The Fairtex BGV-1 VS. BGV-9 side by side comparison.

Wow, I didn't even think of that!!!

Thats a good point.

Nice review. Sweet pics. Makes me want to buy more gloves.

Also, congrats on 950 posts and green belt!

yay i just got my 9's today, first off i'd like to concur with just about ironwulf has to say about them, they are just damn great. i especially like the little additional grip bar that are at your finger tips, where you grip them with your finger tips and make a extra solid fist.

but there i may have a problem and need you guys to weigh in...

i am a small dude, 164cm and 53kg and i ordered the 9's in 16 oz, cus at the time i was they feel ok but i can't help but feel that they may be too big for me. the hand compartment is a bit larger than the boons i was using previously (i thought the boons' foam was a bit lacking), but that is not a big deal as the sheer length of the cuff on my short forearms

here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/0zi5V
sorry about the shitty pic, my phone cam is crappy, and when you click it it is huge and cover the whole screen so best open in another tab in album view.

i think i won't bother with the hassle of paying shipping for an exchange to 14 oz,
but for my next pair of gloves (i'm thinking winning) i'll go back to the 12 ozers.

Be careful with the 12s, I hear two repeated complaints with them, however, one usually corrects itself with time.

1) the finger tip bar is to tight and makes my finger tips numb
2) my knuckles hurt

They take some breaking in but they are still one of my favorite gloves. I'm thinking of getting some 14s when I'm in Thailand.

damn those BGV9's look beautiful. Really wouldn't expect a glove like that to come out of Thailand. That's a very Mexican design.

Great review Iron! I love the brown fairtex gloves. Are they a limited edition? Do you know if its drum dyed or painted? looks painted to me. Also love the red ones too. Are those the more traditional boxing gloves line that they recently released?

Great review Iron! I love the brown fairtex gloves. Are they a limited edition? Do you know if its drum dyed or painted? looks painted to me. Also love the red ones too. Are those the more traditional boxing gloves line that they recently released?

Yeah the brown fairtex are limited edition (all those fairtex except the red ones are limited editions). The brown is painted but still a cool glove. The red ones are "mexican" style gloves so its more of a traditional boxing glove than a Thai boxing glove. Im not sure how recently they were released but I love them, Ill be buying more of them in the future.

How is the hand pocket of the 12 ounce fairtex versus 16 ounces? I'm looking for some good gloves for pad work.

well i tested them out in the gym today. despite their impeccable craftsmanship and quality, they are damn rough gloves brand new straight out of the package. but i am looking forward to breaking them in, and by the end my hands will be much more toughened.

i got outboxed horribly today during sparring, but i had the fanciest gloves in the gym lol

also i weighed them both hands are quite accurate 440 grams = 15.520 oz

If I am not mistaking BGV9s and BGL7s are not safe for sparring at all. The padding is extremely dense and will break in a bit, but not enough for sparring.

If I am not mistaking BGV9s and BGL7s are not safe for sparring at all. The padding is extremely dense and will break in a bit, but not enough for sparring.

Yep, Fairtex even states this explicitly in their catalogues "not intended for sparring".

speaking of sparring gloves, would the fairtex bvg1 in 16oz be better than twins 16oz?
cus i heard fairtex bvg5 are shit and should be avoided.

BGV5 is shite.

as for the Fairtex bgv1 vs. Twins bgl3.....its a toss up, 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other and it comes down to which one fits you better. 16oz twins are pretty big so I choose the bgv1. I do lots of hard sparring in bgv-1s.

yeah i am leaning towards the fairtex 1s, very nice for you to be heading to Thailand shortly. i will make my trip around Feb or Mar next year.

I live close to Thailand. It's cheap and easy. I also get 4 months paid off each year so I spend like 100 days in Thailand a year (less thus year though)

Whichever allows for a larger hand. The 16 ounce bgv1 fit great length of hand wise they are just slightly wide.

the 9's have a tighter fit than the 1's, however, they both have good finger length. You run into finger problems with 12oz 9's.

First time with my new 9's today. Replaced my ringside ultimate classic boxing gloves I used for 8 years. At first I wasn't sure what to use them for. After reading this much helpful thread it would seem that I'm doing good. Pad work, very little bag, light sparring. May be a longer break in period but I can feel a bigger grip in there, and I'm sure the hand position will form right.

Thanks for all the input. This was a big help.

I dont know, Manny Pacquiao used to use Twins gloves all the time, they were his glove of choice before Winning (the traditional Thai velcro model). Twins lace-ups which are a Western style glove are common at the Wild Card Gym and lots of professional boxing gyms. Again with a lace-up Thai glove, Nonito Donaire has trained in several Fairtex gloves. Fairly often in the UK I do see professional boxers training with Thai brands, used to see a formerly local pro Alex Matvienko who was quite successful always training in Fairtex BGV1s.

The quality of those BGV9s you have looks as good, if not better than anything from Mexico, minus Reyes

I have to agree, here in the Philippines and other southeast asian countries including Japan use thai brands for boxing, if not Winning. Also saw a few guys in Robert Garcia's gym use Twins lace ups.

Ironwolf, I understand now what you meant when you said Fairfax possibly rivals Winning in terms of construction. While I still give it to Winning, I do see where you're coming from.

I laughed at that statement at first, but Taskmaster99 sent me the BGV9's and they are sick gloves. The leather and stitching is flawless. My only criticism is that they aren't designed for sparring. It's truely a shame they aren't for sparring, they almost seem too good to be for the bag. If you're into Thai brands the BGV9 seems to sit at the top.

At my gym anyone can wear them for sparrring, pro or ammy MMA practice, or any of the rest of us. When I asked there was no issue at all with it.

The knuckle padding will soften up in time. So far mine has.

Last edited:
Back