The fate of JMMA, Shohei Ohtani and Athleticism

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
As you all know, the JMMA have been in decline since the fall of PRIDE, and if you really look at how things are going, unlike a decade ago where the top LWs were Japanese, well not all, but many, none of Japanese fighters seem to be doing well. Koreans seem to be having more success, but not even close to the height of someone like Gomi's career,

If you are not baseball fan, you don't know who Ohtani is, he's 6'4 and 203. He can throw 100MPH, and hit 500ft homers. Not only that he can run, clocked at 29 ft per second.

1.jpg

c0f7c2dccd130290297e3e9b61c69f90.jpg

I am fully aware how xenophobic and racist people on Sherdog can be, though often not with malicious intent, and how fixated they are with 'athletic' abilities of fighters and prospects.

This guy must be one of the most athletic human beings ever born into our world.

9963A7395AC884EA2CCB0E

Not only is he super duper athletic, he's humble, driven and a competitor, and sounds like he eats sleeps and play ball.

On top of that, to make things even more unreal, this guy is also good looking guy as well, and apparently really popular with girls in Japan, and probably eventually in states as well. And really, good looks can definitely appeal to the public, whether in MMA or in life in general really.

3547715865_b6ca08b0.jpg

019.png

If someone like can come into MMA scene, I mean obviously not this guy but someone like this, JMMA will be back in no time.....

Last edited:
You're going full Sherdog/ESPN yourself.

Give the dude a few years, we'll see how it works out.

I am fully aware how xenophobic and racist people on Sherdog can be

Fuck you bro,

This is the most inclusive website on the interwebs. Shohei should just stick to math anyway, not worth talking about.

jap pitchers always fall off a cliff because they have mileage on their arms already coming into the league. yanks got a few good seasons out of tanaka. darvish is a trainwreck since coming back from surgery.

jap pitchers always fall off a cliff because they have mileage on their arms already coming into the league. yanks got a few good seasons out of tanaka. darvish is a trainwreck since coming back from surgery.

He can hit better than your favourite player, pfft

Dude don't compare me to ESPN/Sherdog, I feel offended

Sorry, both places just seem to expect the next superstar every ten minutes.

As with anything, give shit some time and see what happens.

Every year there are 20 or so "can't miss" guys who get drafted into the NFL and are gone in two years.

At the same time "nobodies" end up being stars.

Rice was too slow, E. Smith was too small, Brady was some average QB at Michigan etc.

I feel your love, friend

tumblr_n2918ejLTu1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
Don was just having a quick power nap, ref mistook it for a KO.

But i'll say this about them asians, man they can take a beating.

They are like pacific Mexicans, to beat em you gotta kill em, they come to fight - Respect.

Sorry, both places just seem to expect the next superstar every ten minutes.

As with anything, give shit some time and see what happens.

Every year there are 20 or so "can't miss" guys who get drafted into the NFL and are gone in two years.

At the same time "nobodies" end up being stars.

Rice was too slow, E. Smith was too small, Brady was some average QB at Michigan etc.

Well there were people saying he was at a high school level in spring training too. So, just in line.

Every year? More like once a century.

Yea you don't see many Japanese mma guys anymore, but they still produce some top notch boxers. Things change, the popularity of mma in japan has dropped off so it's no surprise you see less of them in the sport.

I mean, consider how much more money you can make playing baseball than in MMA.

That’s why top athletes go into baseball, soccer, basketball...

Ohtani may not have proven himself fully, but we’re a long ways off from athletes of his caliber in MMA coming from any country.

You'd probably have a better idea but it seems like Japanese are sticking individual combat sports. They're still pretty dominant in Judo, top 5ish in freestyle wrestling, have a handful of boxing champs including a top 10 p4p in Naoya Inoue and kind of run the show in kickboxing.

All of this combined would lead you to believe they should be right up there with the US, Russia and Brazil in MMA.

Back