W&W

Pryda

Kaskade

Deadmau5

Favorite DJs live?

Favorite studio DJs and producers?

Best festivals you've been to?

Last edited:
i used to listen to a lot of house music, still do but its no longer #1. armin van buren, SHM, tiesto, hardwell, diplo, steve aoki etc but then it kinda evolved into just random subgenres and remixes from mostly unkonwn producers on YT.
here are some bops (granted alesso is far from unknown):

not gonna lie just relistened to both songs and damn that alesso one is actually so good still wtf

HWaQd6Z.png
HWaQd6Z.png
HWaQd6Z.png

also fuck deadmau5 dude seems like such a pretentious phag and also kygo got old real quick

i used to listen to a lot of house music, still do but its no longer #1. armin van buren, SHM, tiesto, hardwell, diplo, steve aoki etc but then it kinda evolved into just random subgenres and remixes from mostly unkonwn producers on YT.
here are some bops (granted alesso is far from unknown):

not gonna lie just relistened to both songs and damn that alesso one is actually so good still wtf

HWaQd6Z.png
HWaQd6Z.png
HWaQd6Z.png

also fuck deadmau5 dude seems like such a pretentious phag and also kygo got old real quick

Deadmau5 himself says he's a douche so I think everyone's pretty much in agreeance with that.

But musically, the dude pretty much changed EDM single handedly, you have to give him props.

Can't get into Diplo or Aoki. But old Tiesto was amazing ( In Search For Sunrise was so sick).

My wife bought me a dj controller for Xmas. It's going to take a lot of practice before I'm any good, but I've enjoyed messing about with it. I really like mixing in spoken word samples over deep house style tracks. The biggest problem I have is recognising songs/artists. I've got tons of house/techno but damned if I know what most of it is. I've thought about starting off with rap and maybe mixing in one or two random house tracks until I find ones that work. That might be easier. Anyway, this is my 2nd attempt. It's a bit rough.

Mathame is nasty.

Deadmau5 himself says he's a douche so I think everyone's pretty much in agreeance with that.

But musically, the dude pretty much changed EDM single handedly, you have to give him props.

Can't get into Diplo or Aoki. But old Tiesto was amazing ( In Search For Sunrise was so sick).

Out of curiosity how did he singlehandedly change EDM?

Out of curiosity how did he singlehandedly change EDM?

Need answer to this

@truthisfreedom

I can't speak from a pop EDM standpoint, as I'm not into that. But From an EDM purist standpoint (EDM without pop influences), he's well known as one of the biggest sound innovators in the industry.

"Faxing Berling" and "Not Exactly" (2007ish) were the 2 tracks that put Deadmau5 on the map. EVERYBODY was talking about him when this EP came out, and his signature rising synth stab sound, was a completely different style of prog house that no one had ever heard before. Suddenly everyone was using it in their music, to the point where some producers even made a living exclusively copying Deadmau5's sound (Mossy, Mango, Arthur Deep come to mind immediately). Since then , Deadmau5 has switched from prog house to more electro house and pop house, but 10 years later in 2017, you can still hear people using his rising synth stab in their music. W&W, Hardwell, Tiesto, Pretty much all of the leading big room, big prog EDM DJs ( not pop EDM), are still borrowing from a sound the Deadmau5 innovated 10 years ago.

Bar his horrible attitude.....from a strictly musical standpoint, he's always been one of the most respected producers in the EDM industry, and still is to this day.

Had a listen to the faxing Berling track and TBH i dont think its anything different to any other prog I've heard in the past 20 years. Not really my cup of tea but whereas the music industry used to be about artists carving out a niche and/or style of their own I think it is about copying what is popular with the masses and riding the fad until something else comes along.

Had a listen to the faxing Berling track and TBH i dont think its anything different to any other prog I've heard in the past 20 years. Not really my cup of tea but whereas the music industry used to be about artists carving out a niche and/or style of their own I think it is about copying what is popular with the masses and riding the fad until something else comes along.

I think it doesn't sound different to you now, because so many people have copied it over the last decade ( especially in prog house) that it sounds very generic now. Also keep in mind that he made that in 2007......at the time, that style had never been heard before. Another example of a sound that's currently saturated is Sandro Silva - "Epic". Believe or not, that song is recognized as the first big room song ever made. But now, 5-6 years deep into the big room fad, and "Epic" doesn't seem that great anymore.

And I agree with people mostly just copying fads right now. We've seen it with big room, then Tropical House/Tech house, and now Trap / Future house/ Future bounce.

My wife bought me a dj controller for Xmas. It's going to take a lot of practice before I'm any good, but I've enjoyed messing about with it. I really like mixing in spoken word samples over deep house style tracks. The biggest problem I have is recognising songs/artists. I've got tons of house/techno but damned if I know what most of it is. I've thought about starting off with rap and maybe mixing in one or two random house tracks until I find ones that work. That might be easier. Anyway, this is my 2nd attempt. It's a bit rough.

That's actually not bad! What Controller do you have? I learned how to mix on a Traktor Kontrol S2. Graduated to CDJ 2000s not too long ago.

That's actually not bad! What Controller do you have? I learned how to mix on a Traktor Kontrol S2. Graduated to CDJ 2000s not too long ago.

Cheers. I've got a Numark Platinum. I was surprised how easy it was to set up. It came with Serato intro which wasn't great but luckily the full version was half price over Xmas so I got that.

Cheers. I've got a Numark Platinum. I was surprised how easy it was to set up. It came with Serato intro which wasn't great but luckily the full version was half price over Xmas so I got that.

Serato is a really solid platform to learn on, alot of pros use it. I've got a great platform to learn on there.

Serato is a really solid platform to learn on, alot of pros use it. I've got a great platform to learn on there.

I bought myself a Maschine. Must have spent about 6 hours trying to figure out how to set it up. It still isn't right but at the moment just making sounds on the thing is good enough for me

I bought myself a Maschine. Must have spent about 6 hours trying to figure out how to set it up. It still isn't right but at the moment just making sounds on the thing is good enough for me

Maschine is a bit more difficult, but well worth the learning curve. What's your end goal?

I don't really have any goals. I just enjoy tinkering with instruments and seeing what I can get out of them

Back