The Disappearance of Mauray Murray (UPDATE: Oxygen series debuts 9/30, trailer on post 312)

That's exactly what I was thinking, like the movie club. Just from researching this case I've already found at least 8 more that would be really interesting to discuss.

I take it then that you would be down for such an enterprise?

I think any cases that we jumped into would need to have a lot of "research support." What I mean by that is documentaries, books, articles, stuff like Renner's blog, etc.

It's like with the JonBenet case, most of it centered around the various documentaries that were being released on TV at the time. Those were the focal point of everyone's research.

So anything that we did, there'd really need to be enough material to dive into to sustain everyone's interest and sustain the conversation.

I actually have considered that, if this discussion goes well and people really take the time to dig in, that we could possibly try to start a True Crime Club of sorts. It would be similar to the Movie Club, but instead of covering a movie we'd cover a new true crime case, and instead of doing it every week we'd do a new case every month.

Not sure how much traction that would get though.

I would definitely be up for something like this. There are lots of cases that I would like to learn more about, and something structured like this would give me the motivation to read more on some of these cases.

I would definitely be up for something like this. There are lots of cases that I would like to learn more about, and something structured like this would give me the motivation to read more on some of these cases.

Maybe we should try to put it together. We'd have to figure out the logistics, though.

For instance, I don't want to have to put the OP together every time. The reason is that if I do, then that means I'd have to do all the research beforehand and I'd never get to jump into a case fresh with everyone else. So I would want that responsibility to rotate between different members.

Also, as I was saying to @EnterTheNinja, I'd only want to cover cases that have enough research material to support them.

I'd love a true crime club. Please notify of threads like this in the future as well, TS. Much appreciated.

Hard to say what happened here... seems like Renner's theory is the most plausible.

I actually have considered that, if this discussion goes well and people really take the time to dig in, that we could possibly try to start a True Crime Club of sorts. It would be similar to the Movie Club, but instead of covering a movie we'd cover a new true crime case, and instead of doing it every week we'd do a new case every month.

Not sure how much traction that would get though.

I've considered doing a thread like this but figured it wouldn't catch on. Clearly I was wrong.

The Johnny gosh case is fascinating. Drove me nuts nut the missing Beaumont kids was the case that got me hooked on these things. Prolly cause im aussie and its like the biggest one from here.

I think people at the party are being quiet but I don't think it was a real party. Just like a few people drinking in their dorm room..I did that a tone at uni and can't remember everyone I did it with

Wasn't their something shoved in the exhaust pipe of the car? That's the weird part.

I also think there's something up with that a frame house that needs to be discussed further

If anyone is interested in how people dissappear these days of their own accord look up the missing podcast. It's all.about that.

Another insane case is the one of Emma Fillipoff. Check that shit if yall havnt

That's been proven? Interesting. I had similar questions about the car as @Fadeless. Because it seems obvious that she couldn't just drive away--otherwise she would have--but at the same time it doesn't look in that bad of shape.
I´ll be honest , before you brought this up, i hadnt even heard about this incident... but i like a challenge and i like to help , and this is both .... it is puzzling and it is interesting , and one feels the urge to help in any way possible in hopes the outcome is diferent...whatever it is at this point tho.
The one thing that is lingering in my mind is her lie to the bus driver ... by now i dont question the accident , i dont question that she didnt want the cops involved and i tend to believe that she didnt have a phone line ... so wtf did she lied to the one trust worthy person that had a free ticket to her "salvation"? .... what were the chances of her getting "lost" right then and there and that the next person that came to help was a lunatic killer ?
Im not saying the accident was stagged, cause even if she wanted there was no need for it, i just have the feeling that she somehow knew that somebody she knew was allready coming to her aid ... i just get that ... usually the rabbit hole goes much deeper then one thinks, and i believe that this is one of those cases , but more then usually it depends on a "insider"... thats why i strongly believe that somebody she knew and trusted was in on this ... so ...
Put every and anyone related to this under a lie detector until they start to sing!
My take on this is that someone , anyone, even remotely related to her or this, is hiding a great voice ! Im all for the American Constitution , but no innocent voice can fear to be heard , so make them fkin sing !

I'm going to imagine it is pretty easy to die in the cold February woods of New Hampshire. That probably goes up a notch or two when you factor drunk in there as well.

The northeast woods are dense. You fall off the side of a road and down a steep embankment nobody is likely to find you. People walk on trails, not through thick impenetrable brush. A little bit of wind will dust away your foot prints quick.

Being drunk in the New England winter is a bad idea. You don't pick up on the cues that your body is in trouble so well. Yes, I do speak from experience.

I take it then that you would be down for such an enterprise?

I think any cases that we jumped into would need to have a lot of "research support." What I mean by that is documentaries, books, articles, stuff like Renner's blog, etc.

It's like with the JonBenet case, most of it centered around the various documentaries that were being released on TV at the time. Those were the focal point of everyone's research.

So anything that we did, there'd really need to be enough material to dive into to sustain everyone's interest and sustain the conversation.
Ya I'm in. I agree with you on a lot of what you said as well. I think it would have to be monthly not weekly, too much research would need to go into it to try to do that every week. Also, there would have to be a couple different "case starters" because if you did them all then that would be A LOT of time invested on your end and wouldn't be very fun for you, not being able to come in fresh.

Maybe we can alternate per month with whoever wants to be a part of this?

I've considered doing a thread like this but figured it wouldn't catch on. Clearly I was wrong.

It's tough to know exactly what threads are going to catch on and what threads won't. I've made a few that I thought would be popular and they sank like a rock. And I've made a few thought I didn't have a lot of hope for and they just kept going and going.

Wasn't their something shoved in the exhaust pipe of the car? That's the weird part.

Yeah, a rag in the tail pipe. Fred said he told her to do that because the car was running poorly, but to my knowledge that's NEVER been a known remedy for a poorly running car.

If anyone is interested in how people disappear these days of their own accord look up the missing podcast. It's all.about that.

Looks interesting. I'm not finding any direct download links on the website though. Just iTunes and the ability to stream it on Soundcloud.

The one thing that is lingering in my mind is her lie to the bus driver ... by now i dont question the accident , i dont question that she didnt want the cops involved and i tend to believe that she didnt have a phone line ... so wtf did she lied to the one trust worthy person that had a free ticket to her "salvation"? .... what were the chances of her getting "lost" right then and there and that the next person that came to help was a lunatic killer ?
Im not saying the accident was stagged, cause even if she wanted there was no need for it, i just have the feeling that she somehow knew that somebody she knew was already coming to her aid ... i just get that ... usually the rabbit hole goes much deeper then one thinks, and i believe that this is one of those cases , but more then usually it depends on a "insider"... thats why i strongly believe that somebody she knew and trusted was in on this ... so ...

I think, with the bus driver, the primary motivation for the lie was that she didn't want him to call the police. That's it. And she may have even said it in a moment of panic, without thinking it through. Like, her only agenda at that point was to make sure this dude didn't call the cops.

Whether or not someone was nearby that she knew, that's up in the air. But it certainly could be the case.

Ya I'm in. I agree with you on a lot of what you said as well. I think it would have to be monthly not weekly, too much research would need to go into it to try to do that every week. Also, there would have to be a couple different "case starters" because if you did them all then that would be A LOT of time invested on your end and wouldn't be very fun for you, not being able to come in fresh.

Maybe we can alternate per month with whoever wants to be a part of this?

Yeah, I would definitely want to rotate on "OP duty." But that means that whoever is in charge of that for that particular go around would have to be solid enough that they're going to put the time in to do a proper OP with an overview of the case and links to resources.

Also, I think we'd need to restrain it to cases that have a mystery at the heart: a disappearance, a killer who was never found, a perpetrator arrested who looks like they may be innocent. . . That kind of thing.

And regarding resources, to cycle back to that, we'd have to have some requirements. What those requirements should be we'd have to discuss, but there has to be enough "meat on the bone" there to sustain the discussion.

Exactly. It's a mistake to get too attached to any particular theory, or to dismiss any other theory.
Right. I think the three (or so) main theories (wandered off, picked up by tandem driver, forcibly kidnapped by a bad actor before the cops showed up) are the most plausible, even though they all have some holes in them. And then there have been some theories brought up here which can be pretty much outright dismissed, such as the theory that the bus driver brought her back to his cabin. As has been stated before, the cabin was occupied by his common law wife and his mother at the time, and he called the cops from there. All of the evidence suggests he was truthful about his offering her help and her refusing it while making an erroneous claim that she had called AAA, and that he knew this was false, which is why he called the cops as soon as he could when he got back to his home where he had a landline (no cell phone service at the time, and even today it is notoriously unreliable).

That's been proven? Interesting. I had similar questions about the car as @Fadeless. Because it seems obvious that she couldn't just drive away--otherwise she would have--but at the same time it doesn't look in that bad of shape.
Externally it looked OK, but the internal damage was extensive. Not totaled, but it obviously had to be repaired before it could become operable again. Mjmj laid out the damage better than I could, so check out his post, if you haven't already (I'm sure you have already, though).

Back