THE DARK TOWER TV Series (GoT Bronn Actor Joins Cast)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: August 3, 2017

THE DARK TOWER TV Series Sets WALKING DEAD's Glen Mazzara as Showrunner

UUDtEpE.png

As the long-awaited feature film take on The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step. A network is not yet attached.

Sources tell THR that it is being eyed for a short-order (between 10 and 13 episodes) and a home on cable or streaming outlets by producers Media Rights Capital and Sony Pictures Television. Production is eyed to begin in 2018, though nothing is locked in given all the variables.

"I’ve been a Stephen King fan for decades and the opportunity to adapt The Dark Tower as a TV series is a great honor," Mazzara tells THR. "The events of The Gunslinger, Wizard & Glass, The Wind Through the Keyhole, and other tales need a long format to capture the complexity of Roland's coming of age — how he became the Gunslinger, how Walter became the Man in Black, and how their rivalry cost Roland everything and everyone he ever loved. I could not be more excited to tell this story. It feels like being given the key to a treasure chest. And oh yeah, we’ll have billy-bumblers!"

The feature film, which opens Friday and is already generating mixed reviews, is considered to be independent from the TV series — though there is some overlap. Slated to appear in the series are Idris Elba, who stars as Roland Deschain (aka the Gunslinger); Dennis Haysbert (as Roland's father, Steven Deschain); and young star Tom Taylor (Jake Chambers, the son-like figure to the Gunslinger). The potential TV series will revolve around a younger Roland and his group — with those roles currently uncast.

The TV entry will be based on Wizard in Glass, the fourth book in The Dark Tower series. While insiders do not see the potential TV series as a prequel, an origin story is more appropriate to describe the vision for the project.

Akiva Goldsman — who was originally slated to pen the script when the TV series was set up at Universal — is attached to exec produce alongside his Weed Road Pictures president of production Gregory Lessans. Imagine TV's Ron Howard and Brian Grazer are also on board as exec producers. Feature film director Nikolaj Arcel and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen are collaborating on the script. Mazzara will oversee day-to-day operations on the ambitious project.

Mazzara was The Walking Dead's second showrunner, coming in to replace Frank Darabont on the AMC zombie drama. His TV credits include A&E's Damien as well as Crash, The Shield and Life.

'The Dark Tower' TV Series Sets 'Walking Dead' Grad as Showrunner (Exclusive)

Idris Elba is my surrogate father. Ever since Pacific Rim.

Update: August 3, 2017

THE DARK TOWER TV Series Sets WALKING DEAD's Glen Mazzara as Showrunner

UUDtEpE.png

As the long-awaited feature film take on The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step. A network is not yet attached.

Sources tell THR that it is being eyed for a short-order (between 10 and 13 episodes) and a home on cable or streaming outlets by producers Media Rights Capital and Sony Pictures Television. Production is eyed to begin in 2018, though nothing is locked in given all the variables.

"I’ve been a Stephen King fan for decades and the opportunity to adapt The Dark Tower as a TV series is a great honor," Mazzara tells THR. "The events of The Gunslinger, Wizard & Glass, The Wind Through the Keyhole, and other tales need a long format to capture the complexity of Roland's coming of age — how he became the Gunslinger, how Walter became the Man in Black, and how their rivalry cost Roland everything and everyone he ever loved. I could not be more excited to tell this story. It feels like being given the key to a treasure chest. And oh yeah, we’ll have billy-bumblers!"

The feature film, which opens Friday and is already generating mixed reviews, is considered to be independent from the TV series — though there is some overlap. Slated to appear in the series are Idris Elba, who stars as Roland Deschain (aka the Gunslinger); Dennis Haysbert (as Roland's father, Steven Deschain); and young star Tom Taylor (Jake Chambers, the son-like figure to the Gunslinger). The potential TV series will revolve around a younger Roland and his group — with those roles currently uncast.

The TV entry will be based on Wizard in Glass, the fourth book in The Dark Tower series. While insiders do not see the potential TV series as a prequel, an origin story is more appropriate to describe the vision for the project.

Akiva Goldsman — who was originally slated to pen the script when the TV series was set up at Universal — is attached to exec produce alongside his Weed Road Pictures president of production Gregory Lessans. Imagine TV's Ron Howard and Brian Grazer are also on board as exec producers. Feature film director Nikolaj Arcel and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen are collaborating on the script. Mazzara will oversee day-to-day operations on the ambitious project.

Mazzara was The Walking Dead's second showrunner, coming in to replace Frank Darabont on the AMC zombie drama. His TV credits include A&E's Damien as well as Crash, The Shield and Life.

'The Dark Tower' TV Series Sets 'Walking Dead' Grad as Showrunner (Exclusive)

Christalmighty.. as if it couldn't get any worse. They go and grab someone from The Walking Shitfest lol

Turribleness confirmed

<1>

The Walking Dead showrunner is in on this?

So what they're saying is all I need to watch are the season openers, mid-season finales, and season finales with this show...

Update: February 23, 2018

THE DARK TOWER TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

The film adaptation may have been a dud, but the Dark Tower TV series is moving forward, and it’s found a home. Amazon has picked up the rights to the series, along with a slew of other titles, in their quest to beat Netflix with original streaming content.

After the big screen adaptation of Stephen King‘s The Dark Tower bombed at the box office and was met with almost universal scorn, I was certain the rumored Dark Tower TV series was dead. But The Dark Tower lives, and it’s found a home at Amazon. Per Deadline, Amazon is moving full-steam-ahead on snapping up sci-fi and fantasy novels to turn them into an original series.

We’ve already learned about Amazon’s huge Lord of the Rings TV series deal. In addition to that, they’ve nabbed the rights to Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi Culture book series, Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, Neal Stephenson’s Snowcrash, and, yes – Stephen King’s Dark Tower.

Turning The Dark Tower into a TV series makes a lot more sense than a film. The books are loaded with rich, complex mythology that is better served serialized. If done right, this could be the next Game of Thrones – something Amazon is desperate to make happen. Part of the reported reason they threw a ton of cash at the Lord of the Rings series was because Amazon founder Jeff Bezos wanted Amazon to have their own Thrones.

There are no further details on the Amazon series, but it was reported that former The Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara was hired as the showrunner. Before The Dark Tower hit theaters, director Nikolaj Arcel revealed he wrote part of the pilot episode, and claimed the series would be much more canonical than the film. He also said it would serve as a prequel

‘The Dark Tower’ TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

They should just do Wizards and Glass

Who will star in this? And I thought the movie concluded everything.

If done correctly it could be greatness. The best book series i have ever read... a dark and sad story

I read like the first 3 books and they were awful, why do people like this shit?

After the shit movie I have no faith in this.

Update: February 23, 2018

THE DARK TOWER TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

The film adaptation may have been a dud, but the Dark Tower TV series is moving forward, and it’s found a home. Amazon has picked up the rights to the series, along with a slew of other titles, in their quest to beat Netflix with original streaming content.

After the big screen adaptation of Stephen King‘s The Dark Tower bombed at the box office and was met with almost universal scorn, I was certain the rumored Dark Tower TV series was dead. But The Dark Tower lives, and it’s found a home at Amazon. Per Deadline, Amazon is moving full-steam-ahead on snapping up sci-fi and fantasy novels to turn them into an original series.

We’ve already learned about Amazon’s huge Lord of the Rings TV series deal. In addition to that, they’ve nabbed the rights to Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi Culture book series, Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, Neal Stephenson’s Snowcrash, and, yes – Stephen King’s Dark Tower.

Turning The Dark Tower into a TV series makes a lot more sense than a film. The books are loaded with rich, complex mythology that is better served serialized. If done right, this could be the next Game of Thrones – something Amazon is desperate to make happen. Part of the reported reason they threw a ton of cash at the Lord of the Rings series was because Amazon founder Jeff Bezos wanted Amazon to have their own Thrones.

There are no further details on the Amazon series, but it was reported that former The Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara was hired as the showrunner. Before The Dark Tower hit theaters, director Nikolaj Arcel revealed he wrote part of the pilot episode, and claimed the series would be much more canonical than the film. He also said it would serve as a prequel

‘The Dark Tower’ TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

IF theyre disregarding the movie and starting from scratch, I could get excited.

Update: March 21, 2019

Sam Strike and Jasper Paakkonen to Star in Amazon's THE DARK TOWER TV Series

wXfB2qW.jpg

Amazon's Dark Tower adaptation has found its two leads. Sam Strike and Jasper Paakkonen will star in the project based on Stephen King's novel, which has been in development since 2017 and at Amazon for nearly a year. With the two leads set, a formal pilot order is likely to follow.

Strike (Nightflyers) is set to play Roland Deschain, aka the Gunslinger, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Paakkonen (BlacKKKlansman, Vikings) will play Roland's adversary, the Man in Black, also known as Randall Flagg and Walter O'Dim (among other names).

The Media Rights Capital-produced series was initially intended to dovetail with the 2017 film adaptation of The Dark Tower, which starred Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black. Since then, however, it was decided that the series will stand on its own as a more faithful adaptation of the sprawling world King created across several books.

The Walking Dead veteran Glen Mazzara will serve as showrunner for the series. "I've been a Stephen King fan for decades, and the opportunity to adapt The Dark Tower as a TV series is a great honor," he told THR in 2017. "The events of The Gunslinger, Wizard and Glass, The Wind Through the Keyhole and other tales need a long format to capture the complexity of Roland's coming of age — how he became the Gunslinger, how Walter became the Man in Black, and how their rivalry cost Roland everything and everyone he ever loved. I could not be more excited to tell this story."

The Dark Tower is one of several ambitious series Amazon has in development, including a Lord of the Rings adaptation and a global event series helmed by Avengers: Endgame directors the Russo brothers. The streamer has also signed deals with the likes of Jordan Peele, Nicole Kidman and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel producers Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino.

Amazon's 'The Dark Tower' TV Series Adaptation Casts Sam Strike and Jasper Paakkonen in the Lead Roles

They shouldve gave in to whatver Ron Howard wanted.
(3 movies, with a tie in TV series between each movie)
Instead we got... what we got
Hopefully this is better

They shouldve gave in to whatver Ron Howard wanted.
(3 movies, with a tie in TV series between each movie)
Instead we got... what we got
Hopefully this is better
having gone in without reading the series, it was simply not good. Too much crammed into one movie.
They should've at least had as options if the first movie did good.

That's because they combined multiple books and added shit that didn't happen
having gone in without reading the series, it was simply not good. Too much crammed into one movie.
They should've at least had as options if the first movie did good.

You're insane and/or have terrible taste in fiction. Those books are fantastic and a shit load of people agree. The 4th book is one of the best books I've ever read.
I read like the first 3 books and they were awful, why do people like this shit?

Back