The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

Fuck.... Not sure if it's cauliflower but im starting to notice just a small kind of " bump " in my ear... Not that noticeable , but i can feel it when i touch it.

Fuck.... Not sure if it's cauliflower but im starting to notice just a small kind of " bump " in my ear... Not that noticeable , but i can feel it when i touch it.

I'm in sort of a similar situation. My ear has been sore in one spot for a few weeks now but it hasn't swelled up. I'm assuming if it's not swelling then it's not cauliflower. Anyone else run into this before?

My ear got swollen up a little, is it a bruised ear or small cauliflower?

just went to the docs he said its a bruise, but I'd like a second opinion because I don't know if he's familiar with this lol

here is mine, and a little impromptu drain video I made

It is a little gross, so you've been warned.

480888_554855181205637_1524333612_n.jpg

when your ear blows up and swells, there is no mistaking that you are experiencing cauliflower ear.

the swelling on mine eventually went down and the fluid hardened, but now it looks like a normal ear for the most part except for you can see exactly where my ear broke and it is just thicker and you can't bend it at all.

First of all, Hello Sherdog as this is my first post =)

Had my first cauli a week ago, and I've had problems with sufficient compression after the draining. Now I have a nice working, and not too annoying.

Since the cauli-blister was in the lower cavity of the ear i packed it full of stiff ear plugs (the type you use when you want to protect your hearing) placed a cartboard as a lid over the ear and sealed it shut.

This is my third day wearing it since the draining. Minimal refill when I checked today.

I've had it twice so far and have a pretty good system down. I first drain it with one of those small needles thee use to give insulin to pets. Then for the compression part I bught a few rare earth magnets. They only cost a few cents online and you can get a few different thicknesses and sizes to control the area and the amount of pressure. It's the only thing that I've used that doesn't hurt after an hour. I just leave magnets on for a couple days and I'm good to go. I've used this method both times and you can't even tell I've had cauliflower ear.

Hope this helps someone.....good luck.

I've been doing bjj for a little over 4 months now going consistently about 4 times a week. I've started to develop a fat little blood sac of cauliflower on my left ear from all the low guard passing and friction rubbing against peoples' gis.

Luckily my mom is a nurse so shes got a bunch of syringes at home that she used to bring home to give my grandma insulin shots. She has drained my ear a little over 10 times now but it just keeps refilling with blood.

I realized that part of the reason the blood keeps refilling is because I didn't compress it at all after it was drained. Is there an effective way to compress the ear without actually just pinching it tight with my hand? I tried to rig a makeshift compression bandage using some gauze, tape, and cotton balls but I couldn't MacGyver a way to make it hold solid pressure on my ear. Are there any tips you guys could point out on how you make the compression bandage hold to your ear so it maintains that pressure?

I have cauliflower ear. About 20 days in.. during these 20 days I've had it drained twice by hospital medics. It came back.

7 days ago I did surgery and had it bolstered. 2 days ago the stitches came out. within 1 day, the liquid came back.

What are my next steps?

I can't wear this because I'm an actor. My ear is not deformed but just parts are full of liquid. Do you think I can save my ear?

Thansk guys

Stop doing BJJ and just let it rest for a week or two. You'd think that would be obvious.

Cauli ear is a weird phenomenon. I've seen guys train for a month and develop a nasty cauli. I've been training for years and haven't gotten anything thankfully.

Cauli is always a possibility while training. Fortunately I have not gotten it (knock on wood) but for the life of me i cannot understand those of you who want it or are excited about it

To each their own, i guess. Grapple hard gang!! :)

I signed up to discuss this with other people who might have similar injuries.

Does anyone struggle with confidence with having cauliflower ear? I want to add that I didn't get mine from doing contact sports or from fighting.

here is mine, and a little impromptu drain video I made

It is a little gross, so you've been warned.

I'd like to know how you got on with this. I know it's a long time ago but what does your ear look like now?

I'll post pics of mine if anyone wants. The left ear is not too bad, the right ear is horrendous.

I'm noticing that too. It looks nothing like the massive swellings people get, so I'm not sure if it's a mini version of cauliflower or some other type of wear and tear. If I touch inside the upper section of my left ear lob there's a hard bump though.

I'm noticing that too. It looks nothing like the massive swellings people get, so I'm not sure if it's a mini version of cauliflower or some other type of wear and tear. If I touch inside the upper section of my left ear lob there's a hard bump though.

You'll know if it's cauli. You can feel the fluid moving around in like a pocket of skin on your ear.

Back