THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS (Fast 9 Pushed Back to 2020 Release)

If you have seen THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: April 9, 2017

First Critics Reviews for THE FAST OF THE FURIOUS Released

Fate-of-Furious-040917-Dragonlord.png

Entertainment Weekly - Thankfully, it's frequently also much funnier and lighter on its feet than previous outings, and a lot of that credit goes to Statham and Johnson, whose love-hate bromance feels like the real core of the movie. B

Screen International - This eighth instalment of The Fast And The Furious franchise, directed by F Gary Gray, is reliable, containing plenty of deafening car pile-ups to keep the core audience satisfied while also stirring witty new flourishes into the old recipe. Pass

The Playlist - The film brings Charlize Theron on board as villainess, as well as a nuclear sub in the Arctic, a horde of cars speeding through New York City streets, a prison break battle royale, and a giant wrecking ball. It would be too much if it weren't so awesome. B+

CraveOnline - It's still very entertaining, and in the end you'll get your money's worth, but this film ultimately illustrates just how delicately balanced these hot rod explosion lovefests actually are. Pass

TheWrap - The plot twists suggest the kind of games that 11-year-old boys put together on the playground during recess, with women in peril and so many different parts for everyone to play that you begin to lose track of who everybody is. Fail

IndieWire - The worst Fast and the Furious movie, it betrays almost everything that fans have come to love about the series. Feels like a heap of random parts that were thrown together in the hopes that fate might somehow weld them into a roadworthy vehicle. It’s exhausting. C-

Uproxx - This isn't my favorite of the series [...] but these movies know what they are. These movies know they are fun. These are fun movies! Oh, yes, the gang also fights a submarine in The Fate of the Furious. This movie is insane. 7/10

Forbes - Is it entertaining? Sure. Is it consistent with the last film? Absolutely not. And for a franchise that prizes itself for an almost Saw-like devotion to continiuty, it's a little odd how much this one requires you to either forget what you know or ignore the inherant drama of what came before. 4/10

Variety - If this series, over the last 16 years, has taught us anything, it’s that just when you think it’s about to run out of gas, it gets outfitted with an even more elaborate fuel-injection system. And that’s never been more true than it is of the eighth film in the series, “The Fate of the Furious,” which may just be the most spectacular one yet. Pass

HeyUGuys - There's an obligation of sorts for every passing movie to outdo the preceding feature. Though this could backfire tremendously, it's something the filmmakers have pulled off yet again, as this title is bigger, it’s bolder and its batshit crazier than anything we’ve seen from the franchise so far. 4/5

IGN Movies - The Fate of the Furious provides plenty of the high-octane escapism and ridiculously elaborate vehicular mayhem fans of the series expect, while also laying the groundwork for a new phase in the franchise. 8/10

Last edited:
Update: December 11, 2016

First Official Trailers for THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS a.k.a. FAST 8

Synopsis: Now that Dom and Letty are on their honeymoon and Brian and Mia have retired from the game—and the rest of the crew has been exonerated—the globetrotting team has found a semblance of a normal life. But when a mysterious woman (Oscar® winner Charlize Theron) seduces Dom into the world of crime he can’t seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him, they will face trials that will test them as never before.

From the shores of Cuba and the streets of New York City to the icy plains off the arctic Barents Sea, our elite force will crisscross the globe to stop an anarchist from unleashing chaos on the world’s stage…and to bring home the man who made them a family. In Theaters April 14, 2017.

Update: August 9, 2016

Dwayne Johnson's FAST & FURIOUS 8 Feud is Reportedly with Vin Diesel

Fast-Five-Diesel-Johnson-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Earlier today, we reported that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson surprisingly took to facebook to air some dirty laundry. The superstar wrote in a public post that certain members among his "male co-stars" have not been conducting themselves well, full on calling them out as "too chicken shit to do anything about it anyway," using his old catch phrase and calling them "Candy asses."

"When you watch this movie next April and it seems like I'm not acting in some of these scenes and my blood is legit boiling - you're right," he wrote.

That led to some immediate speculation about just who he was talking about. According to a TMZ report, the object of Johnson's ire was series star and producer Vin Diesel. According to their sources, Diesel and Johnson had a "secret meeting" on set to figure out what the source of his issues were. Diesel has been famously heavily involved in the franchise for the last several films, and is largely credited with keeping it alive after a couple of disappointing sequels made it seem that it may be short-lived, not the massive worldwide success it has turned into. Apparently his decisions as a story contributor and producer "didn't sit well" with Johnson.

Their sources also said that the rest of Johnson's male co-stars weren't happy about the public statement, as the rest of them were harangued by fans and friends alike about whether Johnson was talking about each of them. Jason Statham, Kurt Russell, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, and Scott Eastwood also star in the film.

Fast 8 wraps filming in just ten days - and it will probably be an interesting final week and change on the set thanks to this new drama.

Dwayne Johnson's Fast and Furious 8 Feud Is Reportedly With Vin Diesel

Sherdog Poll: Whose Side Are You On?

Team Rock - 40 votes (60.6%)
El_Dyablo619 taurus Frode Falch kingkokong hughesfan20 Ippy Shamrockftw Zazen D Train Rob Battisti Admles irish_thug JinKazama wilKO heavyarms21 Metal_Daze GreenBastard Gregolian slivercord PRIDEWASBETTER Katsumi Yamada da1nonlyBAYCAT MMouse FamousSFO andyjeezy k1ngjester GearSolidMetal Gunshow74 Hyperglide streets ahead JaegerIT Organic Damage Impetuous panrst80 AlphaBetaShark WhoIsYou Prime Ang VitorReem clutchCAT420 J. Bernie Cunningham

Team Diesel - 11 votes (16.7%)
Jesus X LilMountain Kraysla Morning Star shadow_priest_x dawnignited ShadowRun NaughtyBoy Andrey Kamensky Squall Leonhart Eazy123

Team Ludacris & Tyrese - 15 votes (22.7%)
pinkybrief Fanu cabear mushishi Dragonlordxxxxx Sanshou Kid milliniar Ikuza UL Psychedelic surgeyou1 LC Shepard TheRuthlessOne gentlemanjack Agent Mulder's Hair

Update: August 9, 2016

Dwayne Johnson Criticizes FAST & FURIOUS 8 Male Co-Stars

Dwayne Johnson wrote on Facebook: "This is my final week of shooting Fast & Furious 8. There's no other franchise that gets my blood boiling more than this one. An incredible hard working crew. Universal Studios Entertainment has been great partners as well. My female co-stars are always amazing and I love 'em.

My male co-stars however are a different story. Some conduct themselves as stand up men and true professionals, while others don't. The ones that don't are too chicken shit to do anything about it anyway. Candy asses. When you watch this movie next April and it seems like I'm not acting in some of these scenes and my blood is legit boiling - you're right.

Bottom line is it'll play great for the movie and fits this Hobbs character that's embedded in my DNA extremely well. The producer in me is happy about this part. Final week on FAST 8 and I will finish strong."

Update: June 15, 2016

Triple Crown of Acting Winner Helen Mirren Joins FAST & FURIOUS 8

Helen-Mirren-Fast-and-Furious-8-Dragonlord.jpg

While promoting her latest project, Eye in the Sky, Helen Mirren has confirmed she is joining the already massive cast of Fast & Furious 8.

"I like it to be serious. Of course, having said that I'm about to do Fast and Furious 8," Mirren tells Elle, before adding, "But that's for the fun of it. So maybe that's what I want as well, some fun and some relevant, serious, important movies."

When asked, for good measure, if she is confirming a role in Fast & Furious 8, Mirren solidified her involvement with the global franchise by simply saying, "Yes, I am."

"I've always rather loved driving," she explains. "I said, 'I'll be in it, but only if I'm allowed to drive if I do drive in it.' But we'll see. We'll see how it transpires. Film is a wonderful thing and it can be so many different things. I don't want to turn my back on any of the different ways movies can be. I love the movies. I love going to the films. I like very serious films, I love foreign films, and I love big, fun movies–as long as they're well made and they've got good scripts. That's the most important thing."

Mirren joins a cast of both returning and new stars of the franchise. Diesel, Michele Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris Jackson, Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson, and Kurt Russell are all returning to their roles with Charlize Theron, Kristofer Hivju, Scott Eastwood. Fast 8 is directed by F. Gary Gray and is currently in the midst of production. Fast & Furious 8 is set for release on April 14, 2017.

Academy Award Winner Helen Mirren Joins Vin Diesel in Fast & Furious 8

Update: June 3, 2016

FAST & FURIOUS 8 Goes ‘Mad Max’ in New Set Video from Iceland

2dazio1.jpg

Production on Fast & Furious 8 has undergone a striking location shift. When last we checked in with the highly anticipated sequel, filming was underway in Cuba on what proved to be a historic shoot—the first Hollywood film to shoot in Cuba since before the embargo. But now, director F. Gary Gray (Straight Outta Compton) has moved to a rather chilly locale for the next setup, as a new official Fast & Furious 8 set video shows off the production’s Iceland set piece.

Yes indeed, for the first time ever the Fast & Furious franchise is going snowbound, and it certainly looks to be providing some serious production value. In fact, there’s a bit of a Mad Max vibe in this here production video as we see a bevy of military vehicles chasing down the Fast & Furious crew’s ill-equipped cars, all set against the stark and icy backdrop of the snow-covered country. There’s also a slight Die Another Day vibe here, but one imagines that’s one comparison the Fast & Furious crew wants to avoid at all costs.

The film stars Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Charlize Theron, Dwayne Johnson, Nathalie Emmanuel, Ludacris, Jason Statham, and Kurt Russell. Fast & Furious 8 opens in theaters on April 14, 2017.

‘Fast & Furious 8’ Goes ‘Mad Max’ in New Set Video from Iceland

Update: May 6, 2016

FAST & FURIOUS 8 Cast Let Loose In Cuba In New Set Video

Fast-and-Furious-8-Cuba-050616-Dragonlord.jpg

Fast & Furious 8 a.k.a. Fast 8 has the distinction of being the second film and the first big budget movie given the green light to shoot in Cuba since the start of improved relations between the island nation and the United States. The next installment of Universal’s guaranteed money-printing franchise is currently filming in Havana, and to commemorate the milestone, the production released a new set video paying tribute to the city and its people. The gist: they’re having a blast.

The first in what star Vin Diesel has described as a trilogy that will bring the series to close, Fast 8 is keeping the series tradition of sending the franchise’s globetrotting street racing enthusiasts to various exotic locals, including Iceland in addition to Cuba. The series will also see team Toretto in New York City. Directed by Straight Outta Compton helmer F. Gary Gray, Fast 8 is set to hit theaters April 14, 2017.

The ‘Fast & Furious 8’ Cast Let Loose In Cuba In New Set Video

Last edited:
Update: April 11, 2016

Scott Eastwood Joins the Cast of F. Gary Gray's FAST & FURIOUS 8

Scott-Eastwood-Fast-and-Furious-8-Dragonlord.jpg

Scott Eastwood has joined the cast of F. Gary Gray's Fast and Furious 8. Eastwood is joining newcomer Charlize Theron, who will be acting as the film's villain.

The Universal film will see the return of Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez and Tyrese Gibson. F. Fast and Furious 8 is set for release on April 14, 2017.

Eastwood has lined up multiple high profile projects in recent years, starring in The Longest Ride and Fury. He’ll appear in Warner Bros.’ Suicide Squad, Oliver Stone’s Snowden with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ben Affleck’s Live by Night.

Scott Eastwood Joins Vin Diesel and Charlize Theron in F. Gary Gray's 'Fast & Furious 8'

Update: April 7, 2016

Charlize Theron Confirmed to Play the Villain in FAST AND FURIOUS 8

Charlize-Theron-Fast-Furious-8-040716a-Dragonlord.jpg

Charlize Theron will join the next installment of the Fast and Furious franchise. Theron has been in talks for some time, but sources say her deal is now closed. She'll play a villain in the film. A Facebook post on the film's site stated: "Our crew will face its greatest adversary ever in our next film as we welcome Charlize Theron to the Fast family."

She'll join returning stars Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez and Tyrese Gibson. F. Gary Gray is directing the next installment, which is set for release on April 14, 2017.

Theron always has worked well in the action genre, and she starred for director F. Gary Gray in the 2003 hit remake of The Italian Job. Theron is also in the early stages of reteaming with her Young Adult compadres director Jason Reitman and scribe Diablo Cody on another untitled project.

'Mad Max: Fury Road' Star Charlize Theron Joins 'Fast and Furious 8' Cast

Update: April 6, 2016

GAME OF THRONES' Kristofer Hivju Joins FAST & FURIOUS 8

Kristofer-Hivju-Fast-and-Furios-8-Dragonlord.jpg

Norwegian actor Kristofer Hivju, who plays Tormund Giantsbane on HBO’s Game of Thrones, has joined the cast of the eighth chapter in the Fast & Furious franchise, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Vin Diesel will return to star as Dominic Toretto along with Dwayne Johnson, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Michelle Rodriguez and Jason Statham as the villainous Deckard Shaw. Currently known as "Fast 8" to fans, the high-octane sequel is being directed by F. Gary Gray (Straight Outta Compton).

Oscar winner Charlize Theron has been linked to the villain role since early February, though there’s no official update on her potential casting. Whether the chief antagonist is played by Theron or someone else, Hivju will play one of the villain’s main henchmen. Fast 8 is expected to be the first major studio movie to shoot in Cuba. The sequel will drive into theaters on April 17, 2017.

Hivju co-starred in the acclaimed foreign film Force Majeure and appeared in M. Night Shyamalan‘s After Earth with Will Smith and Universal’s remake of The Thing with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Egerton.

‘Game of Thrones’ Actor Kristofer Hivju to Battle Vin Diesel’s Crew in ‘Fast 8’ (Exclusive)

Update: February 9, 2016

FAST & FURIOUS 8 Will Feature Solo Female Villain; Charlize Theron Eyed for the Role

Charlize-Theron-Fast-and-Furious-8-020916-Dragonlord.jpg

Deadline is reporting that the eighth installment of the Fast And Furious franchise will have a sole female villain. The script is not even done, but sources tell Deadline that newly minted Fast 8 director F. Gary Gray and screenwriter Chris Morgan are inserting a fierce female villain into the story.

They are said to have their eye on a particular actress, too: Charlize Theron, whose gritty performance in Mad Max: Fury Road, certainly was a welcome force in the multiple Oscar-nominated George Miller film. It appears her dance card may be open during that time, too.

Gray and Theron have worked together before — on The Italian Job years ago. Universal had no comment on any casting speculation for its successful franchise, and no offer has been made to Theron. Sources say she hasn’t seen any part of a script yet.

So right now, its way too early to predict an outcome, but those agents representing strong female talent should take note. This is said to be a juicy role and, given the international reach of the multibillion-dollar franchise, is a primo spot for any actress. Whomever gets the plum role won’t be the only strong female in the cast: Michelle Rodriguez is expected to return.

‘Fast 8’ Will Ride With A New Female Villain; Charlize Theron Eyed for the Role

Update: February 3, 2016

Vin Diesel Announces Release Dates for FAST & FURIOUS 9 and 10

Vin-Diesel-Fast-Furious-020316-Dragonlord.jpg

Well racing fans, the talk over the last year or so hasn’t just been idle chit chat, and Universal’s second most successful franchise will indeed be 10-films long. As is customary for the series, the news comes courtesy of star Vin Diesel’s Instagram account, where tonight he revealed the release dates for the next three Fast & Furious films.

As previously announced, Fast 8 drops April 14, 2017. Fast & Furious 9 will follow it on April 19,2019, with Fast & Furious 10 coming April 2, 2021.

Diesel long said that Fast 8 was intended to form the first installment of a trilogy that will bring the series to a conclusion after 10 films. That plan, he says, is in part meant to honor the memory of Paul Walker. That’s very touching, but of course the biggest factor in the decision isn’t sentiment, but money. Luckily for Diesel, the last installment, 2015’s Furious 7, was a huge hit for Universal that went on to earn $1.516 billion worldwide.

Release Dates For ‘Fast & Furious’ 9 & 10 Set, Confirming 10-Film Series

Update: November 16, 2015

Universal Planning FAST & FURIOUS Spinoff and Prequels

Furious-7-Cast-Premiere-Dragonlord.jpg

A Fast and Furious cinematic universe? It could happen. Universal insiders say that the studio and franchise star Vin Diesel are exploring the idea of spinoffs and prequels as it seeks to develop movies beyond its core Furious movies.

The studio is coming off of a stellar $1.5 billion worldwide gross with this year's Furious 7, and recently hired F. Gary Gray to navigate that speedy world in what will be the first movie that will not feature deceased actor Paul Walker. At least three more movies, including the eighth one, are planned. The franchise is the studio's most lucrative brand and it's no surprise it will try to keep the cash flowing.

Cinematic universes have been a cause celebre in the studio world ever since Marvel Studios tied their movies together and led up to mega tentpole events in the form of The Avengers movies.

Universal is already trying to create a universe with a line of movies focused on its classic monsters characters such as Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and vampire hunter Van Helsing.

Universal Planning 'Fast & Furious' Cinematic Universe with Spinoffs and Prequels

Update: October 6, 2015

THE ITALIAN JOB's F. Gary Gray to Direct FAST & FURIOUS 8

F-Gary-Gray-Fast-and-Furious-8-Dragonlord.jpg

Straight out of Compton, and straight into Fast and Furious. After an intense search, Universal has settled on F. Gary Gray, the helmer behind its summer hit Straight Outta Compton, to direct Fast and Furious 8, and sources say Gray has told the studio he wishes to initiate negotiations for a deal. Gray was chosen over such directors as Louis Leterrier, Adam Wingard and William Eubank.

The search for a director was necessitated after efforts to convince Furious 7 director James Wan to return for No. 8 proved unsuccessful. The search then went public after THR reported on the difficulty in finding a director and star and Furious producer Vin Diesel took to Facebook to plug both himself and Rob Cohen, who directed the 2001 original movie, as possible candidates. On Monday, Gray met with Diesel, who does not have director approval rights but is consulted on all major decisions involving the franchise. After the meeting, Diesel posted a photo of himself with a smiling Gray on his Facebook page. The duo were posed in front of numerous Fast and Furious images.

In Gray, Furious 8 is getting a filmmaker who can juggle intense, over-the-top action sequences with some of the intense, over-the-top personalities working in front of the camera. That includes Diesel, who worked with Gray on 2003's action drama A Man Apart. Gray's credits include thrillers and action movies such as The Italian Job, The Negotiator and Law Abiding Citizen.

'Straight Outta Compton' Director F. Gary Gray in Talks to Helm 'Fast and Furious 8'

Update: June 24, 2015

Jason Statham Confirms He'll Return for FAST & FURIOUS 8

Furious-7-Jason-Statham-062415-Dragonlord.jpg

Jason Statham made his first appearance at the end of Fast & Furious 6 to tease his larger role in Furious 7 as the brother of Luke Evans' FF6 villain. He and Vin Diesel/Dwayne Johnson went toe-to-toe over the course of this year's film, but of course in the end, Good triumphed over Evil. But that doesn't mean Statham is out of the franchise.

Speaking with Access Hollywood recently, Statham revealed that his character of Deckard Shaw will indeed be returning for Furious 8: "We're already talking about doing another one, Part 8. I'm a newcomer, I just got invited to the party in this last one, so it's nice to know I'm going to be doing another."

We know that the original third act of Furious 7 was intended to set up Kurt Russell's enigmatic covert ops leader for Furious 8, but after the passing of Walker the film was retooled as tribute to the late actor. We can still reasonably expect Russell's character to have a significant role in Furious 8, and now it appears that Statham will be along for the ride as well.

Jason Statham Confirms His Character Deckard Shaw Will Return for Furious 8

Update: June 24, 2015

FURIOUS 7 Becomes 3rd Highest Grossing Movie of All Time

Furious-7-Abu-Dhabi-Dragonlord.jpg

Furious 7 has just become the third highest grossing movie of all time, overtaking 2012’s The Avengers. The Fast and Furious franchise has made a habit of shattering any and all expectations.

What originally began as a forgettable Point Break rip-off slowly evolved into the definitive action franchise of the past decade. Later films found ways to incorporate the weaker entries in the mythology. Big names constantly joined the cast. Somehow, each film managed to get bigger than the last in terms of box office and scope. The crazier the series got, the more audiences responded. With Furious 7, they’ve responded to the tune of $1,520,032,910 worldwide.

Furious 7 is about to end its theatrical run, so don’t expect it to go much further than this. Both Titanic and Avatar are still entrenched in those top two spaces and, with the possible exception of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, no one seems capable of dethroning them for the time being. Still, a crazy car chase movie gave two of the splashiest blockbusters of all time a run for their money. There are no words for how impressive that is.

‘Furious 7’ Passes ‘The Avengers’ to Become the Third Highest Grossing Movie of All Time

Update: May 17, 2015

Dwayne Johnson Confirms Returning for FAST & FURIOUS 8

Furious-7-Dwayne-Johnson-051715-Dragonlord.jpg

During the San Andreas press conference, Dwayne Johnson addressed the possibility of a Luke Hobbs spinoff for Fast & Furious. "We all are interested in it," Johnson said. "I just had a big conversation with the studio, so we'll see. I still think for me personally, we create a little bit of space from seven and gauge what the audience will want and go from there. That's my take on it. Now a lot of other people have their own say."

After the San Andreas press conference, Johnson was asked directly by NerdReport whether he'll be returning. "Of course," Johnson said, adding, "Can't go on without Hobbs."

There you have it. Not only will The Rock return for the eighth edition of Fast & Furious, but there's also the possibility his Hobbs character becomes a franchise itself. Is Hobbs the franchise character Johnson has been waiting for? To date, he has never played the same character more than three times, but Luke Hobbs may be his best known role yet.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Confirms Returning as Luke Hobbs in Fast & Furious 8

Update: April 23, 2015

FAST & FURIOUS 8 Officially Announced for April 14, 2017

Furious-7-Cast-Premiere-Dragonlord.jpg

Earlier today, Universal Studios hosted a panel at CinemaCon 2015 in Caesar's Palace. During the event, they showcased their upcoming line-up of films through 2015 & beyond and also looked back at their recent successes.

One of those successes is the Fast & Furious franchise. This year Furious 7 became the first film to gross over $1 billion worldwide. Universal Studios announced today that they will continue the franchise with an 8th installment. The announcement was made by Vin Diesel himself. Vin Diesel also announced the official release date will be April 14, 2017 for Fast & Furious 8.

"We're going to make the best movie you've ever seen," the actor said when announcing the release date. Diesel got emotional when speaking about his friend Paul Walker, who died before Furious 7 was completed. "The last time I was on this stage I was with my brother Pablo,” he said. “It’s hard for me to even watch that clip and then come out here without being emotional."

'Fast and Furious 8 Officially Announced with April 14, 2017 Release Date

Tried watching it online. Got about 2/3 of the way through and the turned it off. I don't know why I do it to myself. Must be some sort of morbid curiosity or something.

Well fuck. $1.1 billion and counting. No way they don't NOT keep doing the retarded superhero shit. :icon_conf

The superhero shit in 8 will probably be the power to magically escape the crushing gridlock of manhattan

hmm feel like this should be the last fast movie out of respect for Walker

Each movie becomes more and more over the top. By the time 10 comes around, they'll be racing buggies on Mars because for some reason, they are the only people that can save Mars from (insert scary threat).

A guess Vin Diesel will find the last infinity stone for part 8

They should make

The Fast and the Furious 8: Cannonball Run

Justice League/Avengers/Fast 8 Trinity War crossover

theyre going to be racing boats and investigate the underground boat scene

I hope they bring the DK to replace O'Conner.

Back