The Disappearance of Shelly Miscavige (a Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath thread)

I find it ironic that Remini has a show to discredit the same religion she defended so adamantly for so many years. Used to be she'd go on a talk show and if you asked her about scientology she would get super defensive and cuss you out. Once her looks and acting career have faded she decides to have a change of heart? She knew all the crazy shit they were doing before but said nothing.
she gets none of my sympy. <{hughesimpress}> BBC's panorama scientology expose's and HBO's going clear are a better watch.

Because nobody can ever change over time or it's fake? She stayed with scientology because she believed they were trying to do good thing, they had a plan to save humanity. Same reason anyone follows any religion. They use a substantial amount of propganda to make lower level members believe that.

She didn't just leave out of the blue. She also didn't know what was going on in the church. They don't tell lower ranked members anything. She asked questions for years getting unsatisfactory answers. Then she started to clue in to what was really going on in the church and left.

She's not even asking for any sympathy for herself, if anything she seems to have a lot of sympathy for the people scientology has really screwed over.

Years ago, on a trip to L.A., my brother bought their holy book Dianetics in Hollywood and I skimmed through it for a while. Don't really remember all that much, I've seen some shows on them and read some Wikipedia pages and whatnot, but it's all so out there that I can't really make heads or tails of it. I've never been all that into science fiction or religion or science fiction posing as a religion and acting as a cult. As far as I can tell, Dear Leader has his disobedient wife holed up in their compound safe and sound in a technical legal sense, but she's essentially in a luxury prison. Not much can be done for her, I'm afraid.

What makes you think that? On Going Clear they talked to people who had been imprisoned for a long time and it was terrible conditions.

my point is she could have came out and apologized for the way she had acted in defending their heinous acts before her epiphany. instead she plays the victim and conveniently forgets how she treated everyone up to that point. and if she was too 'brainwashed' to remember, the evidence of her belittling people is all on tape to view at her leisure.

Have you even watched the show? The whole thing is an attempt for her to put them on blast and get the truth out there. She basically says on the show she was an idiot for believing what they were telling her.

She very obviously has a lot of guilt and anger for supporting them all those years and blindly swallowing their propaganda. Her having a highly visible show on cable, that she knows will most likely get her targeted by the church, IS her trying to atone.

If she didn't care at all she wouldn't have made the most aggressive public attack on scientology anyone has ever made, by making a high profile show like that.

What makes you think that? On Going Clear they talked to people who had been imprisoned for a long time and it was terrible conditions.

Here's one thing I'm not sure about regarding the imprisonment: How capable are they of just walking out if they want to?

Mike Rinder says something in the show that's along the lines of the actual chains being mental. As in, it sounded like if he REALLY wanted to, he could've just walked away. But the mental coercion was so strong that he allowed himself to be subjected to these terrible conditions.

Have you even watched the show? The whole thing is an attempt for her to put them on blast and get the truth out there. She basically says on the show she was an idiot for believing what they were telling her.

She very obviously has a lot of guilt and anger for supporting them all those years and blindly swallowing their propaganda. Her having a highly visible show on cable, that she knows will most likely get her targeted by the church, IS her trying to atone.

If she didn't care at all she wouldn't have made the most aggressive public attack on scientology anyone has ever made, by making a high profile show like that.

my point is apology and everything else should have came out long before the show was even an idea. people shouldn't be getting paid to make tv shows that indirectly apologize for them.
other programs had already put scientology on blast without personal agendas. remini's 'apology' equaled revenue via book sales and an episodic tv show. if you can't see what's happening there then consider yourself blind.

Here's one thing I'm not sure about regarding the imprisonment: How capable are they of just walking out if they want to?

Mike Rinder says something in the show that's along the lines of the actual chains being mental. As in, it sounded like if he REALLY wanted to, he could've just walked away. But the mental coercion was so strong that he allowed himself to be subjected to these terrible conditions.
they can't walk out. there are barbwire fences, spotlights, and armed guards.

This for sure. This program is going to cause a lot of problems for her, both in regard to her being directly targeted by the Church but also, considering the influence of Scientology in Hollywood, it could damage her career and future opportunities.

Because nobody can ever change over time or it's fake? She stayed with scientology because she believed they were trying to do good thing, they had a plan to save humanity. Same reason anyone follows any religion. They use a substantial amount of propganda to make lower level members believe that.

She didn't just leave out of the blue. She also didn't know what was going on in the church. They don't tell lower ranked members anything. She asked questions for years getting unsatisfactory answers. Then she started to clue in to what was really going on in the church and left.

She's not even asking for any sympathy for herself, if anything she seems to have a lot of sympathy for the people scientology has really screwed over.
people tried to tell her what was going on and she was brainwashed to the point of denial and responsive outrage in defense of her' religion.' she isn't lower ranked, she was raised in scientology and as a celebrity paid lots of money to be in their bracket. if all you know about scientology is what you have seen on that show then this conversation is over because I will have a much greater knowledge than you regarding the subject matter.

people tried to tell her what was going on and she was brainwashed to the point of denial and responsive outrage in defense of her' religion.' she isn't lower ranked, she was raised in scientology and as a celebrity paid lots of money to be in their bracket. if all you know about scientology is what you have seen on that show then this conversation is over because I will have a much greater knowledge than you regarding the subject matter.

She was lower ranked. They have tons of high profile celebrities that have paid tons of money, they're not all high ranked. She tried to ask questions and was told more than once essentially you're a rank and file member stfu with these questions.

I've said before I've read a lot about scientology over the years. Maybe you've read more, who knows. Not sure why you're taking a confrontational stance when I'm not even arguing with you.

If you want to pull the I'm so much more knowledgable than you, that you aren't worth speaking to card, then go for it.

People that talk like that tend to be douches I'm not interested in conversing with anyway.

This for sure. This program is going to cause a lot of problems for her, both in regard to her being directly targeted by the Church but also, considering the influence of Scientology in Hollywood, it could damage her career and future opportunities.

Exactly, sure this show will make her some money. If money was her primary goal though, this is a terrible short sighted way to go about it.

Not only can it potentially damage her career, but she'll have to deal with their harassment and potential lawsuits. Not worth it for a payday, especially for someone that was already on a hit show that still has millions of dollars.

That's the craziest part to me. I don't think you can be physically restrained in any way, or else they would be guilty of kidnapping. However, they can shame you, trick you, or even run after you like you are an escaping prisoner. It's an insane level of control.

I said "luxury prison" because she's living on a luxurious compound. But sure, it's possible she's living in "the hole" of the compound. It was a figure of speech. Speculating, DM might have more regard for her than for the average outcast. Or not. It's hard to tell with those types. He also might want to keep her "clean" in case the authorities inquire further. The guy's an asshole, but probably crafty enough to know it's in his own best interest to keep her "safe".

You only take an interest in things that effect you directly?

Most people have this.thing called empathy, when they care when shitty things happen to someone that isn't them.

Even if they don't, damn near everyone has curiosity, especially about secretive malevolent organizations

we have busybodies in chicago too. i know it happens, i just dont understand it. let em bang bro

and yes i find it interesting, but have no urge to stop what other people do

I said "luxury prison" because she's living on a luxurious compound. But sure, it's possible she's living in "the hole" of the compound. It was a figure of speech. Speculating, DM might have more regard for her than for the average outcast. Or not. It's hard to tell with those types. He also might want to keep her "clean" in case the authorities inquire further. The guy's an asshole, but probably crafty enough to know it's in his own best interest to keep her "safe".

I doubt he is treating her well. The dude makes his dad call him "sir" instead of David/Dave or anything else. He has been known to beat people that work closely with him. He is an egomaniac and an asshole.

we have busybodies in chicago too. i know it happens, i just dont understand it. let em bang bro

and yes i find it interesting, but have no urge to stop what other people do
IIRC from other threads, you don't have much in the way of empathy for others.

That's fine and all, but some people do.

Because nobody can ever change over time or it's fake?

Its typical sherdog. Everyone in the spotlight is always disingenuous, thinks they are better than other people, liars etc,etc

Its quite comical how many posters here feel the the need to go on the hunt to "bust" athletes or actors etc,etc

Its typical sherdog. Everyone in the spotlight is always disingenuous, thinks they are better than other people, liars etc,etc

Its quite comical how many posters here feel the the need to go on the hunt to "bust" athletes or actors etc,etc

Its crazy people in the public eye are held to these absurd standards. "She said crazy things once!"

If there was footage out there of every goddamn retarded thing I ever said or did when I was younger, I'd be fucked.

I doubt he is treating her well. The dude makes his dad call him "sir" instead of David/Dave or anything else. He has been known to beat people that work closely with him. He is an egomaniac and an asshole.
I was never under the notion that she was being treated well. Just that it's plausible that she's being kept in a clean facility with clean clothes, shelter, food, etc. The damage is more psychological than physiological. I think DM is wily enough to know that she can't be physically harmed or it could bring him down. She also may have been broken years ago already and is doing whatever she can to stay in their good graces and receive better treatment given the circumstances. Since she's his wife to begin with, he may have more regard for her than for someone else who was in a similar position.

IIRC from other threads, you don't have much in the way of empathy for others.

That's fine and all, but some people do.

is this guy's shtick that he wanders into threads and can't understand why he doesn't feel things like other humans?

That's the craziest part to me. I don't think you can be physically restrained in any way, or else they would be guilty of kidnapping. However, they can shame you, trick you, or even run after you like you are an escaping prisoner. It's an insane level of control.

Yeah. If they were literally keeping people locked up they'd have been shut down.

To refer again to Mike Rinder, he says everything they do is "just on the edge of legal," meaning that it's legal to do, even if just by the thinnest margins.

Somehow, amazingly, these people submit themselves to the abuse.

Back