The Dougas who showed up in Tokyo beats any version of Tyson.

MartinGibson86

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
As James "Quick" Tillis showed against the young, savage Tyson, lateral movement was the key to giving Tyson fits. He held Tyson to a 6-4 decision. A round in which Tillis was winning saw Tyson score a flash knockdown---otherwise, Journeyman Quick Tillis would've gotten a draw with the the unbeatable Tyson.

High-powered offenses are overrated in all sports. David Tua has a 30 second KO of Moorer on his resume. He got schooled by Chris Byrd. Tyson dominated a weak HW era.

Probably. That version of douglas basically had all the tools that tyson struggled with throughout his career

Its why i think ali would have schooled tyson quite frankly. Also had all the tools tyson struggled with but was 10x greater than douglas

We've done this topic a million times before. All I remember is Clinton woods is the goat and 4 million.

Probably. That version of douglas basically had all the tools that tyson struggled with throughout his career

Its why i think ali would have schooled tyson quite frankly. Also had all the tools tyson struggled with but was 10x greater than douglas

Yes I've always said Ali would've either TKOd Tyson or made him quit within 9.

Quick Tillis was a very poor man's version of Ali and gave pre-Robin, killer Tyson fits.

Sorry to waste y'all's time. Some goof in the Heavies challenged me to bring this to you guys.

Yes I've always said Ali would've either TKOd Tyson or made him quit within 9.

Quick Tillis was a very poor man's version of Ali and gave pre-Robin, killer Tyson fits.

Sorry to waste y'all's time. Some goof in the Heavies challenged me to bring this to you guys.
In that case I'll give you a sensible answer. He was all wrong for tyson in terms of how the fight went. If you add in cocaine and being a moron it doesn't increase tysons ability. He was going to lose sometime and Douglas did the blueprint. Simple as that. Tyson was still a wrecking ball when he was young but there is always a way to beat someone.

Nah. It was a combination of a great version of Douglas and a bad version of Tyson. The best Tyson beats the best Douglas. He almost finished him early in the fight as it was.

I do agree that Douglas looked fantastic in that fight.

I agree with Seano, best Tyson beats the shit out of best Douglas.

But that version of Douglas might be heavyweight champ today. He'd at least be in the top 3. It's actually surprising watching that fight nowadays and seeing how well Douglas moved for a big heavyweight when now we have guys who are big but somewhat slow, uncoordinated, lumbering, etc, like Klitschko, Joshua, Wilder, Ortiz, etc.

How are either of your answers different to mine?

i don't know, i just don't know. all fighters have had mediocre fighters give them close fights, all have. and all fighters have things they struggle with or a bad showing/day. Douglas was talented, he was big and strong too and he could move but I'll always remember how close he came to getting counted out and I'll always wonder if he was deciding whether to get up or to quit. A better conditioned tyson puts him down easier and finishes him off.

I really think "that night" Douglas is a very hard out for anyone. It was a freak of circumstances with his mom and he was in the best shape of his life and ready to die before losing, incredibly confident and determined. It was a very strange and special window for him. And Mike, while not his best, was still a beast and Douglas didn't care. He was headed into the mouth of the lion to kill the lion, not to try.
It was like the perfect storm of Douglas that night. Everything was 110% firing on all cylinders, and the loss of his mother somehow had the effect of making his heart grow into beast mode. He certainly didn't have it against Holyfield, but he had it in Tokyo. Had it in spades.

_1er-1339597926.jpg

I had you figured as a club member...
andrew-shaylor-hells-angels-13.jpg

8b4b_1.JPG

As James "Quick" Tillis showed against the young, savage Tyson, lateral movement was the key to giving Tyson fits. He held Tyson to a 6-4 decision. A round in which Tillis was winning saw Tyson score a flash knockdown---otherwise, Journeyman Quick Tillis would've gotten a draw with the the unbeatable Tyson.

High-powered offenses are overrated in all sports. David Tua has a 30 second KO of Moorer on his resume. He got schooled by Chris Byrd. Tyson dominated a weak HW era.
I'd say Tyson is overrated by some but he still almost scored a KO in that fight. It was Douglas at his best +1 against an out of shape Tyson. It's hard to say how things would have played out against a peak Tyson. It was a great performance but Buster might be getting some nostalgia points.

Back