The femur project, and should it be banned from UFC?

death_by_teeps

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been always interested in the future of fighting, what techniques are coming down the road, etc. This is a speculative thread, so don't waste your time reading if you aren't into that kind of thing. I am going to be discussing an idea for how to train and prepare for breaking opponents femur bones as a way to win in the UFC.

Besides virtual reality, one of the coming technologies that could revolutionize mma training is 3d printing. It has been argued that virtual reality will allow dangerous techniques to be tested and trained without risk of concussion, and this will be a big game changer. Likewise, 3d printing, particularly the new CT-bone printing method and material (http://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/) will allow fighters to hone their techniques to learn to best break realistic bone targets.

I always have been looking for a striking technique that defies the risk/reward tradeoff. With current striking conventions, the low risk stuff (leg kicks, jabs, etc) are also low return (low change of a tko). The higher risk techniques (spinning shit, flying knees etc) provide possible higher returns (delicious ko's). Is there a technique, yet undiscovered, that could provide both a low risk, but high reward?

If such a technique exists, it must surely be an attack below the waist. Karate guys have argued that you can simply sidekick someones knee and end the fight easily, but even if that is true, how do you train for it? How do you master it? There is no safe way currently.

I think we should focus our efforts on finding a reliable way to break the opponents femur, because we know it is fairly straightforward to land a low kick on a victim. I propose that we target the area of the femur that is known to commonly break in older people, a few inches below the hip socket. It is known to require 4000 Newtons of force to fracture this region, which is not insurmountable, as proficient kickers achieve above 9000 Newtons of force. Femur fractures are rare, but low kicks typically target the lower to middle portion of the leg where there is more give to the leg and where victim can lift some of the weight off their limb. The upper femur, where it joins to the hip, does not haveView media item 26381 any "give" in it, and is narrow and weak, hence is where it typically breaks in senior citizens.

This may sound hard to reliably achieve, but let us consider breaking a baseball bat. There is a specific place in a baseball bat where one must aim with their kick to reliably break it, and the baseball bat must not have any give (the persons holding the bat must have a vice like grip on both ends). There is a specific location and angle that is required.

When one analyzes the femur, they can note that if one is to target the region several inches below the joint, that an upward angle of 50 degrees would be the appropriate vector to hit flush. So the appropriate thai kick should not be level or downwards, it needs to be upwards in trajectory, sort of a blind between a thai kick and a soccer kick. This upward angle will sandwich the weak portion of the femur against the immobile hip socket, giving the best chance of breaking the femur. I have attached two images showing the physiology and suggested angle of the kick.

The problem I see is that there are major arteries which would likely be severed from such a kick to this region (see x-ray also). If heart-rate is high, like in a fight, death could occur within 2 minutes. I do believe it would be obvious to the referee if someone was targeting the kick like this with the intention to break the bone, from both the angle of attack and placement--it is not a good place to target unless the goal is to break the bone.

I do believe that the next phase in fighting technique, the next evolution, will be through the use of advanced training technology, from virtual reality to 3d printing realistic joints, bones, and muscle replicas, allowing more targeted and lethal striking skills to develop. It is a mathematical certainty. Again, it requires only 4000 N to break this femur bone, with a dedicated and realistic training, a fighter could most definitely perfect this technique. Should rules be adjusted preemptively to mitigate this type of attack, or is it better to wait for the first death in the cage before considering the reality that bone breaking is possible and bone splintering, and resultant blood loss, can and will result in catastrophic hemorrhaging in front of a live audience? Thoughts?

kick_vector_and_artery.PNG femur_break_sweet_spot.PNG

Cliff notes is that I am proposing the new 3d printing CT-bone method and material will allow us to create femur replicas that are realistic, and that fighters can begin to practice breaking the femur and perfecting it. There is a specific location and angle that I suggest can reliably break the femur, and should it be allowed?

TLDR?

but I'm all for anything that will improve the fights from a fan's perspective

you sound mentally ill.

More so than the average sherdogger I mean.

Cliff notes is that I am proposing the new 3d printing CT-bone method and material will allow us to create femur replicas that are realistic, and that fighters can begin to practice breaking the femur and perfecting it. There is a specific location and angle that I suggest can reliably break the femur, and should it be allowed?
lol what in the fuck. how much adderall did you rail before you came up with this?

Certainly there would be a market for that technology if it was produced. Of course it never would be if it was deemed unprofitable.

I don't see governing bodies getting out in front of this one to answer your query. It'd take something catastrophic.

TLDR Has the project started already or are we talking theoretical for now?

Femur is a serious break. You want to see people on the sidelines for a year?

Holly Holm tried that move already.
It failed.

would work against an 86 year old canadian woman

Back