The Evil Within 2

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Game came out yesterday and no love on Sherdog despite it being The Last of Us meets RE7. Best horror game I’ve played in the last decade and I’m about 3 hours in. Lots of stealthy fun and scares.

Didn't care too much for the 1st one. The story was so damned disjointed and the voice-acting so terrible, it really ruined the immersion for me.

Loved the design, though. Truly. They nailed the atmosphere and survival horror aspect, as encounters generally left you depleted of ammo. Had a solid RE1 vibe, in that regard.

Might pick it up down the road when it's on sale.

Ya. I'm on chapter 3. Fun game, don't like that the blood is so bright and the whole finding my daughter has been done to death.

Couldn't say no to $30 so I ordered it but have yet to play it. Let's hope the PC version isn't fucked like the first one was.

Much like Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, I still need to finish TEW 1. That fucking Chapter 9 Ruvik chase part really turned me off the game but I loved everything about it and I heard some of the later chapters are the best in the game. I'll have to bite my lip and get past that part. I loathe one hit kills in games so much.

I just have no time or I'd be all over this. Loved the first one.

I threw my ps3 controller cause I spent hours on the woods getting lost

Looking forward to this but I think I'll finish the first before I get it. By that time it will be on a PS flash sale.

Original is underrated. Grabbed it a few months ago. Other than the typical batshit story, and lame forgettable characters that these type of games tend to have(looking at you RE franchise), it delivered on what mattered most. Game play, and genuine tension and scares.

Not a game you play for a tight cinematic experience, but I'll be damned if it wasn't intense as all hell.

Damn though, didn't hear a peep about the release of this one. Flew under my radar. I'll check it out eventually.

Didn't care too much for the 1st one. The story was so damned disjointed and the voice-acting so terrible, it really ruined the immersion for me.

Loved the design, though. Truly. They nailed the atmosphere and survival horror aspect, as encounters generally left you depleted of ammo. Had a solid RE1 vibe, in that regard.

Might pick it up down the road when it's on sale.
This fixes everything wrong with the first one. There’s crafting and it’s an open world environment.

1. I'm not a horror fan, save for a few RE games and the Dead Space series
2. The first game looked promising, but ran like crap, had early ps3 graphics, and the controls were awful on gamepad
3. I'm absolutely sick of item crafting open world games

But when I saw the gameplay for this a couple days ago, color me goddamn intrigued.

1. I'm not a horror fan, save for a few RE games and the Dead Space series
2. The first game looked promising, but ran like crap, had early ps3 graphics, and the controls were awful on gamepad
3. I'm absolutely sick of item crafting open world games

But when I saw the gameplay for this a couple days ago, color me goddamn intrigued.
Crafting isn’t a central element, just an option if you squander your supplies. An improvement on the first game where if you squandered your supplies, you were fucked because melee attacks were tickles against enemies.

I got the platinum trophy on the first game. I played it so much in spite of the really frustrating elements.

I played this one all weekend. I'm only on Chapter 6 since I spent so much time exploring and goofing around in the town. There's been some really creepy moments, things you don't expect to run into when exploring buildings away from the objective, making those experiences more effective. One house I went to left me frozen, too afraid to push on for a while, as I didn't want to face what was in the next room.

I really enjoy the semi open world feel to it. It gives a nice balance between freedom and scavenging and being forced down certain paths and the claustrophobia and dread that comes with them.

You have different options on how to deal with the common enemies in the town to suit your play style. Personally, I like to stealth kill everything I can to collect green gel while saving all my ammo. As I continued to upgrade my stealth skills, Nurse Tatiana warned me to upgrade my combat skills because, sure enough, there are times when you have no choice but to fight.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun. I've hardly felt the frustration I had with the first game. The biggest complaint with the first was the abundance of one hit kills which left you staring at a loading screen far too often. So far in this game, I've not once gotten caught in some unexpected, cheap one hit death.

The movement, especially the melee combat is clunky as ever. I know they don't want us to rely on melee to survive and conserve ammo, but can't there be a better way to accomplish this than making the character throw slow, goofy, wild swings with the knife? My other complaint thus far would be the lack of variety in the basic zombie creatures. There's what, 3 models? And they aren't nearly as creative as the creatures in the first game.

I'm glad I bought and look forward to playing it more but I will continue to savour the experience and explore every moment I can. I think they're on the right track with the Evil Within, making it a more enjoyable experience this time around. I hope the series sees a 3rd game, building on what has worked so far.

Never finished the first one. I rage quit hard early into the game. The save system was complete garbage and I had tried to progress at least 15 times. Snipers ended up picking me off whenever I made a move after getting out of the stupid house after hiding under a bed.

I got the platinum trophy on the first game. I played it so much in spite of the really frustrating elements.

I played this one all weekend. I'm only on Chapter 6 since I spent so much time exploring and goofing around in the town. There's been some really creepy moments, things you don't expect to run into when exploring buildings away from the objective, making those experiences more effective. One house I went to left me frozen, too afraid to push on for a while, as I didn't want to face what was in the next room.

I really enjoy the semi open world feel to it. It gives a nice balance between freedom and scavenging and being forced down certain paths and the claustrophobia and dread that comes with them.

You have different options on how to deal with the common enemies in the town to suit your play style. Personally, I like to stealth kill everything I can to collect green gel while saving all my ammo. As I continued to upgrade my stealth skills, Nurse Tatiana warned me to upgrade my combat skills because, sure enough, there are times when you have no choice but to fight.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun. I've hardly felt the frustration I had with the first game. The biggest complaint with the first was the abundance of one hit kills which left you staring at a loading screen far too often. So far in this game, I've not once gotten caught in some unexpected, cheap one hit death.

The movement, especially the melee combat is clunky as ever. I know they don't want us to rely on melee to survive and conserve ammo, but can't there be a better way to accomplish this than making the character throw slow, goofy, wild swings with the knife? My other complaint thus far would be the lack of variety in the basic zombie creatures. There's what, 3 models? And they aren't nearly as creative as the creatures in the first game.

I'm glad I bought and look forward to playing it more but I will continue to savour the experience and explore every moment I can. I think they're on the right track with the Evil Within, making it a more enjoyable experience this time around. I hope the series sees a 3rd game, building on what has worked so far.
I love the clunky melee, took out 3 zombies with one axe swing

I love the clunky melee, took out 3 zombies with one axe swing

The axe is fun for a nice, gory quick kill. Of course, it must break after only one use or this game would be way too easy.

I actually got caught in a one hit kill last night. It was a situation where you have plenty of time to react, but I screwed up. Before I could even wonder about how far back it would put me or how long it's going to take to load, it put me right back to that moment without any load time at all. One moment I'm dead, the next moment I'm standing at the spot right before the event triggers. I'm thankful they handled it way better this time around.

Could I dive right in to this one or would I be lost without playing the first? I've heard so many stories of how annoyingly cheap the first one can be, I've played dark souls recently so I'm not really looking to get my ass kicked again yet.

Could I dive right in to this one or would I be lost without playing the first? I've heard so many stories of how annoyingly cheap the first one can be, I've played dark souls recently so I'm not really looking to get my ass kicked again yet.

I think you'd be okay without knowing the story of the first game.

The story of the first game is so convoluted and confusing you don’t have to play it to enjoy the 2nd. Completely different events happening.

I never beat the first one. Got to the boss rush at the end and kept getting decapitated by that chainsaw fuck at the end of the boss rush and ragequit.

On chapter 4 and loving it. The open world exploration and side quests make it a big improvement on the first one which was a great game too.

Back