The claim " It takes years to get ready for 12 rounds" Can somebody explain?

nobody fights at 100 percent for any amount of rounds, it's like comparing sprints to milers, a miler may or may not fluctuate his pace between all out sprints and a slower pace, but if a guy tried to go 100 percent all the way he'd fall flat on his face before the end. Sprints are different, short, intense. the incredible thing about manny in his prime was that he could throw at 100 percent so much of the time and never wear out, he's about as close as anyone has come to what we would think of as fighting at 100 percent all the time. It just doesn't happen, Ali, in an interview after the first liston fight stated that he slowed down for a couple rounds because he knew enough about how to pace himself in case the fight went 15. 100 percent is also wasteful and leaves you vulnerable when the energy is gone. The great volume punchers like Marciano and Armstrong do not look like they are throwing everything with full force, the great trainer george benton used to just tell guys to punch using "dead weight" by which he meant, don't put any effort into the punches just put them out there and let your body do the rest, it's pretty effective at saving energy, all tricks the pros know.

I think cutting weight is an issue as well. Even in mma, Conor probably cuts more than 10lbs. Floyd was laughing at him at the weigh in for a reason. And this was before he pulled his pants off. He looked visibly drained. In mma he ends fights quick. He's still relatively inexperienced as a professional if u ask me. I don't think it would hurt to just run and do road work. Fook dat treadmill and bike.

Then u look at his demeanor b4 this fight, he was definitely more nervous than he let on. And no doubt was in panic mode at times. That causes more fatigue.

anyone who tries to box and don't want to do roadwork is cheating themselves, I noticed the mma'rs never ran and it's one reason why they don't have any gas. Him saying it's bad for the knees is true but lots of things are bad for the body in the fight business, you have to deal with it anyways.

In an interview, Team McGregor said they had done a bunch of 12 rounds and all was good. I suppose that if you train for any fight , you fight for the amount of rounds you are going for. So why do people gas if the act is the same? Is it a factor that the environment is so much different and the sparring rounds are not nearly as hard as the competition itself? Or is it the nerves?

Would love to hear a experienced fighter explain this. No fighter bashing etc.

Thanks
From an amateur standpoint :
Sparring and fighting in the ring is not the same because you're fighting someone you don't know, who's there to kill you. You will think he's taller than you, heavier than you. With your family and friends watching and you can't lose in shame in front of them.

In the gym, there's no losing or winning, no stress, you know that guy is not gonna kill you, you feel better, you can try stuff etc.

Try doing an amateur fight, 3 rounds can feel like 3 hours. Sparing is a totally different animal, in a fight you have to deal with shit like adrenaline dumps, reconstitution from cutting weight not to mention the stress from having to go and fight someone who is in there to take your head off.

I see some truth there easy.

At first, "to get ready for", because fighters get built up from 4, to 6, to 8, to 10 rounds in order to scale their progression at an appropriate pace. Once they get to the championship number of rounds, at that intensity and competitive level, I agree, it would take time "to get used to" being there.

This fight really should have been a ten rounder (or an exhibition lol) and the fact they made it twelve was, I think, one of those mechanisms in place to favour Floyd. No hate, just the way it is.

McGregor's not wrong. In fact, when I can separate the facade he presents for PPV sales and the thoughtful answers that creep up now and then, I get a new appreciation for him.

He was venturing into foreign territory in every sense of the word.

Glad I got around to seeing the fight. It was more entertaining than I would have ever thought.

Name me a fighter that punches 12 consecutive rounds?
I'm not going to argue with you on this one, but I'll tell you what, I was impressed with Chino in his first fight against Floyd. What was it ? Like 1200 punches thrown at the end of the fight iirc according to fight stats. That dude is my all time fucking hero for throwing that much heat.

-------------------

As a personal side note, yeah I remember my first time sparring 8 rounds. I was f*cking dying at the end. Shoulders were burnt out, another guy in your face for 8 rounds, getting hit. All that shit will wear you out ontop of having to be a explosive at times when punching a guy trying to dodge what your handing out. Honestly moving around seemed the least taxing.

Im older now and don't do this stuff in a gym anymore (still got the bags at home) but distant control and timing are probably the most important aspects of boxing (imo) that I remember or wished I was always better at.

You should be doing 12 round spars with fresh opponents, like most Pro Boxers do.

Doing 20 rounds will just mess with your conditioning. You should train 12 rounds because you fight 12 rounds - you'll start to pace yourself correctly with the right amount of energy to go 12 without wasting any or blowing yourself out or saving any.
The first time I sparred doing half a round was hell lol.

If you're fighting 12 rounds, you should be sparring 20-24 alternate some "light rounds" in there

Yup.
I remember reading about Oscar sparring 25 rounds a session in preparation for the Trinidad fight.

Saw an interview with Angelo Dundee years ago. He talked about a guy he trained that used to be an excellent cross country runner and terrific miler. He had cardio for days while on the track, but gassed after one round in the ring.

Just a different kind of cardio needed.

Saw an interview with Angelo Dundee years ago. He talked about a guy he trained that used to be an excellent cross country runner and terrific miler. He had cardio for days while on the track, but gassed after one round in the ring.

yup, and we can't forget the little detail of having to take abuse all the way, john madden called boxing the toughest of sports and mentioned the stamina it took, and how it had to be more grueling than a marathon because marathoners aren't getting hit when they are running.

You know another sport that people likely laugh at but when I tried it remember thinking shit this can be tough....tennnis. Blew my mind the kind of cardio needed for that lateral movement and swinging. Fairly explosive sport to be honest.

I think that, too. He didn't have a terrible 8th round. Then Mayweather starts landing a few big shots in the 9th, and McGregor begins falling around the ring from fatigue and bear hugging Mayweather from nothing to hold on. Now there obviously was physical fatigue, and those shots will have hurt, but, to react like that suggests to me that emotionally/mentally he just broke down at that point completely. I personally don't think he is going to be able to stay at the top in MMA for all that long.
He went 1-3 since this post. Good call.
And I typed in "John Madden" into the search bar and it brought up this thread.
There was 10 ppl already viewing this thread, I'm assuming they did the same.

Well, there are plenty of reasons.

One from most important is your ranking and rep.
If you are not am superstar or star, you need serious efforts to climb up till level / ranking when you will get 8 round fights offers in normal places, not alone 10 round fights or to talk about 12 rounders.

Next thing is gas tank.

Next thing to calibrate it's usage, it is very important thing.

Next is attention. Ability to keep this all these 12 rounds. It is more complex thing than ppl think about this stuff.
One from reasons why I'm even not scared cos I didn't had pro boxing career.

Reactions: JSN
Unless it’s DC and Cain sparring, typically your fight night opponents are better than your sparring partners. I think you’d get more resistance from your opponents than you get from the guy you’re used to sparring over and over again. We’ve seen Nunes win 5 round fights and recently we saw her gas in less than 3 because her opponent was not cooperating.

typically your fight night opponents are better than your sparring partners.
If we are talking not about sparring partners as B side lads in sparring, I might a bit disappoint you.
Lads not in rare cases had better opponents than their level is and not always this was paid sparring gig.
It depends.
I had some lads who are damn better than I. Some cases this was friendly stuff.

Naw, for example one boxer my pal had was 1-0-0 no name when he had a bit spar exp with Kovalev ( then kid was just green and small pupp ) and Andrade and one lad who was Oly Bronze medalist etc things and guy is small if compare with these.

If we are talking not about sparring partners as B side lads in sparring, I might a bit disappoint you.
Lads not in rare cases had better opponents than their level is and not always this was paid sparring gig.
It depends.
I had some lads who are damn better than I. Some cases this was friendly stuff.

I’m thinking of Nunes or BJ level type fighters. I think they got to a certain point in which finding a sparring partner better than them was unlikely. Even though we’ve seen Amanda go the distance and BJ finish tough opponents in the 4th and 5th rounds, both are accused of having less than optimal cardio. I think their cardio “issues” were a cause and effect of their opponents in particular cases.

Back