The Dark Knight Trilogy vs Captain America Trilogy

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Moretti, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Favorite Trilogy

1. Dark Knight

2. Captain America

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Moretti

Moretti Silver Belt

[​IMG]

Batman Begins - 8.3/10 IMDb
    The Dark Knight - 9/10 IMDb
    The Dark Knight Rises - 8.4/10 IMDb

[​IMG]

The First Avenger - 6.9/10 IMDb
    The Winter Soldier - 7.8/10 IMDb
    Civil War - 7.8/10 IMDb

[​IMG]

Dark knight trilogy for me but Civil War is one of my favorite MCU films

HomerThompson and ufcfan4 like this.
  2. fonzob1

fonzob1 Red Belt

The two best origin stories in all of comic book films. Both are great, but DK wins.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    usmctanker242 and HomerThompson like this.
  3. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I haven't seen any of the Capt Murica films, but I didn't rate Nolan's trilogy that much (tbf I skipped TDKR completely)

Just came in to throw shade at the Nolan trilogy like some asshole hipster

4. HatchetHarry

HatchetHarry Yellow Card Yellow Card

Winter Soldier and Civil War were fucking awful. Dark Knight Rises was equally bad.

Batman wins easy

Big Brown Clown and D3THRONED like this.
  5. revoltub

revoltub blackwater Belt

Tough AF but I went with captain America. Each film was great.

The Dark Knight Rises was a big drop off from TDK and batman begins.

6. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Dark Knight trilogy.

But the Cap films are friggin awesome.

My only thing is that I feel all three Nolan Batman movies are superior to The First Avenger. It was a frustrating movie to me. Absolutely awesome first hour and fifteen or so and then a significant dropoff.

HomerThompson likes this.
  7. Moretti

Moretti Silver Belt

[​IMG]

8. Moretti

Moretti Silver Belt

How would you rank all of the movies?

For my taste I prefer

Dark knight
    Civil war
    Rises
    Begins
    Winter soldier
    First avenger

I really need to watch winter soldier again because that might #4 for me

ufcfan4 likes this.
  9. ufcfan4

Nice list!

It's tough because Dark Knight Rises is one of those movies that I really thought (and still think) was awesome, but I haven't watched it in years and see people's criticisms of it as valid. At the same time I think that some films that similarly stretch credibility are given a free pass but that one gets really maligned.

I think I'd go:

The Dark Knight
    Civil War
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Winter Soldier
    Batman Begins
    First Avenger

Moretti likes this.
  10. AJ Garcia

AJ Garcia Professional Fighter Professional Fighter

TDKR was awesome but I think people didn’t like it as much because TDK was so good it was hard to top. Never been a big fan of captain. He’s too much of a Boy Scout.

ToxicShocker and Pseudo Sane like this.
  11. ObsoleteSoul

ObsoleteSoul Silver Belt

Managing at the "No Hassle Nipple Tassel Castle"
    On one hand, Cap had CW, which I loved. On the other, FA was so damn bad. Soooo damn bad.

Batman wins

12. Hidden_Hand

Hidden_Hand Purple Belt

Dark Knight trilogy wins here and wins big aswell.

Batman Begins is arguably the best origin story for any superhero movie ever made.
    The Dark Knight is THE consensus greatest super hero movie ever made, ever will be made, it redefined the comic book movie genre and will live on forever.
    The Dark Knight Rises is the one that slips but it's still a great movie just not on the level of the first two.

Captain America is nigh unwatchable, it's beyond boring and shit.
    Winter Soldier is great and one of Marvels best.
    Civil War is also amazing and one of the high points.

TDKR is much better than Captain America 1

Nolans master class in directing, depth of story and ways of getting actors to channel emotions are near unrivaled in film making, we got a true master creating a trilogy of comic book movies and it speaks for itself, CA really brings nothing to the table in this fight.

Hans Zimmer' score for the trilogy is stuff of gods aswell, a soundtrack rivaled by hardly any.

Heath Ledgers Joker is arguably the greatest performance ever seen on screen and will go on to be celebrated for hundreds of years, no doubt in my mind at all.

Nolans work cracked the BILLIONS before it was the it thing to do, he set the bar for all others and it's remarkable how he has by far the best effects of any super hero and he doesn't use CGI.

On this day, Marvel well and truly gets on its knees but that is no shame to have.

Also the scores on IMDB tell the picture perfectly, the two are not even in the same league as one another quite frankly.

The Lord of the Rings is still the greatest Trilogy ever created and ever will be created, however.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Vergilius likes this.
  13. horc00

horc00 Blue Belt

Action:
    Most action in DKT revolves around car chases and Batman fighting henchmen. CAT has all of that and also vastly superior hero vs villain and hero vs hero fights.
    Result: CAT > DKT

Plot:
    DKT is about the Joker and Bane. It tries too hard to be "serious" and shoves their attempt at being "philosophical" too far down the throat that it results in a plethora of ridiculous moments and gaping plotholes which are made even more glaring given the seriousness of the plots. Batman is cheesy as hell compared to his villains.
    CAT is about Cap America (and Iron Man in the last one). Decent plots. Good humour. Also has its philosophical moments in Civil War but not overly done. Overall a good balance between fun and seriousness.
    Result: CAT > DKT

Acting:
    Joker >>> Entire CA cast >>> Batman
    Result: DKT > CAT (credit goes to Heath Ledger and Tom Hardy though)

Butts:
    Anne Hathaway vs Scarlett Jo.
    Result: Draw

Conclusion:
    I was always a Batman fan. He's the only DC character I enjoyed. DKT was entertaining for me but mainly because of the villains. Heath Ledger's Joker was awesome. Tom Hardy's Bane was pretty good too. They were the stars of the movie based on their acting alone. Otherwise Batman and the plots were meh.
    On the other hand, I was never a Cap fan. IMO one of the cheesiest Marvel characters. But the movies made me a fan.
    Result: CAT wins

TheSlothMan likes this.
  14. Moretti

Moretti Silver Belt

Honestly, I enjoyed Rises more than Dark Knight when I watched it in the theatre. I loved every second of it. It was a perfect closure for the Trilogy imo.

Now I understand it has some flaws like Batman escaping the pit in the desert than appearing in Gotham defying all logic since he had nothing to get him home and no one knew he was there. But it doesn’t ruin the movie for me.

The cast is great especially Michael Caine who brings out a lot of the emotions for me.

I even liked Banes weird robotic voice. It gets a lot of hate on here but it’s definitely in my top 10 super hero movies.

I’ve only watched first avenger once but I remembered being bored through out most of the film.

15. RayA

RayA Purple Belt

I can't find the two comparable. It's not a true trilogy, as Cap's movies heavily rely on material outside of his own series. Captain America movies are nonsense when you watch them straight through by themselves.

Big Brown Clown likes this.
  16. Brother Numsi

Brother Numsi Purple Belt

Batman Begins vs First Avenger: Batman Begins

The Dark Knight vs Winter Soldier: The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises vs Civil War: Civil War

The Nolan Trilogy wins 2 to 1. The Dark Knight was a masterpiece and arguably the greatest 'comic' movie of all time. Winter Soldier was so damn good though and a Top 5 Marvel movie in my opinion. I really liked the TDKR but Civil War was pretty damn epic. Captain America has the best trilogy of all the Marvel movies though.

HomerThompson likes this.
  17. ufcfan4

Caine and Bale- that scene where Caine tries to wake him up by telling him the truth about Rachel's note, that's some seriously good acting from both guys.

That said, I also think of these two- pretty damn funny...

Yeah The Dark Knight rises is very well executed and engrossing entertainment in my opinion. A lot of memorable scenes and Hardy definitely does steal every moment he is onscreen. That performance cannot be discounted in any way, shape or form. If you want evidence of someone doing masterful acting with their eyes- that's a core example. The voice was cool too. I never had a single problem with it. I thought it was unusual and memorable. Definitely stood out.

The sewer fight with Batman is, in my opinion, the best scene in that film. And I remember people complaining, "why are they only winging haymakers at one another?" "Isn't Batman supposed to be a technically skilled fighter?" "Nolan can't film action." But my thought was always- you gotta appreciate that scene more from just the atmosphere and the tension, as well as the great dialogue and intensity from Hardy. So many memorable lines during that one segment. "Ohh you think the darkness is your ally. But you've merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man, by then it was just BLINDING" and grabs Batman by the throat right when he says that last word. Perfect.

I will also give the film credit with the way it diverts your attention from the obvious fact that Bane cannot be the child of Ras al Ghul. It's such a compellingly hyped element of the plot that you discount the fact that Bane outright says "he did not see the light until he was a man," yet we know that Ras al Ghul's offspring escaped as a child as per the story told to Bruce. Also, we know that Bane got his face fucked up in the prison but we see the child making the escape unmarked and unscarred in the flashback during the narration of the story.

Vergilius, HomerThompson and Moretti like this.
  18. Moretti

Moretti Silver Belt

I enjoyed both battles between Batman and Bane especially the conclusion to the second when Batman gets betrayed. I still remember gasping when it happened. I wasn’t too thrilled with cat woman being the one who kills Bane but considering it’s against Batman’s code, I grew accepting it.

I feel the need to watch this now.

19. SoberAwakening

SoberAwakening Black Belt

I know Winter Soldier is untouchable for a lot of fans, but I didn't really like it. Really liked First Avenger and Civil War was my favorite MCU movie before Infinity War came out.

TDK is still one of my all time favorite movies period. Not just superhero genre, but overall movies. I was deployed when TDR came out, so I missed the movie theater experience for that, so I like it, but it's kind of "eh" for me. Batman Begins is alright. I remember thinking it was definitely different than the cartoony Burton version of Batman.

Overall, I'll probably go with Batman.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  20. ufcfan4

I'd put Infinity War, Civil War, and Winter Soldier in the top 5 for MCU but I think WInter Soldier has the least rewatchability of the three. That being said, it has some of the best hand-to-hand combat action sequences in any superhero film I've seen and the story is quite involving.