The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

There's two stages of "treatable" for cauli -- before it hardens, and after it hardens. Before it hardens is a pain in the ass, involving draining the ear. After it hardens = surgery. And it seems to take only a few days to a week to harden. So the answer is you're probably already too late, and surgery is the only thing that will fix it.

It still feels like there's fluid in it when I play with it. One f my best friends is a nurse, I might just have him stick it and see what he can get out.

*edit*

Just drained it a few hours ago and it looks 10000x better. Going to rig up some sort of compression bandage for it tonight. Pulled a good amount out too! Will post pics. :icon_chee

Just iced it for a minute or two beforehand and then used an insulin needle. Went in from the bottom, hit the main pocket and then moved it around a bit to get what ever else. Didn't hurt much, but I could feel it some. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, and the result makes me very happy!

Before - cell phone pic, but gives you an idea.

2cia7g0.jpg

After w/ what came out.

z7hac.jpg

I just got my syringes in the mail. Sucks that I had to order a hundred of them, but that's all I could get. You can't just buy them in the store here. Oh well, they were only $15. I think it's been too long though to drain it. I'll have to wait till next time, maybe.

It is when the cartilage in your ear gets bruised. And what happen is that when that bruise is their fluid gets rushed to that part of the ear making the puffed out look we all know and love. If you leave it without getting it fixed it will become hard. That should never happen because you have to do is go it drained. All they will do is stick a needle in the ear and drain the fluid. It should not a be a big deal for a fighter.

i had this like a year ago

hurts for short amounts of time occasionally when rubbed

i think its just a bit of damaged or broken cartilage. healed up fine, generally doesnt hurt at all anymore and no signs of cauliflower yet here

i have had the same thing a lot of times..

thought i'd share my cauli story...

wednesday night i forgot my headgear, and it just so happens that very night was my first ever experience with a puffy, blood filled sac
not to say my ears looked great to begin with, from the start until now they've gotten abit bigger, but this was a pretty big blood sac on my ear
today i waited 6 hours to get it drained, only to have the doctor tell me she would not bolster it and i needed a plastic surgeon for that
now, it went from a normalish ear with a blood sac to a mangled up ear that appears to be refilling... it may just be swollen from after the draining, but it looks much worse and is covering a larger area than before...

has anyone had the same experience? is it just swollen from the draining, or is it just going to be worse?

go to your GP and ask to be referred to an otolaryngologist (ENT), my spelling is probably wrong.

i need to do that for sure, this morning when i woke up the blood sac refilled like it was before having it drained AND the surrounding cauliflower looks flat (it used to be very defined)

What type of syringe should I use and how can I buy one? Is this something I can get by just walking into my local drug store or will they think I'm some kind of junkie?

Depends on your country, state, county, city, etc... Some areas have made it illegal to deny somebody (over 18) who asks for a syringe. Other areas have not passed such laws. I have used fine insulin syringes, but I am sure other syringes will do.

What type of syringe should I use and how can I buy one? Is this something I can get by just walking into my local drug store or will they think I'm some kind of junkie?

Just tell them you're going to drain your ear. I'm sure they get people that need STD cream and anal lube all the time, so I doubt you have a need to be embarrassed.

they will think youre a junkie, but thats none of their business. if they ask what the needles for, tell them.

Depends on your country, state, county, city, etc... Some areas have made it illegal to deny somebody (over 18) who asks for a syringe. Other areas have not passed such laws. I have used fine insulin syringes, but I am sure other syringes will do.

Thanks. I'm gonna head over to Walgreens and try and get one.

Once I drain it am I more likely to have to drain it over and over or should that area heal for a while?

Also am I more likely to get more fluid and a bigger lump if I drain it or am I more likely to get more fluid if I don't drain it?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks. I'm gonna head over to Walgreens and try and get one.

Once I drain it am I more likely to have to drain it over and over or should that area heal for a while?

Also am I more likely to get more fluid and a bigger lump if I drain it or am I more likely to get more fluid if I don't drain it?

Thanks for the help.

In Florida you can't get a syringe without a Doctor's note in Dade and Broward Counties.

I drained mine about 5 times but it kept coming back and I can't take time off training so I just accepted it.

u do NOT want any type of velcro headgear unless ur washing it like a motherfucker everyday, all that dirt and sweat gets trapped in there and well rub on ur head/forehead constatly, we lost 3 kids on my wrestling team this year from impetigo

n5551243.jpg

Back