The complicated legacy of Johnny Hendricks

Show me 3 clear rounds that Hendricks won agaisnt GSP. Not "GSP had more bruises at the end of the fight" but 3 rounds in which Hendricks clearly won.

At best Hendricks earned a draw but he never did enough to win that fight.

I agree with you actually. Watching the fight I remember thinking GSP would get the nod, but, I think the argument is Hendricks should have gotten a 10-8 in that fight, which would have made him the winner.

I wanted to see GSP one-sidedly whoop Hendricks just to prove stress-free GSP kicks his butt.

Poster boy for USADA. Not a more clear example of before and after. Went from a beast with one punch KO power to a bum who couldn't even make weight at 185.

KO'd by USADA.

I haven't seen a more obvious case of USADA flushing out a steroid user.

I just fucking wake up sweating in the middle the night and curse God

“Why god?!,! Why? Why didn’t you ever let the world see 71% Hendricks!!!?!?!”

GOAT eater and weight misser

McKenzie Dern and Darren Till are some great prospects in that category but they still have a long way to go before they reach king Johny "Big Rigg" Hendricks.

Screenshot_7_10_16__5_45_PM.jpeg
All things considered....he looks pretty good there

I agree with you actually. Watching the fight I remember thinking GSP would get the nod, but, I think the argument is Hendricks should have gotten a 10-8 in that fight, which would have made him the winner.

Really the only argument is that Hendricks won round 1. If you give him the nod in what is almost universally thought of as a tight round, then you give him the win because the other rounds were all clearly delineated.

Hendricks won round 2 and 4, GSP won 3 and 5. Your choice of winner depends on how you scored round 1 and because it was a close round, the issue is in doubt. I personally think Hendricks did enough to make the case for the round because when GSP would clinch up with him, Hendricks would land these vicious knees to his legs as a way to counteract the clinch and it seemed really effective. That said, I had absolutely no issue with GSP taking the round because of the takedown, the sub attempt, and some effective striking throughout. It was a close one, but on subsequent views I thought GSP 1, 3, 5 was a quite valid way to assess the fight.

There was no case for a 10-8 particularly by the old standard of judging a 10-8. Hendricks won round 2 but 2 is the round that gets most blown out of proportion of any round in that fight. I consistently hear things like Hendricks almost stopped him. It's such hyperbole. The fact is Hendricks clipped GSP with a good combination and visibly wobbled him. That's it. No knockdown. No subsequent ground and pound. No ref saying, "Georges, fight back." It was a moment of being visibly rocked and then quickly recovering and getting back into the fight.

The intriguing thing too is that GSP starts to take over the latter half of that round. Of course Hendricks' damage was by far the most effective offense of the round and he therefore obviously deserved the nod but some people will construe that one like it was Edgar vs. Gray II round 1 and it couldn't be further. GSP got stumbled and then recovered and did well for himself. Johny landed some vicious shots but did not come close to closing the deal in that round.

Hendricks' best round is actually round 4 where he gets GSP on his back and surprisingly manages to keep him there and ground and pound him for the remainder of the round. How many people can say they've taken GSP down? Even fewer have kept him there for a prolonged period of a round.

Cain has won a single fight since 2013

Goddamn that makes me sad.

Despite the fact that he was champ, Cain may go down as the biggest waste of potential in UFC history. Could've been the the HW Goat if he'd stayed injury free.

Not a fan of his. So his retirement is no big deal for me.

Aint no one done that to GSP before or since.

Cos USADA done came in like: HEY YO,your career is done,chico.

scott-hall-o.gif

Rigg has become another cautionary tale of the fight game-----he rose so quick and his fall was harder.He made alot of cabbage but lost a restaurant but I'm sure hes put his cabbage in the proper outlets

Well, over the 15 rounds of championship fights he had, he was only two points away from walking out of the second Lawler fight has the WW champ on his second consecutive defense. But yeah, it's also hard to ignore that he went 1-5 and missed weight three times (four if you count pulling out against Woodley because of a failed cut) since USADA started.

I'm curious about his financial situation, didn't he have an unusual partnership.with his gym/management where he had a salary? Curious how that worked out for him in the long run if I'm remembering correctly.

He seemed to let himself be defined by the GSP loss and even after he won the ww belt.

And he didnt do anything of not in round 5 of the gsp fight so i will never feel sympathy for him.

Fighter Lawer just shortens your career.

His decline has been depressing and he was definitely a really good fighter at some point, however, I can't say i've found him to be that special/interesting in his prime. A rather generic, heavy handed wrestler who alternated close decisions with KO's. WW was full of those at some point. He did surprise me in the gsp fight, though

Liked him till he kept giving excuses here and there..

Show me 3 clear rounds that Hendricks won agaisnt GSP. Not "GSP had more bruises at the end of the fight" but 3 rounds in which Hendricks clearly won.

At best Hendricks earned a draw but he never did enough to win that fight.

It's funny that the people that say GSP lost because he had more bruises don't say the same thing about Jones vs Gus.

GSP won that fight.

Well, his legacy will be that he beat (but lost) against GSP but then became the champ after beating Lawler. He will also be remembered for his epic decline from champ to mid-tier. Give it a couple of years and no one will remember Hendricks. He had a good career, but there are plenty of fighters that have had or are having a good career. In this day and age, there are also plenty of fighters that have been the champ in a division. I've never liked Hendricks but I'm happy for him that he is retiring as he seemingly never dedicated himself to remain in the top tier of the WW division.

Back