The Disappearance of Shelly Miscavige (a Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath thread)

O.K. first of all, David Miscavage, the leader of Scientology looks like a legit psychopath.

image.png

I read the Vanity Fair article and this is one of the quotes that stuck out to me.

This cryptic explanation only fueled the mystery. Had Shelly fled the church? Was she in hiding? Some Scientology defectors believe she was exiled to one of several secretive and heavily guarded bases the church owns in remote western locales. There, the sources say, those who are banned endure lives of isolation, menial labor, and penury. The reason, they claim, is simple. “The law [in Scientology] is: The closer to David Miscavige you get, the harder you’re going to fall,” says Claire Headley, an ex-Scientologist who, along with her husband, Marc, worked closely with the Miscaviges. “It’s like the law of gravity, practically. It’s just a matter of when.”

I would guess that she was either murdered by the psychopath above, or she is drugged and held in some locked room somewhere because she threatened to leave him or something. 10 years is a long time to not be seen.

Then you have stuff like this.

Miscavige, who is about five feet five inches and was chronically asthmatic, had always defied his physical limitations. In the middle-class suburbs of Philadelphia, where he was raised, he had pursued his family’s passions—from football to Scientology—with terrier-like aggression. By the age of 12, he was conducting auditing sessions with adults. At 16 he dropped out of high school and, like all new Sea Org members, signed a billion-year contract that locked him in full-time and forever.

You have to realize that "audits" are a process by which Scientologists subject themselves to long interviews, sometimes hours, to let go of their past and cleanse their energy and be able to move to the next level of spiritual evolution. The audits are performed by higher level Scientologists that themselves already went through the audit process. For the current leader to have been performing audits at age 12 is like him being the chosen one.

So what they do is they hook you up with these potato machines and they ask you all these personal questions for hours at a time, this could go on for weeks or even months until the machine registers the correct amount of energy for you to pass on to the next level.

WBM-Auditing.jpg

Then you have that people say he was prone to fits of violence.

While Miscavige had a hair-trigger temper that produced sudden fits of verbal and physical violence, according to several sources—at one point, he’d punched his own auditor—most of the time he was just a fun-loving wunderkind.

And of course this.

“We were kids, and it was all exciting, and it was all the future, and it evolved and evolved,” says Mark “Marty” Rathbun, who at the time served as Miscavige’s top deputy. “The thrill lasted about three years after the old man died. After that time, it progressed to insanity.”

Scientology is well sealed off from the rest of society. It would be difficult for the police to pull up to their main facilities and even make it inside. It would be fairly easy for him to get rid of his wife and just sweep it under the rug.

Lolwut? Because they're a crazy cult like something out of a movie. Giving out solitary confinement as a punishment. All kinds of secret ranks, rituals, they harass the shit out of people that leave. They operate their Sea Org ship out in international waters so they can ignore laws. They've been implicated in missing persons cases and murders.

They've used frivolous lawsuits en masse to browbeat their opposition into submission. They've conducted secret sting operations on their "enemies", including hiring people to pose as their roommates and significant others, neighbors etc. and then monitor them for the church.

They use their fair game policy to systematically destroy anyone that speaks out against them. There's certainly a lot of craziness, more than enough to interest people. These aren't mormons or hindus.

@shadow_priest_x I've been researching them for years, I think the Remini show is very interesting. They're hiding something about Miscavige's wife. I think they might ave either had her killed or haveher in one of their solitary confinement lockdowns. Pretty scary they've pursued people that leave church grounds, sometimes while armed. The people that got away always mention going to a public location where they wouldn't risk doing anything.

Makes you wonder how many people weren't so lucky and were dragged back. That and the people that have committed suicide, died in accidents, or from illnesses makes you wonder. Especially since a popular punishment for them is confinement with minimal food.

Throw in the child slave labor and what's not to like? Live and let live maaaaaannnn

Lolwut? Because they're a crazy cult like something out of a movie. Giving out solitary confinement as a punishment. All kinds of secret ranks, rituals, they harass the shit out of people that leave. They operate their Sea Org ship out in international waters so they can ignore laws. They've been implicated in missing persons cases and murders.

ndciphgif.gif

how does any of this make a difference in your life?

It really is like some shit out of a movie.

I have to admit, as obviously as insane as it is, there's a part of me that has to grudgingly admire Hubbard and Co for building the shit from the ground up and making it as successful as its been.

I don't think it will be successful for long though. With the Internet and all the information coming out, it's hard to imagine that many people are actually joining the shit today. I can't help but think it's a dying organization.

I am really finding the show interesting. I started it last night and blew through three eps easily.

Regarding Shelly, it seems that she was photographed with David earlier this year, which is the first time even a photo of her has gotten out since her disappearance:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...public-2007-reported-missing-Leah-Remini.html

Yeah, this is a big question that I have. How much of their intimidation is physical and how much of it is mental. For instance, the executives in The Hole. If one of them was just like, You know what, fuck this, I'M OUT! OUT OF MY WAY OR I'M PRESSING CHARGES FOR FALSE IMPRISONMENT! Would he be allowed to leave?

It's good to know she's at least alive. Word was she hadn't been seen in public for years. I bet she's still under some sort of house arrest punishment.

Multiple have people have noted the weird thing about scientology is, it doesn't have the hundreds and often thousands of years of lore and tradition that other religions do.

It's very unusual for a religion created not even a full generation ago, to gather that much loyalty and power so fast.

I think they're great at picking up impressionable people and indoctrinating them a bit at a time, building to the real craziness.

And just my theory, but I think the core revelation of the religion, that you're an immortal god like being, would be very attractive to celebrities that are already a bit detached from reality.

They're also really great at using propaganda to make it seem like they're taking your money and using it to do good.

As far as what Hubbard believed, he was quoted as saying inventing a religion would be a great way to make money years before he started scientology.

He might have believes some of his own bullshit by the end, but he was basically the ultimate conman

ndciphgif.gif

how does any of this make a difference in your life?

You only take an interest in things that effect you directly?

Most people have this.thing called empathy, when they care when shitty things happen to someone that isn't them.

Even if they don't, damn near everyone has curiosity, especially about secretive malevolent organizations

It's good to know she's at least alive. Word was she hadn't been seen in public for years. I bet she's still under some sort of house arrest punishment.

Now that I really look at the pic and read the article though, apparently that is a pic from several years ago. It's just now being released publicly for whatever reason.

Multiple have people have noted the weird thing about scientology is, it doesn't have the hundreds and often thousands of years of lore and tradition that other religions do.

It's very unusual for a religion created not even a full generation ago, to gather that much loyalty and power so fast.

I think they're great at picking up impressionable people and indoctrinating them a bit at a time, building to the real craziness.

And just my theory, but I think the core revelation of the religion, that you're an immortal god like being, would be very attractive to celebrities that are already a bit detached from reality.

They're also really great at using propaganda to make it seem like they're taking your money and using it to do good.

As far as what Hubbard believed, he was quoted as saying inventing a religion would be a great way to make money years before he started scientology.

He might have believes some of his own bullshit by the end, but he was basically the ultimate conman

I think that the winning formula here was casting it not just as a religion, but also as a self-help program. From what I understand, a lot of the wackiest religious stuff isn't even revealed until later on. What really hooks people is the promise that with Scientology's methods you can improve your life here and now.

Last edited by a moderator:
@shadow_priest_x

While we are at it, you brought up Sea Org.

so.jpg

Have you heard the story of Elli Perkins who was an auditor for Scientology? The short of it is this. Scientology doesn't believe in psychology. Elli's son was diagnosed as a schizophrenic but she wouldn't let the doctors treat him so instead she sent him to Sea Org. He failed out of Sea Org and then she took him to the Scientology Celebrity center to go through "audits" all day and be cured by Scientology.

That didn't work and his schizophrenia got worse and he stabbed her 77 times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Elli_Perkins

O.K. first of all, David Miscavage, the leader of Scientology looks like a legit psychopath.

image.png

I read the Vanity Fair article and this is one of the quotes that stuck out to me.

This cryptic explanation only fueled the mystery. Had Shelly fled the church? Was she in hiding? Some Scientology defectors believe she was exiled to one of several secretive and heavily guarded bases the church owns in remote western locales. There, the sources say, those who are banned endure lives of isolation, menial labor, and penury. The reason, they claim, is simple. “The law [in Scientology] is: The closer to David Miscavige you get, the harder you’re going to fall,” says Claire Headley, an ex-Scientologist who, along with her husband, Marc, worked closely with the Miscaviges. “It’s like the law of gravity, practically. It’s just a matter of when.”

I would guess that she was either murdered by the psychopath above, or she is drugged and held in some locked room somewhere because she threatened to leave him or something. 10 years is a long time to not be seen.

Then you have stuff like this.

Miscavige, who is about five feet five inches and was chronically asthmatic, had always defied his physical limitations. In the middle-class suburbs of Philadelphia, where he was raised, he had pursued his family’s passions—from football to Scientology—with terrier-like aggression. By the age of 12, he was conducting auditing sessions with adults. At 16 he dropped out of high school and, like all new Sea Org members, signed a billion-year contract that locked him in full-time and forever.

You have to realize that "audits" are a process by which Scientologists subject themselves to long interviews, sometimes hours, to let go of their past and cleanse their energy and be able to move to the next level of spiritual evolution. The audits are performed by higher level Scientologists that themselves already went through the audit process. For the current leader to have been performing audits at age 12 is like him being the chosen one.

So what they do is they hook you up with these potato machines and they ask you all these personal questions for hours at a time, this could go on for weeks or even months until the machine registers the correct amount of energy for you to pass on to the next level.

WBM-Auditing.jpg

Then you have that people say he was prone to fits of violence.

While Miscavige had a hair-trigger temper that produced sudden fits of verbal and physical violence, according to several sources—at one point, he’d punched his own auditor—most of the time he was just a fun-loving wunderkind.

And of course this.

“We were kids, and it was all exciting, and it was all the future, and it evolved and evolved,” says Mark “Marty” Rathbun, who at the time served as Miscavige’s top deputy. “The thrill lasted about three years after the old man died. After that time, it progressed to insanity.”

Scientology is well sealed off from the rest of society. It would be difficult for the police to pull up to their main facilities and even make it inside. It would be fairly easy for him to get rid of his wife and just sweep it under the rug.

Yeah, the whole story is so bizarre. It makes you wonder what Miscavige was really like as a kid and what it was that Hubbard and others saw in him that made them go, "Yeah, this is the guy to take things to the next level."

In regard to where Shelly is, not sure if you actually went through my write up--if not, you probably should because I put some interesting info in there that isn't in the Vanity Fair piece--but it seems clear that she's PROBABLY at Twin Peaks. Whether or not she's there against her will is the question.

@shadow_priest_x

While we are at it, you brought up Sea Org.

so.jpg

Have you heard the story of Elli Perkins who was an auditor for Scientology? The short of it is this. Scientology doesn't believe in psychology. Elli's son was diagnosed as a schizophrenic but she wouldn't let the doctors treat him so instead she sent him to Sea Org. He failed out of Sea Org and then she took him to the Scientology Celebrity center to go through "audits" all day and be cured by Scientology.

That didn't work and his schizophrenia got worse and he stabbed her 77 times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Elli_Perkins

I can't say that I heard that story, no, but it's terrifying.

It actually reminds me of a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness. His daughter needed some medical procedure and the church said no. That was the first step on a long journey where he eventually left the church and got all of his family out as well.

I find it ironic that Remini has a show to discredit the same religion she defended so adamantly for so many years. Used to be she'd go on a talk show and if you asked her about scientology she would get super defensive and cuss you out. Once her looks and acting career have faded she decides to have a change of heart? She knew all the crazy shit they were doing before but said nothing.
she gets none of my sympy. <{hughesimpress}> BBC's panorama scientology expose's and HBO's going clear are a better watch.

I find it ironic that Remini has a show to discredit the same religion she defended so adamantly for so many years. Used to be she'd go on a talk show and if you asked her about scientology she would get super defensive and cuss you out. Once her looks and acting career have faded she decides to have a change of heart? She knew all the crazy shit they were doing before but said nothing.
she gets none of my sympy. <{hughesimpress}> BBC's panorama scientology expose's and HBO's going clear are a better watch.

At least according to Remini, she was too brainwashed to actually believe the stories she heard. Her experience had been all positive and that's how she judged the Church.

Also, from what I've read, the primary catalyst that set her on the path to leaving was Shelly's disappearance. That's what made her start opening her eyes.

If they can come up with a religion based around this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Why cant they do one based on Chtulu?

I guess it is no different than most religions. Every religion has heros with superpowers engaging in grand epic battles.

At least according to Remini, she was too brainwashed to actually believe the stories she heard. Her experience had been all positive and that's how she judged the Church.

Also, from what I've read, the primary catalyst that set her on the path to leaving was Shelly's disappearance. That's what made her start opening her eyes.
brainwashed is a cop out for not wanting to accept one's faults.

Regarding Shelly, it seems that she was photographed with David earlier this year, which is the first time even a photo of her has gotten out since her disappearance:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...public-2007-reported-missing-Leah-Remini.html

That picture, while being recently released, is apparently quite old. It would have to be from sometime before 2000 as that is when Ron Miscavige Jr. left the Church and he is in the picture. The article says it was taken sometime before Ron Jr. and Ron Sr. left.

If they can come up with a religion based around this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Why cant they do one based on Chtulu?

I guess it is no different than most religions. Every religion has heros with superpowers engaging in grand epic battles.

What I want to know is how many people actually believe in Xenu and the whole story surrounding him. Like, how many Scientologists actually, truly believe it is the literal truth rather than interpreting it in some metaphorical sort of way?

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture, while being recently released, is apparently quite old. It would have to be from sometime before 2000 as that is when Ron Miscavige Jr. left the Church and he is in the picture. The article says it was taken sometime before Ron Jr. and Ron Sr. left.

Yeah, I noticed that afterward.

brainwashed is a cop out for not wanting to accept one's faults.

Not according to most psychologists and experts on cults and the cult mentality. Sophisticated cults are able to do what they do precisely because they're able to manipulate people's minds into obedience.

Years ago, on a trip to L.A., my brother bought their holy book Dianetics in Hollywood and I skimmed through it for a while. Don't really remember all that much, I've seen some shows on them and read some Wikipedia pages and whatnot, but it's all so out there that I can't really make heads or tails of it. I've never been all that into science fiction or religion or science fiction posing as a religion and acting as a cult. As far as I can tell, Dear Leader has his disobedient wife holed up in their compound safe and sound in a technical legal sense, but she's essentially in a luxury prison. Not much can be done for her, I'm afraid.

Not according to most psychologists and experts on cults and the cult mentality. Sophisticated cults are able to do what they do precisely because they're able to manipulate people's minds into obedience.
my point is she could have came out and apologized for the way she had acted in defending their heinous acts before her epiphany. instead she plays the victim and conveniently forgets how she treated everyone up to that point. and if she was too 'brainwashed' to remember, the evidence of her belittling people is all on tape to view at her leisure.

my point is she could have came out and apologized for the way she had acted in defending their heinous acts before her epiphany. instead she plays the victim and conveniently forgets how she treated everyone up to that point. and if she was too 'brainwashed' to remember, the evidence of her belittling people is all on tape to view at her leisure.

Have you actually watched the show? She certainly doesn't seem proud of herself.

Back