Basic Cable Package (ESPN, FS1, CBSN) - $70-$80
ESPN+ - $5
HBO - $15
Showtime - $11
Epix - $10
DAZN - "less than $200 a year" (costs $20 in Canada), so probably $15

So it costs $130 a month to watch major "free" boxing content

and around $1,700 a year with 2 PPVs

UFC going the same way. They wonder why piracy is so popular...

I thought this was a Mastercard commercial.

Leaving disappointed.

When streaming takes over which will be around 3-5 years it will just be ESPN+ and DAZN. So around $20-$25 a month.

Broadcast TV (Fox, Bounce, ABC, CBS) - Free
Basic Cable Package (ESPN, FS1, CBSN) - $70-$80
ESPN+ - $5
HBO - $15
Showtime - $11
Epix - $10
DAZN - "less than $200 a year" (costs $20 in Canada), so probably $15

So it costs $130 a month to watch major "free" boxing content

and around $1,700 a year with 2 PPVs
That 1700 investment a year gets you more than boxing. The question is , is the small investment of 1700 worth the value of the entertainment?

How good is the DAZN lineup? If it’s decent I might cancel Spotify and my Sam Harris and pay for it.

How good is the DAZN lineup? If it’s decent I might cancel Spotify and my Sam Harris and pay for it.
Thats what I was about to ask. I have to say that I'm pretty unimpressed with ESPN+. There is not as much boxing on there as they claimed. There's the live events and then like interviews with the fighters and that about it.

Thats what I was about to ask. I have to say that I'm pretty unimpressed with ESPN+. There is not as much boxing on there as they claimed. There's the live events and then like interviews with the fighters and that about it.
I’m mainly interested in boxing and mma. DAZN will apparently be showcasing the WBSS, Eddie Hearn promoted cards and Bellator. I even read today about Joshua vs Povetkin being on it in September, which would be enough for me to get it for one month at least.

For $4.99 a month, you get to see Loma and Crawford fight at least once a year on there in addition to other cards.

Thats 1/3rd of the HBO price and HBO doesnt put out much boxing anymore.

For $4.99 a month, you get to see Loma and Crawford fight at least once a year on there in addition to other cards.

Thats 1/3rd of the HBO price and HBO doesnt put out much boxing anymore.
I guess I don't think this is such a great deal.

That's in no way chump change...

I wish I had the luxury though. Things are better in the UK, but in mainland Europe it's often hard to legally watch & purchase boxing. It's just not on offer all the time where I live.

Here's hoping to a time when all these promoters say 'fuck off' to cable providers and copyrights bound to countries and just offer their stuff directly through the interwebz. I wouldn't even have cable anymore if it wasn't for some shit I can't get around ...

Back