The Democratic Party left me behind — and I'm not alone

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thought I would share this article from USA Today, its not a typical article you see, would like to read your opinions on it.

USA Today Network Saritha Prabhu, The Tennessean Opinion

I’m no Trump supporter, but I’ve been repulsed by the political and cultural left’s hatred, demonization and mistreatment of the president.

I am a Democrat who has spent the last two years often criticizing my own party and fellow Democrats.

Yeah, I’m a bad Democrat, I know.

I have friends and readers asking me, “Are you still a liberal?” and “Have you changed parties?” and “Why are you seemingly defending Trump?”

I’ve been a loyal Democrat for about 15 years. As someone who became a citizen in 2006, I became a Democrat during the George W. Bush years, because I liked the party’s anti-war, pro-minority, pro-environment, pro-little guy positions.

But the 2016 election was an eye-opener for me. To use the current political jargon, I became “woke,” in some very different ways, and I got “red-pilled.”

It was the year I recognized that our two political parties have become dinosaurs, ossified beyond recognition. Yes, there’s grassroots energy in the Democratic Party, but party leadership is essentially bereft of ideas.

It was the year I joined millions of Americans in losing faith in the ruling class of both parties and in many of our political institutions.

It was also the year this voter became increasingly frustrated that our national media outlets — cable, network and legacy news media — have self-bifurcated into stark pro- and anti-Trump factions.

It's us against the establishment
The real divisions, as I see it, aren’t between Democrats and Republicans, but between the political and corporate ruling class and the national media establishments that support them, on the one hand, and the rest of us. All the other divisions are less consequential.

Politicians from both parties have gotten away with letting down ordinary Americans for decades because millions of Americans are culturally wedded to their tribal political identities of Republican or Democrat, and can’t think outside the box.

Looked at this way, the election of Donald Trump made perfect sense to me. Sixty-three million voters — including African-Americans, Hispanics and Democrats — rejected status quo politics and voted for a strong, rank outsider to shake the establishment from their comfortable perches.

Would President Donald Trump’s supporters have preferred a decent, moral, well-behaved, well-informed populist? Sure, but in dire times, you take the populist who shows up because beggars can’t be choosers, etc.

The Democratic Party and its followers have left me for many reasons, but here are a few examples:

• The party and its followers have been showing illiberal tendencies for some time.
  • It has gone off the rails on immigration, free speech, identity politics and some other issues — a topic I’ll defer for another day.
  • I’m no Trump supporter, but I’ve been horrified and repulsed by the political and cultural left’s hatred, demonization and mistreatment of President Trump, his family, his administration officials and his voters, which is even worse (if that’s possible) than what the right did to President Obama.
I view the current political climate both as a citizen and a writer.

As a citizen, I see myself more as a political orphan — neither Democrat or Republican.

For an opinion writer, self-identifying as a Democrat (or Republican) can be constricting. It can consciously or unconsciously make you hew to positions, make you defend the indefensible. It can give you cognitive dissonance.

For example: Defending Hillary Clinton in 2016 and the Democratic Party’s current far-left stance on immigration would’ve required me to be dishonest about my views or to contort my opinions into impossible positions.

I see myself as a political independent these days, who’ll opine based on what she sees and thinks, not along party lines.

For what it’s worth, renegades like me are like that canary in the coal mine: We’re trying to warn Democrats when they’re tone-deaf or still don’t get it.

Saritha Prabhu is a columnist at the Tennessean,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...09/democratic-party-left-me-column/766561002/

Prabhu is a pandering dolt. Whether she is or was a Democrat or not, no one cares about her opinion.

Also, I really fucking doubt she's a Democrat, since all of her contributions have been anti-Democrat and for right-wing outlets. She's a contributor for The Federalist ffs. You can google her name and find several "omg, the libz are losing it" stories.

These pieces are always so goddamn stupid.

Yeah she was a liberal until she decided she wanted Bush era policies on steroids with a veneer of populism. Okay lady, whatever you say!

I'm no trump supporter...sounds like a whole lot of anti anti trump points coming up

Shes like 2 years behind the rest of us.

I'm no trump supporter...sounds like a whole lot of anti anti trump points coming up
yeah its like the people that start sentences with "Im not a racist, but..."

dead give away

Prabhu is a pandering dolt. Whether she is or was a Democrat or not, no one cares about her opinion.

Also, I really fucking doubt she's a Democrat, since all of her contributions have been anti-Democrat and for right-wing outlets. She's a contributor for The Federalist ffs. You can google her name and find several "omg, the libz are losing it" stories.

Textbook ad hominem.

Same here. I’m no right winger but I find myself passionately disagreeing with all the core left arguments. Voted democrat all my life and no more

Democrats would be wise to stop brushing off all the people sharing stories like this. At a certain point I'd think (and hope) theyd say hey wait a minute.. maybe were doing something wrong?

Unless of course their goal is to just push everyone right and get a real nazi party started?

These pieces are always so goddamn stupid.

Yeah she was a liberal until she decided she wanted Bush era policies on steroids with a veneer of populism. Okay lady, whatever you say!
People can change their political views. Most people lean more right as they get older.

Democrats would be wise to stop brushing off all the people sharing stories like this. At a certain point I'd think (and hope) theyd say hey wait a minute.. maybe were doing something wrong?

Unless of course their goal is to just push everyone right and get a real nazi party started?

Agreed. Kinda shocking how little they are rattled by members leaving. Somehow they assume that means we wear MAGA hats and are idiots but that’s not the case

I was a lifelong democrat.

When hope and change turned into arming jihadists, I was out.

Agreed. Kinda shocking how little they are rattled by members leaving. Somehow they assume that means we wear MAGA hats and are idiots but that’s not the case
It's so over the top I cant help but go straight to a conspiracy mindset and think these guys are all in this together working towards some greater goal I'm not smart enough to see

Lmao what dem would write about trump like this? She sounds like most of the trump supporters here.
I could not bring myself to vote for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, but Mr. Trump could turn out to be a better president than the press thinks. While he often seemed uniformed and erratic during the campaign, he is intelligent and well spoken when he wants to be, and he thinks big.

Nor is he a lock-step partisan. He has tendencies both left and right, and if the gravity of his new office tempers his worst impulses and he surrounds himself with good people, he has the capacity to be a strong leader who gets things done.

Most of all, I am thrilled that Mr. Trump beat the mainstream press, which dropped all pretense of neutrality this year in order to save us from a monster. Along with other elites in both parties, you are glum today. It’s delicious.

I'm just so sick to death of all this identity politics that now I support the racist foxnews grandpa who spends half his time fighting the culture wars over twitter.

Did I mention how much I dislike identity politics?

People are shitting on this, but if things continue the way they are going there will be a large group of people that will get sick and tired of the two sides just shouting over each other.

I'm already tired of both the left and right, and so are many people I know.

They need to stop behaving like childern and start moving forward.

Except this person wasn't a Democrat and shows no policy leanings of ever having been a Democrat.

This is just clickbait nonsense in the garbs of actual political commentary. Notice how she doesn't actually cite actual policies (as do the *real* dissidents from the GOP)? She just talks about cordiality without daring to hint on the hypocrisy of her criticism given the complete lack of good faith governance by the GOP over the past 30 years.

Back