The Cost of Pro-Life: US now has (by far) highest maternal death rate in developed world

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A week after the March for Life, pro-life ideologues continue to win the battle against pragmatism.

There is mounting evidence that it is not abortion, but the lack of access to abortion that is a deadly threat to women. This conclusion comes from careful state-by-state monitoring of maternal mortality, including deaths occurring at birth and around the time of birth. The less access to abortion, the greater the chance that women will die in childbirth or pregnancy.

Maternal mortality has long been considered a third world problem, almost unthinkable in a society, like ours, that spends $3.3tn a year on healthcare. So it was shocking, in the late 2000s, when public health researchers began to see an uptick in US maternal mortality, and to some even more shocking that the excess deaths were concentrated in the states imposing the highest number of restrictions on access to abortion.

Texas, for example, saw its maternal mortality rate more than double between 2010 and 2014, as the state closed more than half of its abortion clinics and severely cut funding for Planned Parenthood. Thanks to Texas and a few other states with strong “pro-life” lobbies, mostly in the south, the US now bears the ghastly distinction of having the highest maternal mortality rate of all the world’s wealthy democracies.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-call-the-pro-lifers-what-they-are-pro-death

propublica-mortality-rates.png

How about Ireland, some of the toughest abortion laws in the world yet their maternal death rate is lower than countries like the UK and Germany?

Was abortion ever considered a deadly threat to women?
I thought it was a threat to the unborn child?

NPR and ProPublica teamed up for a six-month long investigation on maternal mortality in the U.S. Among our key findings:

• More American women are dying of pregnancy-related complications than any other developed country. Only in the U.S. has the rate of women who die been rising.
  • There's a hodgepodge of hospital protocols for dealing with potentially fatal complications, allowing for treatable complications to become lethal.
  • Hospitals — including those with intensive care units for newborns — can be woefully unprepared for a maternal emergency.
  • Federal and state funding show only 6 percent of block grants for "maternal and child health" actually go to the health of mothers.
  • In the U.S, some doctors entering the growing specialty of maternal-fetal medicine were able to complete that training without ever spending time in a labor-delivery unit.
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/12/5280...ate-of-maternal-deaths-in-the-developed-world

NPR and ProPublica teamed up for a six-month long investigation on maternal mortality in the U.S. Among our key findings:

• More American women are dying of pregnancy-related complications than any other developed country. Only in the U.S. has the rate of women who die been rising.
  • There's a hodgepodge of hospital protocols for dealing with potentially fatal complications, allowing for treatable complications to become lethal.
  • Hospitals — including those with intensive care units for newborns — can be woefully unprepared for a maternal emergency.
  • Federal and state funding show only 6 percent of block grants for "maternal and child health" actually go to the health of mothers.
  • In the U.S, some doctors entering the growing specialty of maternal-fetal medicine were able to complete that training without ever spending time in a labor-delivery unit.
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/12/5280...ate-of-maternal-deaths-in-the-developed-world

Yeah, this was a component study of the article I cited. I opted not to include it, since asking readers to traverse one article is already dicey in starting a discussion here.

@Son of Jamin As far as Ireland, I don't know (much anything about Ireland).

Was abortion ever considered a deadly threat to women?

I had no idea what this was coming from until I reread the first line of the excerpt. Strange wording indeed.

Can’t have fetal complications if we abort all the babies

The logic is sound in this thread

I can't get behind supporting abortion on the basis that its needed to save a womans life... shouldnt she not have gotten pregnant in the first place?

How about Ireland, some of the toughest abortion laws in the world yet their maternal death rate is lower than countries like the UK and Germany?
Abortion is also illegal in Iran (unless the mother's life is in danger)

"Increases were extremely rare among rich countries. In all, 24 countries had one from 2000 to 2015, including South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, though their rates were much higher. America’s increase put it above a number of poorer countries whose rates had declined with the global trend, including Iran, Vietnam, Russia and Romania."
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/health/maternal-mortality.html

Edit: Does anybody have an abortion rate statistic for the US. I see abortion per capita, but not abortions as a percentage of reported pregnancies. Romania and Vietnam are approaching 50% of reported pregnancies being aborted.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/abortion-rate-in-vietnam-highest-in-asia-3476746.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Romania

Last edited:
I guess forcing women to carry the fetus to term is going to have underlying psychological issues?
I can't imagine a women that is forced by the goverment to unwilling carry something in her body for up to 9 months.
is going to take care of herself the way expecting mothers should? And you also have the psychological issues.

I am not sure if that explains the large number but I guess its a factor?

I can't get behind supporting abortion on the basis that its needed to save a womans life... shouldnt she not have gotten pregnant in the first place?

Holy fucking bootstraps batman, is this really what you are trying to say?

Shouldn't the dude have not tried to kill her by getting her pregnant in the first place?

More seriously, when people say shouldn't she have not gotten pregnant, I always wonder why people don't say "Shouldn't he had not gotten her pregnant?" I've always wondered about that because technically, the dude could have pulled out, put on a rubber, etc. Just seems weird to always phrase it as the woman's failing when the dude is far better positioned to prevent the pregnancy.

My pull out game was Olympic level for that very reason.

Shouldn't the dude have not tried to kill her by getting her pregnant in the first place?

More seriously, when people say shouldn't she have not gotten pregnant, I always wonder why people don't say "Shouldn't he had not gotten her pregnant?" I've always wondered about that because technically, the dude could have pulled out, put on a rubber, etc. Just seems weird to always phrase it as the woman's failing when the dude is far better positioned to prevent the pregnancy.

Obviously It goes both ways

Not really. .
If she's willing to have unprotected sex that is mostly on her.
She can either use contraception or decline sex until her partner does.
Pulling out isn't a panacea for unwanted pregnancy. Its rare, but still possible.

Well, the law certainly thinks that way because they are going to make you pay for it :).
Rightfully so I might add.
But what I would like to see is strengthens right for a father that wants to be in the children's life or maybe have custody etc.
I mean unless you are a deadbeat loser that doesn't work. They are going to make you pay for getting her pregnant.

A huge number of women don't even get prenatal care because they want their drug use to go undetected.

Dont you guys have people who excuse your imperialist wars but you cannot forgive a pregnancy? Anti choice is really weird. It is either Islamic or just ignorance often without compassion. And to think some people even against abortion in case of rape.

Back