The difference between wrestler vs BJJ mindset

tjry

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think if you're talking about starting at a young age, wrestlers and BJJ players develop different mentalities

HS wrestling: cultivates mental toughness, tenacity, and a win-at-all-costs mentality. Also being forced to compete and (hopefully) learning good nutrition is a plus

BJJ: destroys your ego, teaches you how to admit defeat but also teaches you that technique beats everything

"BJJ: destroys your ego" is wrong on so many levels.

I think if you're talking about starting at a young age, wrestlers and BJJ players develop different mentalities

HS wrestling: cultivates mental toughness, tenacity, and a win-at-all-costs mentality. Also being forced to compete and (hopefully) learning good nutrition is a plus

BJJ: destroys your ego, teaches you how to admit defeat but also teaches you that technique beats everything
There are so many wrong things and flawed assumptions here

I'd like to point out that your ego is definitely going to be checked when you start wrestling as well

And oh yeah... people like Rafa and Gui that started young like most wrestlers and trained full time are so not like college wrestlers in the way they train and approach... oh wait

I think the "bjj destroys your ego" is a popular misconception originated by the well known newbie advices like "leave your ego at door", "the gym isn't where you compete" and so on, in reality whoever see or seen competitive people sparring knows they hate to lose even in training.

I think the "bjj destroys your ego" is a popular misconception originated by the well known newbie advices like "leave your ego at door", "the gym isn't where you compete" and so on, in reality whoever see or seen competitive people sparring knows they hate to lose even in training.
I think the healthy mindset is try to be competitive but dont get down when you get tapped alot.

The biggest difference to me is that in stand up arts 100% commitment to a throw is a given. There's no way even a highly skilled wrestler can take a double at 75% and expect it to work against anyone with a little bit of training.

In bjj technique advantage let's high level guys roll with a lot less commitment and still dominate the lower ranks.

HS sports aren't really compare able to bjj as one is basically competitive with professional teachers and the others a hobby.

The biggest difference to me is that in stand up arts 100% commitment to a throw is a given. There's no way even a highly skilled wrestler can take a double at 75% and expect it to work against anyone with a little bit of trainin

Couldn't disagree more.

HS sports aren't really compare able to bjj as one is basically competitive with professional teachers and the others a hobby.

The level of professional and competitiveness is like every other high school sport. It depends on the school you are at, and the league or competitions you get to partake in. For a lot of HS wrestlers, the school team is no better than just going BJJ class, and a tourney here and there.

The biggest difference to me is that in stand up arts 100% commitment to a throw is a given. There's no way even a highly skilled wrestler can take a double at 75% and expect it to work against anyone with a little bit of training.

In bjj technique advantage let's high level guys roll with a lot less commitment and still dominate the lower ranks.

When will this stupid delusion end... smaller and more technical wrestlers destroy bigger stronger and less technical people all the time using minimal effort.... I know, must shroud art in eastern mysticism to be a "proper" martial art

The level of professional and competitiveness is like every other high school sport. It depends on the school you are at, and the league or competitions you get to partake in. For a lot of HS wrestlers, the school team is no better than just going BJJ class, and a tourney here and there.
yup. In fact many of the same concessions, not running practice as hard as it could be, not expecting year round training, working with work or personal schedules within reason etc, as most hobbyist focused schools are

When will this stupid delusion end... smaller and more technical wrestlers destroy bigger stronger and less technical people all the time using minimal effort.... I know, must shroud art in eastern mysticism to be a "proper" martial art

You didn't read what I typed... go for a takedown with 75% commitment no workey, go for a scissor sweep at 75% workey. The level of technique with either is irrelevant, ground fighting in general offers greater positional dominance and potential for maintaining ... again nothing to do with the level technique it's the mechanics of the position.

You didn't read what I typed... go for a takedown with 75% commitment no workey, go for a scissor sweep at 75% workey. The level of technique with either is irrelevant, ground fighting in general offers greater positional dominance and potential for maintaining ... again nothing to do with the level technique it's the mechanics of the position.
Then you don't understand the mechanics or have a high understanding of the technique... and you specifically talked about what people of greater skill and smaller skill can do at 75% effort.. and the vast majority of the time the people who say things like this are hobbyists, primarily train with hobbyists and have limited to no actual decent much less high level wrestling training...

So high school wrestlers are never defeated?

I'm a Judoka, not a wrestler, but I can tell you that you certainly can do throws and takedowns at 75%, 50%, etc. while keeping proper form and throwing mechanics. If you couldn't dial down the intensity of your throws while maintaining technique, you'd run out of training partners too fast for anyone to get good.

If this is true for Judo, there's absolutely no reason it wouldn't be just as true for Wrestling. A hip throw is a hip throw.

I'm a Judoka, not a wrestler, but I can tell you that you certainly can do throws and takedowns at 75%, 50%, etc. while keeping proper form and throwing mechanics. If you couldn't dial down the intensity of your throws while maintaining technique, you'd run out of training partners too fast for anyone to get good.

If this is true for Judo, there's absolutely no reason it wouldn't be just as true for Wrestling. A hip throw is a hip throw.
the point rem
Judo gi act as a sling magnifying power. Wrestlers cannot use their arms much in the throw.
the same

It will be same when you throw wrestler with sode tsurikomi goshi. A hip throw is a hip throw, isn't it?

Back