The difference between wrestler vs BJJ mindset

When you are working with younger/middle school kids do you focus on high rep good drilling or try to get them play wrestling/sparring as soon as you think they can handle it?
I do both on different days. Some days I only have them drill a move 20 times then just play wrestle and wrestle live. Some days they drill every rep on the whistle for an hour. The thing about my coaching, My middle schoolers do a lot of the same training workouts I did when I was at the Olympic Training Center. They just cannot match the intensity, power, and explosion during their reps and live.

I do both on different days. Some days I only have them drill a move 20 times then just play wrestle and wrestle live. Some days they drill every rep on the whistle for an hour. The thing about my coaching, My middle schoolers do a lot of the same training workouts I did when I was at the Olympic Training Center. They just cannot match the intensity, power, and explosion during their reps and live.
That makes sense, thank you. I've been trying to find the way to run practice and teach that works best for me to maximize their time. I started scripting it and that was a big help, still figuring out the best way to teach play wrestling

The biggest difference to me is that in stand up arts 100% commitment to a throw is a given. There's no way even a highly skilled wrestler can take a double at 75% and expect it to work against anyone with a little bit of training.
[.

I agree with this, wrestlers and judokas commit 100% to the throw. BJJ you do not usually commit 100% to a throw for guys with mediocre stand up skills. .

I was training with our Judo coach and I tried a seoi nage and missed. I tried again and I missed. Finally our coach throws me and he said the only reason you didnt throw before even though you had the right grips and a good entry was you didn't commit 100%.

In BJJ committing 100% to a pass can be a mistake. But it seems like in throw heavily grappling like wrestling and judo once you see a opening you go for it.

I agree with this, wrestlers and judokas commit 100% to the throw. BJJ you do not usually commit 100% to a throw for guys with mediocre stand up skills. .

I was training with our Judo coach and I tried a seoi nage and missed. I tried again and I missed. Finally our coach throws me and he said the only reason you didnt throw before even though you had the right grips and a good entry was you didn't commit 100%.

In BJJ committing 100% to a pass can be a mistake. But it seems like in throw heavily grappling like wrestling and judo once you see a opening you go for it.
Um what

I'm a Judoka, not a wrestler, but I can tell you that you certainly can do throws and takedowns at 75%, 50%, etc. while keeping proper form and throwing mechanics. If you couldn't dial down the intensity of your throws while maintaining technique, you'd run out of training partners too fast for anyone to get good.

This is actually a big problem at both judo clubs I train at, people get injured in randori, so little time is spent training against resisting opponents and because of it i don't progess as fast as in where more time is spent rolling.

Also I've noticed the guys that wrestled before they did bjj or judo tend to be more aggressive and even spazzy and than people that didn't.

Last edited:
Back