THE EXPANSE (Season 6 Official Trailer; Premieres Dec. 10, 2021)

So I checked out the pilot episode when it debuted and decided it wasn't my thing. I can't remember anything about it other than space sex.

But for those who stuck around, how's the rest of the 1st season and the two next ones?

Worth checking out?

What would is it comparable to? A SciFi Game of Thrones?

Rejoice, Expanse fans!

Update: May 21, 2018

THE EXPANSE Revived for a Fourth Season at Amazon Studios!

the-expanse-2.jpg

Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties. The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive the space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

Syfy had only first-run linear rights in the U.S. to The Expanse, which was based on James S. A. Corey's best-selling book series of the same name and starred Steven Strait. Amazon Studios had streaming rights to the first three seasons of the show. Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

The Expanse was a pricey swing for Syfy and the nature of the deal put additional pressure for the show to perform on its linear network as the cabler did not have either SVOD or international rights to profit from. (Netflix had international rights to the series.) The dramawas Syfy's first major push back into the traditional science fiction genre.

Following the cancellation, producers Alcon Television Group — which fully financed and produced the series — planned to shop the space drama to other networks.

Opening to promising reviews and a strong collection of loyal viewers in 2015, The Expanse's first season averaged 581,000 viewers in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic and 1.4 million total viewers with three days of DVR. Season two, which returned more than a year later with a significant marketing push and a solid lead-in, was down 24 percent among total viewers and averaged 457,000 total viewers. That compares more readily to similar returns for Syfy's inexpensive co-productions like Dark Matter and Killjoys than to the cabler's original scripted series like The Magicians and Happy.

The Expanse's third season, which bowed in April, tumbled another 5 percent among total viewers and 12 percent in the demo from season two.

"The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television. Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision," said Chris McCumber, president of entertainment networks at NBCU Cable Entertainment. "We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S. A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

The Expanse move follows a busy week of news on the broadcast side that saw Brooklyn Nine-Nine move to NBC after the comedy's cancellation by Fox, while the latter network revived Last Man Standing. In both cases, the networks' studio counterparts owned the shows, making the jump to their respective home networks considerably easier. In The Expanse's case, Amazon had SVOD rights, making a move to a different outlet more challenging.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

@Loiosh @fonzob1 @Ippy @JBSchroeds @GtehMVP @method115 @hillelslovak87 @MadSquabbles500 @tru3f4n @nefti @SiKnSiN @GearSolidMetal @headkicktoleg @WandySaku2 @streets ahead @Ikuza @Strychnine @Jackonfire @tatakai @cmw43 @closequarters @Crono7 @Krallang @CWMMA

Oh, fuck yes! Amazon knows what's up!

How do you feel this will affect the quality?

Great news, but keep watching live! Not a done deal yet.

So I checked out the pilot episode when it debuted and decided it wasn't my thing. I can't remember anything about it other than space sex.

But for those who stuck around, how's the rest of the 1st season and the two next ones?

Worth checking out?

The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever. I give it my 100% recommendation.

Push through to the early episodes of season one. It will all start to click on episode 4 and onwards, and it will reward you to the end.

Yes, it is sci-fi's Game of Thrones but you won't feel it yet until season 2 and season 3.

How do you feel this will affect the quality?

The show is already entirely funded by Alcon so I'd imagine the budget at the very least won't decrease.

I'd Imagine the budget could even be raised if Amazon picks it up because there's no doubt they'd want 100% of all distribution rights.

If you read the article it was said Jeff Bezos was pissed they didn't acquire the rights to this during season 1 because he's a huge fan of the books and wanted this show to be Amazon's Game of Thrones.

So I'm hoping for big things honestly.

Bezos actually went dream geek scenario and saved one of his favorite shows.

And then probably had two girls at the same time while an AI robot watched.

Rejoice, Expanse fans!
THE EXPANSE Revived for a Fourth Season at Amazon Studios!

the-expanse-2.jpg

Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties. The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive the space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

Syfy had only first-run linear rights in the U.S. to The Expanse, which was based on James S. A. Corey's best-selling book series of the same name and starred Steven Strait. Amazon Studios had streaming rights to the first three seasons of the show. Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

The Expanse was a pricey swing for Syfy and the nature of the deal put additional pressure for the show to perform on its linear network as the cabler did not have either SVOD or international rights to profit from. (Netflix had international rights to the series.) The dramawas Syfy's first major push back into the traditional science fiction genre.

Following the cancellation, producers Alcon Television Group — which fully financed and produced the series — planned to shop the space drama to other networks.

Opening to promising reviews and a strong collection of loyal viewers in 2015, The Expanse's first season averaged 581,000 viewers in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic and 1.4 million total viewers with three days of DVR. Season two, which returned more than a year later with a significant marketing push and a solid lead-in, was down 24 percent among total viewers and averaged 457,000 total viewers. That compares more readily to similar returns for Syfy's inexpensive co-productions like Dark Matter and Killjoys than to the cabler's original scripted series like The Magicians and Happy.

The Expanse's third season, which bowed in April, tumbled another 5 percent among total viewers and 12 percent in the demo from season two.

"The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television. Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision," said Chris McCumber, president of entertainment networks at NBCU Cable Entertainment. "We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S. A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

The Expanse move follows a busy week of news on the broadcast side that saw Brooklyn Nine-Nine move to NBC after the comedy's cancellation by Fox, while the latter network revived Last Man Standing. In both cases, the networks' studio counterparts owned the shows, making the jump to their respective home networks considerably easier. In The Expanse's case, Amazon had SVOD rights, making a move to a different outlet more challenging.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

@Loiosh @fonzob1 @Ippy @JBSchroeds @GtehMVP @method115 @hillelslovak87 @MadSquabbles500 @tru3f4n @nefti @SiKnSiN @GearSolidMetal @headkicktoleg @WandySaku2 @streets ahead @Ikuza @Strychnine @Jackonfire @tatakai @cmw43 @closequarters @Crono7 @Krallang @CWMMA

Fuck Yes! Amazon has really taken great strides lately. This will ensure them a subscription for years to come. I hope for longer episodes too!

gooooal.gif

About the last episode though. Was anyone else cracking a smile and fist pumping when Amos walked back into the air lock turned around and said "I am that guy"

I knew it was coming the second he placed his hand on the other guys gun but hell yea. I'm from baltimore so In my mind amos is like my grandson or something.

Worth checking out?

I was the same. I think they released two episodes early before the full first season launched a couple of months later. I wasn't impressed initially. I wound up rewatching those episodes a few months ago, then immediately binged both seasons in a few days. Now I eagerly await every Wednesday to watch new episodes.

It's basically broken down into three main factions, Earth, Mars and the mining colony known as the Belters (all humans). There's also a fourth major element, that I won't spoil, but it basically sets all factions on the brink of war.

I wouldn't label this as GOT in space, as it has its own identity, but the quality is definitely on par, with a cast of intriguing, and unique characters with distinct factions. For ex, Martians live in lower gravity, as do the Belters, so being on Earth is difficult, especially for the miners, our gravity is torerous in fact for many.

I absolutely love the cast, especially the main characters. Their arcs have taken us on quite the journey thus far, and the world building is second to none.

This is very space opera-like, but grounded in reality/Newtonian physics, which makes for incredibly tense/dramatic moments we wouldn't consider in sci-fi works like Star Wars/Star Trek.

The only negative I can think of is that episodes are too short, in that dreaded 42 min range to maximize commercials. If this does go to Amazon, I expect longer episodes, which this series begs for.

About the last episode though. Was anyone else cracking a smile and fist pumping when Amos walked back into the air lock turned around and said "I am that guy"

I knew it was coming the second he placed his hand on the other guys gun but hell yea. I'm from baltimore so In my mind amos is like my grandson or something.
I was internally yelling "Yusssss!"

As soon as he said "You're not that guy..." I knew he was going to say it right after the dramatic pause. I've been waiting a long time for Strickland to catch a bullet.

We did it guys! We saved our show all by ourselves with a little help from a billionaire.

It was so obvious it was going to happen and I still loved it.

Yikes! That scene with the ship flying through Saturn's rings was way, way out of proportion. Those rings would be far, far larger than a small spaceship. So much so that they wouldn't even look like rings. They would look like chunks of rock floating in space.

Being a fan of Sci-Fi shows is rough. There just aren't as many science fiction fans as you want to believe there are. They needed a big bump in live viewership to possibly save the show, and unfortunately it just didn't happen.

Such a shame really. This show has reached the level of being more than a great "Sci-Fi" show. It's straight up one of the best shows out there. Would put this season up against any show. And last night's episode was amazing. Maybe the best episode of the series. Again, such a shame.

The world is full of normies. Their brains are too small and boring to comprehend anything beyond the scope of what they experience on a daily basis. Boring low trait openness mofos.

tumblr_oxgnrpfXz21s9a9yjo1_250.gifv

This is why I'm glad I haven't read the books yet.

Back