The Escape In Transition Mindset by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of the most common questions I get is how can I escape a specific position, or how can I escape against someone that's bigger?

I truly believe that while it's important to understand how to escape positions when you are caught in them, it's even more important to understand how to escape in transition. This is what takes a person up to the higher levels.

The "transition point" which is the overlap between going from one situation to the next is usually a vulnerable point for your opponent when they are attempting to complete things such as passes or sweeps.

This is one of the best times to escape, however too many people don't have the "escape in transition" mindset. The sooner you drill and practice this into your brain along with drilling common scenarios, the better it will be for you.

In this video I talk about this particular mindset.

Hope it helps and thanks for watching!

Jason Scully

I have trouble reconciling what I interpret to be a more patient approach to escaping (i.e. wait til he moves) vs. an opponent who can strike you at any time.

I have found from personal experience that the patient approach works well in a grappling context. While I understand that strikes can leave your opponent exposed, it seems much harder to "wait" when your opponent can strike you at any moment from the top. The sense of urgency to escape is very strong.

Thanks for the video. Contains valuable info I wish I was told a long time ago.

Back