it comes to fight training, but I have yet to actually step into the cage and I'm very much looking forward to it. It's awesome to see people in this sport that are willing to help others as much as possible. You're very right about MMA needing as many ambassadors as it can get. The stereotype for fighters in the eyes of the public is not a good one, as we all know.

Awesome thread man, awesome. It's great to get such good advice from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. I wish more pro-fighters posted on Sherdog it's great to hear what you guys have to say.

great read ts

would u have any tips on ppl coming off of serious injury? like for example broken ankle. or idk if u know anyone that has been in a similar position an still trains?

mayb sum good rehab moves or stretches to help the healing proses ?
thankyou

great read ts

would u have any tips on ppl coming off of serious injury? like for example broken ankle. or idk if u know anyone that has been in a similar position an still trains?

mayb sum good rehab moves or stretches to help the healing proses ?
thankyou

I have some things that may help you somewhat.

I broke my right foot in this fight

Saturday Night Fights 1 Louis Fisett (WAMMA) vs Josh Harley (Kenor MMA) - YouTube

2nd or third leg kick I threw, I actually threw the switch roundhouse with a broken foot.

I didn't know for about 2 days that it was broken, I am sure the healing is different for an ankle as it moves differently than a foot but what I did was.

Soak it in the tub in hot water as much as possible to help the tendons. I know that at the end of the day range of motion is probably the most important. Even if you don't get 100% of the strength back at least you have the mobility. Once you get the mobility you can work on getting the strength back, this usually takes a long time.

Use a resistance band or towel and stretch your ankle as much as possible. A band will give more than enough resistance, you can work the range of motion as well as some strength at the same time.

I am not really versed in this type of thing but I would think making your thigh and calf as strong as possible may help relieve some of the stress from your ankle.

JH

Got any tips on nutrition?

I don't know the first thing about nutrition, sorry

my diet consists of eggs, pasta and chicken.

I burn calories so fast that I have never worried about what I eat.

As for supplemental things, I am starting a creatine cycle tomorrow, I take a protein powder and fish oils. Thats really it.

Oh and I take greens + twice a day with juice.

Marked. Don't have time to read it right now, but thank you for posting.

Haven't read it all yet but what I have read looks great! alot of this is really helpful, especially the drills part. Would love to see another section devoted to your favourite drills as I can never seem to find good drills. cheers.

I will see what I can do for you my friend,

what type of drills are you interested in?

Awesome thread man, awesome. It's great to get such good advice from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. I wish more pro-fighters posted on Sherdog it's great to hear what you guys have to say.

Thank you for the kind words, I have hardly scratched the surface in my own training and self development but I appreciate it. I know some people that can really contribute to this thread, I will get a hold of them and see if they feel like adding in some things.

Thank you for the support,

this thread has really taken off! I have contacted BJ Penn, Ray Sefo, as well as my best friend Jesse Bongfeldt to get more insight on drills and things.

I will post their responses.

dam bro u a tough sob .. u wer fighting the whole time without giving the slightest notion of you foot being hurt.. i was also checking out ur muay thai vid . ur looking pretty sharp man! what weight class 135?

but yea my ankle still is a lil stiff hope fully soon il b able to start running ,
im so bored i want to start training!
all of these good fights ive been watchin really makes me want to get in there!

thankyou for ur tips il keep stretching an what not hopefully il be able to train / workout soon.

goodluckk man!

dam bro u a tough sob .. u wer fighting the whole time without giving the slightest notion of you foot being hurt.. i was also checking out ur muay thai vid . ur looking pretty sharp man! what weight class 135?

but yea my ankle still is a lil stiff hope fully soon il b able to start running ,
im so bored i want to start training!
all of these good fights ive been watchin really makes me want to get in there!

thankyou for ur tips il keep stretching an what not hopefully il be able to train / workout soon.

goodluckk man!

thanks for the kind words,

that muay thai video is a joke. I had not trained once in 8 months, I was gassed out long before we even started shooting the video. If you watch the very begining you can see I am wearing a weighted vest. I did 4 rounds on the bag with that on before we ever started filming.

Myself now, would knock myself out then in less than 30 seconds.

I was having trouble dealing with my crohn's disease at that point and was very frail and very thin. Maybe 125.

I have bulked up a good 12-15 lbs of muscle since then. and have gotten 10 tattoos haha, I hardly look like the same person.

My foot was hurting not long after the kick, I think I tried a small bridge off my back once we hit the ground and knew it was messed up. If you watch it again you will see I keep my right foot off the mat almost the whole time we were on the ground.

Fisette is also a great, great fighter and I would say a lock for the UFC. he went 5-1 or 6-1 as an amateur and I think he's 3-0 as a pro now. Add that in that I took the fight against him on 24 hours notice and I was 10 lbs light for weighins while he cut 15 or so. He whooped my ass, you live and learn!

very well written and hopefully inspires more people on this site to take up training at least one aspect of mma, leading to more thoughtful insights in these forums, of course that always comes with the once in awhile know it allness but o well. Thank you!

yea u do look a lil tired on the vid but still MUCH better then what i can do! haha
but ohh ok ur natural weight is around 135 tho right?
and i wish u the best with ur condition.

i am naturally around 155 but since i broke my ankle i havent been doing much of anything so i think i might be around 145 to 150 im like 5.8 ft. or something like that.

im really hoping my freaking ankle gets better, like to run and jump rope with confidence , im sure il gett there eventualy.

u seem like a cool guy dont worry bout loosing , i wouldnt.
Every dog has his day!
and hey u kever kno u might b the one getting into the ufc!
keep ur head up bro ur an inspiration to me.

Back