The Counsellor (2013)

BisexualMMA

Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!
@Titanium
Reaction score
Wow, I think this has to be the worst film Ridley Scott has ever made, and this was accomplished with one of the best stables of actors assembled for one film in the last decade.

In the running for the most pretentious and masturbatory script ever written.

Rises to a 4.0 simply on the basis of Scott's ability to frame shots and Brad Pitt's role.

Anyone think more highly of this than I did? Probably difficult to think less of it...

Thanks for reminding me that Ridley Scott made this, asshole.

I liked when Cameron Diaz fucked the car's windshield.

this movie is shit, the characters you think have brains are complete retards and the retards are full on retards, the end, sorry for the spoilers

I liked when Cameron Diaz fucked the car's windshield.

haha Bardem stole the movie with his character's weirdness and that story. Pretty impressive as it showed me that Bardem can even be memorable in a lackluster film.

While I didn't hate it with the fervor you do, man, I think it's definitely subpar. Great cast is largely wasted. Unusual that Fassbender and Cruz, who are both very solid actors, had like an anti-chemistry with one another. Definitely has to be attributable to some of the most cringeworthy romantic banter between them. Top of my list in terms of the awkwardness of their interaction:

1- when he proposes to her. Cruz's hamming it up reaction to the ring. Very over the top and artificial.

2- when they are on the phone together and Fassbender very woodenly is like, "Is this phone sex?" What in the hell?

Diaz's pontificating femme fatale bull at the end was very underwhelming as well. Remember the end of No Country when TLJ is talking about the two dreams he had? Well, this was nothing like that. That was awesome and this is meandering, pseudophilosophical nonsense.

At least Pitt seemed like he was having a good time. Typical Pitt role. And I thought Fass, who was dull in the earlygoing mainly by nature of the character, did a better job toward the end, when terrible shit started happening to him and he was able to emote.

Should have been a master piece and was one I was super excited for. The cast is crazy.

The final product was literal horse shit but I loved how they killed Brad Pitt

Diaz's pontificating femme fatale bull at the end was very underwhelming as well. Remember the end of No Country when TLJ is talking about the two dreams he had? Well, this was nothing like that. That was awesome and this is meandering, pseudophilosophical nonsense.

At least Pitt seemed like he was having a good time. Typical Pitt role. And I thought Fass, who was dull in the earlygoing mainly by nature of the character, did a better job toward the end, when terrible shit started happening to him and he was able to emote.

That should be the caption on the DVD cover.

I actually liked Cruz's reaction to the proposal, but agree on all other points.

That should be the caption on the DVD cover.

I actually liked Cruz's reaction to the proposal, but agree on all other points.

On the plus side, right before I paid money to see it in a theater, I watched Lyoto notch an awesome head kick ko over Munoz. So the night wasn't a total wash.

I enjoy it.

It took about three times, tho.

Story is bleak and cruel but the look is rich and sumptuous, like a well-dressed version of THE ROAD -- and I think people may unknowingly dislike the disparity.

In the beginning Bruno Ganz is explaining how a good looking imperfection in a diamond makes the diamond more rare. Thus sought-after and, naturally, much much more than Fassbender intended to spend. We all know this is bullshit sales tactic but it spins an illusion that hooks Fassbender into buying both the manufactured reality and the flawed diamond that comes with it. Not to mention the debt that leads to his decision to fall in with Bardem and Pitt. Appropriately the flawed diamond -- intended to enhance the identity of its wearer -- is given to a woman who makes an inappropriate joke at her own proposal and though she immediately realizes her faux pas -- there it is. The flaw in an otherwise priceless beauty.

Or you can say her flaw was being over fighting weight during filming (being pregnant with Bardem's child).

What's a little maddening is that the film culminates with essentially a man in a room by himself. There's that feeling of "... is that it?"

Kind of like finding out that the value of diamonds is utterly fabricated; like, "All that fuss over ... nothing." McCarthy's modus operandi seems to largely hover on this commentary on how the world is a treacherous place and there's never anyone you can go to who won't suffer or profit because of you. And once you're dead it won't matter, because it never did to anyone but you. The world/Cartel will keep on keepin' on.

In film you want the juicy bits to build and crest, not deflate, so THE COUNSELOR is a little backwards.

I like to imagine Rihanna in the Cameron Diaz role.

Wow this is the second thread I've seen on here talking about how bad this movie is. Almost makes me curious enough to check it out.

Really? I thought it was a decent flick. I never understood the hate for it.

Back