"The Colby Covington Farce" - video

Seems a bit biased.

I think his shtick is great, but he lacks the conviction to sell it. Regardless, it doesn't need to be sold. Why? Because fight fans want an asshole to hate, and because he keeps winning anyway. So, we've got a bad guy in big fights. That's all we need; we don't need him to be a good actor. Colby is clearly putting on an act. That what makes it so funny when men get angry at the things he says.

He has not lost yet (as a heel) so we haven't seen him turn off the act. I guarantee the moment he is authentic, a lot of his haters will warm up to him. Just like the fans who had to wait til TUF 17 to realize "Chael isn't such a bad guy." I don't need to see footage of Colby doubting himself in training or crying at a loved one's deathbed to know it happens. If that's what it takes to shed some new light on the guy, just imagine seeing it.

As for him not being a draw, you've got to give him some time. If he beats Woodley, he'll be fighting GSP, Nate, or Conor within 2 fights (assuming he wins them).

His style? He is more exciting than Chael, imo, but, yes, he's a grinder/wrestler. Objectively, that is one of the more boring styles out there. Maybe that's why he has started talking shit.

I have been watching mma religiously for 15 years. I'm a true fanatic. And I welcome his horseshit, as tacky as it may seem. It makes things more interesting. I don't want to act like he's the first guy to try this, but he's trying it anyway. Colby is going for it.

I don't need the drama; Aldo/Mendes got 2 PPV buys from me. When they were promoting their fights, I was probably thinking, "I wish Chad would just start talking shit, maybe say some shit about Brazil." He didn't, and I still loved their fights.

I just want the drama. I want every press conference and interview to be filled with insults. Colby/Woodley will open a lot of eyes. I really think, win or lose, he's gonna make WW great again.

mystic ul has already said this

Maybe, maybe not, it's still to early to tell. He only started to talk trash two fights ago.

These two points directly contradict each other - first, Colby is only "on" when he has a mic on his face or when he's tweeting, but then he's "on" 100% of the time? Make up your mind.

Furthermore, he hasn't lost yet since he developed his schtick, so we don't know how he'll react.

Shit thread.
100% of the time he is in an interview or tweeting

thats what he means...

In other words, everytime he is doing media he is on. When he is not, he is off. While others like conor and chael do have a few interviews where they let their guard down.

giphy.gif
Thread saved.

Seems a bit biased.

I think his shtick is great, but he lacks the conviction to sell it. Regardless, it doesn't need to be sold. Why? Because fight fans want an asshole to hate, and because he keeps winning anyway. So, we've got a bad guy in big fights. That's all we need; we don't need him to be a good actor. Colby is clearly putting on an act. That what makes it so funny when men get angry at the things he says.

He has not lost yet (as a heel) so we haven't seen him turn off the act. I guarantee the moment he is authentic, a lot of his haters will warm up to him. Just like the fans who had to wait til TUF 17 to realize "Chael isn't such a bad guy." I don't need to see footage of Colby doubting himself in training or crying at a loved one's deathbed to know it happens. If that's what it takes to shed some new light on the guy, just imagine seeing it.

As for him not being a draw, you've got to give him some time. If he beats Woodley, he'll be fighting GSP, Nate, or Conor within 2 fights (assuming he wins them).

His style? He is more exciting than Chael, imo, but, yes, he's a grinder/wrestler. Objectively, that is one of the more boring styles out there. Maybe that's why he has started talking shit.

I have been watching mma religiously for 15 years. I'm a true fanatic. And I welcome his horseshit, as tacky as it may seem. It makes things more interesting. I don't want to act like he's the first guy to try this, but he's trying it anyway. Colby is going for it.

I don't need the drama; Aldo/Mendes got 2 PPV buys from me. When they were promoting their fights, I was probably thinking, "I wish Chad would just start talking shit, maybe say some shit about Brazil." He didn't, and I still loved their fights.

I just want the drama. I want every press conference and interview to be filled with insults. Colby/Woodley will open a lot of eyes. I really think, win or lose, he's gonna make WW great again.
very good post

i dont agree 100% with it, but for the most part i do see what you are saying.

If his fighting style was exciting, or even interesting that might have put him over.

There's literally nothing interesting about his existence as a fighter other than him trying really hard to be interesting... I guess that counts.
Yep, plenty of guys in the ufc trying to be cheesy trash talkers, some of them with winning streaks, non of them will be stars at any point of their careers

He's not quick witted enough. Look at his exchanged with Bisping; Bisping owned him on the mic, because he's more intelligent and can come up with off-the-cuff responses faster. Colby was stumbling on his words, because when he doesn't have enough time to script a response, he's just not that clever.
My favorite was something like

Colby: “...isn’t that your king..? Isn’t that what you’re known for..?”

He fucking sucks on his feet. He had to hang up on the UFC podcast when Usman was on and had him backed into a corner.

Seems a bit biased.

Good stuff

You’re helping me view all this from a bit of a different angle

The video does a better job explaining this than my cliffs.

They do acknowledge the fact conor and chael are also a character, but not 100%. You can see a bit of their true persona as well. And also, they are better actors.

Its been said that colbys lines are written by someone else... and it really looks like it. He has great one liners, but when asked something out of the ordinary during an interview he kinda bugs out a big hahahah
He isnt that good improvising

he repeats all of his stuff over and over. It's sad. Just stick to fighting because he's not bad at that. He's not the most exciting, but, not everyone is. Doesn't mean he sucks as a fighter. But, he does suck on the mic.

MMAonpoint puts good content. I recommend their YouTube channel highly.

Back